The Future of Drum Corps?

I've always felt that DCI needs to pay more attention to the Open Class division. The reason I say that is because we could sure use some more World Class corps and where else are we going to get them from?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't agree more!! There are a whole lot of ideas out there about restoring that local character to drum corps. I think DCA is steadily cultivating that very thing but at a pace that they can handle both from an organizational and monetary stand point. I have seen and heard many posts on these forums that suggest DCI is doing the opposite. Trying to consolidate its resources to support a much smaller, financially viable circuit. One thing that adds to the dilema is that as the number of corps shrinks, the number of shows must also shrink. This seriously detracts from the already limited visibility drum corps has with people outside of the activity.

Rick Melcher

DCI doesn't start drum corps. They don't really want to represent every drum corps out there either. They want to represent the highest revenue earning drum corps and that's it.

I don't see anything wrong with that. And if you can start a circuit with small drum corps and can get fans to come see these corps perform, more power to you. You'd already be two steps ahead of today's Open Class corps.

By the way, we can all continue the DCI needs to pay more attention to Open Class corps stuff, but it really doesn't make that much sense to me. Open Class corps need to a better job of earning revenue. I believe the Michigan City arrangement is a good start. Now, get butts in the seats during finals week. Want to see DCI pay attention? Show them their's an audience for Open Class corps beyond the 3K who show up now. DCI has enough on its hands with the corps actually earning revenue for the organization let alone take on corps who don't attract fans to the stadiums.

DCI doesn't start drum corps. They don't really want to represent every drum corps out there either. They want to represent the highest revenue earning drum corps and that's it.

I don't see anything wrong with that. And if you can start a circuit with small drum corps and can get fans to come see these corps perform, more power to you. You'd already be two steps ahead of today's Open Class corps.

By the way, we can all continue the DCI needs to pay more attention to Open Class corps stuff, but it really doesn't make that much sense to me. Open Class corps need to a better job of earning revenue. I believe the Michigan City arrangement is a good start. Now, get butts in the seats during finals week. Want to see DCI pay attention? Show them their's an audience for Open Class corps beyond the 3K who show up now. DCI has enough on its hands with the corps actually earning revenue for the organization let alone take on corps who don't attract fans to the stadiums.

To borrow a line from Steve Martin's character in "The Jerk", "Now I get it. It's a profit scheme. That takes all the pressure off."

yes the corps do need to do more. but DCI has the resources to help. sometimes you have to spend a few bucks to make a few more

yes the corps do need to do more. but DCI has the resources to help. sometimes you have to spend a few bucks to make a few more

I have a source who tells me DCI lost money last year...these resources you speak of?

and...again, DCI serves its member corps. Open Class corps are not members but I believe DCI has done more for them then the corps have done for themselves. DCI found the Michigan City deal...one of the best things to happen to OC for a long time.

Also, DCI markets the OC as well...from the DCI website.

But, Dave Gibbs, George and other corps directors would not like revenue that in their mind should be directed to supporting WC corps used to support OC corps instead.

OC could do itself a whole lot of good by getting more AUDIENCE MEMBERS. Fix this one issue and the whole ballgame changes.

This probably worked well before the era of what I call "free agency". In the past, the majority of members were from at least the general area of the corps home town. My son is in a world class corps that has one member from the state where the corps is located. It's hard to promote locally when most of the corps is from somewhere else.

Having said that, I too like the idea and I will see what can be done locally.

Rick Melcher

Rick, I had meant that those who participated in any corps in the summer. The first year my daughter was in high school she was the only one from her school to do corps. She goes back to school and talks it up, shows pictures and examples of the music. Her and her friends (and her friends also include local kids from other schools) talk about it on facebook. She uploads videos of the tour and the great experience it was.

The next year, one of her friends makes the Blue Knights. Now there is a body of two, talking it up within her circle. Do you see where I am going. I mean, friends of friends.....

Then the school lucked out and one of the staff of BK becomes the assistant band director and promotes corps. Now there is a snowball effect because kids and directors are talking.

This year, I read in the paper there were a few more 'local" kids traveling with corps this summer. And those cities who are lucky enough to have local corps, well those corps could do a few visits to talk up their programs. They don't even have to be from the same corps. just have on their member jackets and a willingness to answer questions and be enthusiastic. The whole thought would be to get kids excited about drum corps so the say to themselves, "I wanna do that this summer!"

This sounds small and insignificant, but we have so much available technology for communication out there that requires little cost and could be utilized...many schools have video conference equipment that they bought in the heyday of school technology but probably now sits in the school library collecting dust because no one knew who teleconference with. Corps could use the same type of technology to televise live to school band program and have question and answer sessions.

So if you can't go live, use the tech stuff.

Diane

I have a source who tells me DCI lost money last year...these resources you speak of?

and...again, DCI serves its member corps. Open Class corps are not members but I believe DCI has done more for them then the corps have done for themselves. DCI found the Michigan City deal...one of the best things to happen to OC for a long time.

Also, DCI markets the OC as well...from the DCI website.

But, Dave Gibbs, George and other corps directors would not like revenue that in their mind should be directed to supporting WC corps used to support OC corps instead.

OC could do itself a whole lot of good by getting more AUDIENCE MEMBERS. Fix this one issue and the whole ballgame changes.

DCI has access to MENC lists etc that they can use to get the word out.

agree in many cases DCI has done a lot more for OC corps than they get credit for. But now, DCI can do more...just by working with them. if they want to ##### about losing money on them, they can do two things...cut them loose, or work with them like they do the WC corps so maybe they can MAKE a few bucks on them. who knows....maybe the few bucks they make for them can be better for DCI and the Gibbs, Hoppys of the world who may see they have to invest a little less.

imagine that. OC corps make some money for DCI...who is DCI? the WC corps.

shocking how that could work out to everyones benefit

So what you're telling me is that you'd rather succumb to a business model of a "few profitable corps" rather than the MLB model of "a ton of profitable teams"... :thumbup:

Rick,

I've posted here before about the need to use the stimulus package education money to generate beginning "Parade Corps" in the cities. Inner city public schools are failing...

palamambron@gmail.com

Talk to Steve at Drum Corps World about this. He already has done footwork on this concept. I'm not sure where he is at with it.

Open Class corps are not members

Tom,

Are you voicing a personal opinion or are you speaking for DCI? If Open Class corps are not members, then why are they required to pay membership fees, host shows, house World Class Corps and why are they listed as member corps on the web site?

Before this continues to get off track, I'd like to return to the future of the activity. Are you saying it is the intent of the directors who carry the most weight at DCI to jettison the corps who don't provide a revenue stream for DCI and create a closed circuit of touring ensembles like a circus?

By the way I have been to guidestar. My guess is that DCI lost money this year like a lot of other businesses, through losses in investments. I'm sure there aren't many people who know that SOME DCI money is used for investments.

Rick Melcher