Parade of Champions Review

The weather was as awesome as the lineup. If you missed this show, you missed one of the best regular season shows I've ever seen.

Bush (22B/16D/7P/27CG) has been steadily growing and improving since I first saw them in Wildwood. The battery continues to be the corps' musical foundation, but now the pit is really starting to gel as well. Phasing is till evident throughout the program from the brass line, particularly during the more complicated licks. Marching technique issues also abound in the hornline, though I suspect some of that is the result of adding new folks in. The color guard (though always strong) was one of the best performing units of the night.

Minnesota Brass Inc. (54B/23D/10P/23CG) took to the field with their program "Nocturne." They feature several tasty small ensemble solis throughout the show. Their first big hit was welcomed by the crowd. "My Immortal" was a unique treatment that sets them aside from the other corps who have played it. The drum line was as good (if not better) than they've ever been. The color guard performed very well and was well integrated into the overall visual program. This is the strongest brass line they've ever had from top-to-bottom. What stands out this year is the visual program. Much more velocity and precision. Also the use of simultaneous responsibility and body movement should help them reach the top.

Empire Statesmen (48B/22D/9P/25CG) started out with "Fanfare for the Common Man." Gotta be honest, it was not a great night for Empire's soloists. When the intro finally gets to the hit, we get a little taste of the Empire we all know and love. Their treatment of "Amazing Grace" with the Pledge of Allegiance is done with taste and would have made the late Dr. Almo Sebastianelli proud. Throughout the program there are some weak spots demonstrated by the high brass. This combined with a drill program that just doesn't hold up to the competition could prove costly in the battle for the Top 5 come Labor Day weekend.

Reading Buccaneers (59B/25D/14P/27CG) were the horse to beat tonight. Though I have to admit, I was a bit underwhelmed by the new intro. With six concert bass drum being wheeled out onto the field, I was expecting something much bigger. The highlight of the Bucs performance tonight was the color guard, who performed much better than I had expected after viewing them in Wildwood. I was also surprised to see some "fuzz" in the drumline and the drill not lining up as well at times. Very uncharacteristic of a corps that is usually so well prepared.

Hurricanes (44B/18D/9P/27CG) were the first corps to really throw out some volume! The only thing is, with great power come great responsibility. I LOVE a big low brass sound, but sometimes the baris and contras got a little too carried away and some honking was evident across the ensemble. While the Hurcs color guard is traditionally one of their stronger sections, I did not see them as the best unit out there tonight. Very good mind you, but not the best. The drum line is exceptionally tight this year and could prove to challenge for top honors in that category as well. Despite a show that is a crowd favorite musically, the drill just doesn't have quite the velocity and intensity that MBI and Bucs display. This is particularly evident in the beginning of the drum solo. There should be much more action on the field during that pit feature.

Caballeros (51B/23D/15P/27CG) opened things up in a BIG way tonight. Anyone who thought the Cabs were just gonna roll over this year should got a wake-up call last night! The brass has a full powerful sound, although the upper brass cuts through and sticks out of the ensemble from time-to-time. I don't buy into the chatter that said Cabs don't move. They have as much field coverage as any of their competitors. The section that really grabs my attention is the drumline. These guys are performing the HELL out of their book. But just like in Wildwood, they seem to get a little carried away at times and that leads to dirt from OVER performing. Still, as the Cabs roared to one of the most powerful show endings this year, they served notice that the bull is alive and well and seeing red (or is it green... or BLUE?)

Cabs Alumni displayed their warm & fuzzy side with a delicious little warm up sequence. Drum major extoraordinaire, Jimmy Russo played to the crowd as usual. I still love "I Go to Rio" paired with "Peanut Vendor". What a fun arrangement. This crowd was definitely into the old-school program and really ate it up.

The closing presentation of TAPS for Doc Sebastianell was really well done and very well received.

I want to thank all the performing corps for bringing their A game, DCA for putting on one helluva show, and the folks at the American Legion for all their support and efforts throughout the evening and beyond.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The weather was as awesome as the lineup. If you missed this show, you missed one of the best regular season shows I've ever seen.

Bush (22B/16D/7P/27CG) has been steadily growing and improving since I first saw them in Wildwood. The battery continues to be the corps' musical foundation, but now the pit is really starting to gel as well. Phasing is till evident throughout the program from the brass line, particularly during the more complicated licks. Marching technique issues also abound in the hornline, though I suspect some of that is the result of adding new folks in. The color guard (though always strong) was one of the best performing units of the night.

Minnesota Brass Inc. (54B/23D/10P/23CG) took to the field with their program "Nocturne." They feature several tasty small ensemble solis throughout the show. Their first big hit was welcomed by the crowd. "My Immortal" was a unique treatment that sets them aside from the other corps who have played it. The drum line was as good (if not better) than they've ever been. The color guard performed very well and was well integrated into the overall visual program. This is the strongest brass line they've ever had from top-to-bottom. What stands out this year is the visual program. Much more velocity and precision. Also the use of simultaneous responsibility and body movement should help them reach the top.

Empire Statesmen (48B/22D/9P/25CG) started out with "Fanfare for the Common Man." Gotta be honest, it was not a great night for Empire's soloists. When the intro finally gets to the hit, we get a little taste of the Empire we all know and love. Their treatment of "Amazing Grace" with the Pledge of Allegiance is done with taste and would have made the late Dr. Almo Sebastianelli proud. Throughout the program there are some weak spots demonstrated by the high brass. This combined with a drill program that just doesn't hold up to the competition could prove costly in the battle for the Top 5 come Labor Day weekend.

Reading Buccaneers (59B/25D/14P/27CG) were the horse to beat tonight. Though I have to admit, I was a bit underwhelmed by the new intro. With six concert bass drum being wheeled out onto the field, I was expecting something much bigger. The highlight of the Bucs performance tonight was the color guard, who performed much better than I had expected after viewing them in Wildwood. I was also surprised to see some "fuzz" in the drumline and the drill not lining up as well at times. Very uncharacteristic of a corps that is usually so well prepared.

Hurricanes (44B/18D/9P/27CG) were the first corps to really throw out some volume! The only thing is, with great power come great responsibility. I LOVE a big low brass sound, but sometimes the baris and contras got a little too carried away and some honking was evident across the ensemble. While the Hurcs color guard is traditionally one of their stronger sections, I did not see them as the best unit out there tonight. Very good mind you, but not the best. The drum line is exceptionally tight this year and could prove to challenge for top honors in that category as well. Despite a show that is a crowd favorite musically, the drill just doesn't have quite the velocity and intensity that MBI and Bucs display. This is particularly evident in the beginning of the drum solo. There should be much more action on the field during that pit feature.

Caballeros (51B/23D/15P/27CG) opened things up in a BIG way tonight. Anyone who thought the Cabs were just gonna roll over this year should got a wake-up call last night! The brass has a full powerful sound, although the upper brass cuts through and sticks out of the ensemble from time-to-time. I don't buy into the chatter that said Cabs don't move. They have as much field coverage as any of their competitors. The section that really grabs my attention is the drumline. These guys are performing the HELL out of their book. But just like in Wildwood, they seem to get a little carried away at times and that leads to dirt from OVER performing. Still, as the Cabs roared to one of the most powerful show endings this year, they served notice that the bull is alive and well and seeing red (or is it green... or BLUE?)

Cabs Alumni displayed their warm & fuzzy side with a delicious little warm up sequence. Drum major extoraordinaire, Jimmy Russo played to the crowd as usual. I still love "I Go to Rio" paired with "Peanut Vendor". What a fun arrangement. This crowd was definitely into the old-school program and really ate it up.

The closing presentation of TAPS for Doc Sebastianell was really well done and very well received.

I want to thank all the performing corps for bringing their A game, DCA for putting on one helluva show, and the folks at the American Legion for all their support and efforts throughout the evening and beyond.

Very nice review, although I liked Readings opener, but I admit I am biased as I played in 1974 and we did requem then also..didn't notice the cast on the drummer, but as one who is recovering from rotator cuff(major tear) repair all I can say is MARCH ON BROTHER

The center quad player for Reading was involved in a car accident on the way to Scranton early Saturday morning. He probably shouldn't have been on the field but knowing the person very well, his heart wouldn't let him sit idle.

Thanks,

Bill Snook

Thanks for the info. I am sorry for his misfortune. Hope he recovers OK and I love his Buc dedication...That is something that has never changed thru the years...ARGHHH!

props to Bucs tenor player and great review Sayre

The center quad player for Reading was involved in a car accident on the way to Scranton early Saturday morning. He probably shouldn't have been on the field but knowing the person very well, his heart wouldn't let him sit idle.

Thanks,

Bill Snook

I saw the cast on his arm and wondered what had happened. Kudos to him for marching after being involved in an accident! Great review Sayre, thanks!

Now that I got my PC review out of the way... here's what I want to add: (some personal thoughts, because I'm not sure the judges got this one quite right.) Keep in mind, the review above is what I saw. But I also know that there are a lot of questions to be answered. Let me try to answer them here...

Remember - no holds barred, no punches pulled.

If you're easily offended, don't hate the player, hate the game.

Here's how the judges scored the corps:

1. Buccaneers 88.963 (.3)

2. Hurricanes 86.863

3. MN Brass Inc 85.925

4. Caballeros 85.050

5. Empire Statesmen 83.850

6. Bushwackers 78.150

Drum Major - MBI

Color Guard - Hurcs

Honor Guard - Hurcs

GE - Bucs

Visual - Bucs

Perc - Bucs

Brass - Bucs

Here's how I scored the corps:

1. MN Brass Inc 92.238

1. Buccaneers 92.238

3. Caballeros 88.900

4. Hurricanes 87.688

5. Empire Statesmen 85.500

6. Bushwackers 74.725

Drum Major - Bush

Color Guard - Bush

Honor Guard - Hurcs

GE - MBI

Visual - Bucs

Perc - Bucs & MBI (tie)

Brass - MBI

Why? Bucs perform like robots. Albeit very talented robots, but there is a lack of emotion in an emotionally overwhelming book. In Wildwood I could feel passion. Last night I felt nothing. Minnesota Brass has it all over them in that department. Hurricanes were alot of fun to watch, but their hornline lacks control from over-performing, much in the same way Cabs drumline does. And no, I didn't feel Hurcs had the best guard of the evening. Bucs guard was SOLID. And Bush performed the hell out of their show. Minnesota's guard was highly underrated as well. In truth, I thought the Hurcs guard had a slighly off night. Things weren't as crisp as usual. I mean no disrespect to anyone, and sorry if your feelings are hurt, but I have to call 'em like I see 'em.

Here's how I scored the corps:

1. MN Brass Inc 92.238

1. Buccaneers 92.238 3. Caballeros 88.900

4. Hurricanes 87.688

5. Empire Statesmen 85.500

6. Bushwackers 74.725

Drum Major - Bush

Color Guard - Bush

Honor Guard - Hurcs

GE - MBI

Visual - Bucs

Perc - Bucs & MBI (tie)

Brass - MBI

Were you and I at the same show?? 'Cause Bucs registered one of the most convincing wins I've seen since I started following the activity back in the mid '70's. I was looking forward to a strong showing from Brass too, however drill design (or lack thereoff) really killed them.

Were you and I at the same show?? 'Cause Bucs registered one of the most convincing wins I've seen since I started following the activity back in the mid '70's. I was looking forward to a strong showing from Brass too, however drill design (or lack thereoff) really killed them.

I'm going to have to respectfully agree to disagree with you on that one. I thought MBI's drill design was a serious notch up from past seasons and held up quite well. High velocity, similar use of simultaneous responsibilities to Bucs, though I will add that on the whole, Minnesota's drill seemed to "hit" more consistently than Reading's.

In my opinion, Empire and Reading had flat performances last night while MBI and Cabs lit it up. That's just an observation of their performance and in no way relates to quality. However I could not decide between Bucs & MBI and I seemed to be more nit-picky with Hurcs I guess.

I thought MBI's drill design was a serious notch up from past seasons and held up quite well. High velocity, similar use of simultaneous responsibilities to Bucs, though I will add that on the whole, Minnesota's drill seemed to "hit" more consistently than Reading's.
Really?? Perhaps you should take another look at their OTL. It has been discussed on these forums, ad naseum, about who has more marching demand than whom, BUT...MBI just doesn't move....and it don't get much better AFTER the OTL.... Edited by VOReason