Parade of Champions Review

Really?? Perhaps you should take another look at their OTL. It has been discussed on these forums, ad naseum, about who has more marching demand than whom, BUT...MBI just doesn't move....and it don't get much better AFTER the OTL....

A few years ago I would have agreed with you. Not this year. The visual program is on par with Reading's. That's just my take on it from a drill/visual design point of view.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago I would have agreed with you. Not this year. The visual program is on par with Reading's. That's just my take on it from a drill/visual design point of view.
Well, we will just have to agree to disagree. But, MBI...they were the folks that performed behind Bush, right?? However I DO agree with your placement of Cabs over Hurcs. I will offer up full my review later on this evening.

Sayre, I know you and I saw the same show last night, man, your personal insight hammers the same points I saw last night. I thought Cabs beat Hurcs, I watched their rehearsal yesterday and it seemed like they left the best performance on the practice field. MBI came on last night and just smoked the show. I would have had the captions scored pretty much the same way you have them and I left last night wondering if the judges saw the same show we did. After looking at the recap sheets today, somehow, I don't think they did. Empire's show while it was done well, it was a flat performance. I have seen better from this corps and was kinda disappointed in the performance level. I would have had a toss up between Bucs and Bush for guard as I thought both performed extremely well. Reading IMHO is starting to perform like robots, they need to interjert feeling back into the show. As for Labor day weekend, I think MBI, Hurcs and Cabs have a shot at Reading. Reading though will not lay down and die, they will make it difficult, no almost impossible to beat them, but I feel it is possible.

I often wonder about the reasoning behind reviews. I often wonder if people are reviewing the performance and the show that was put on, or the corps itself over the past 10 years. I always sense a strong dose of "what has always been" in reviews on here. I often wonder if all the corps put on different uniforms and changed their names and were presented them as 6 completely different corps, how the reviews would turn out.

I see a lot of people giving empire a ton of credit, where I don't think credit is really due this year. They have always been good in the past, so I've noticed reviews of them be particularly forgiving. Where my opinion would be that they just don't have it this year (yet). I see people refusing to believe that the Bushwackers have really fallen off their stride. Instead we all focus on the positives of their program instead of its glaring weaknesses. The hurricanes have been miserably mediocre for so many years, and no one wants to seem to accept that they can change or be the best at something. MBI is still this massive mystery corps that seems to be the center of everyones undying affection because they get seen so little. Cabs always get the cabs were cabs thing, but no one ever really focuses on what exactly they did good or bad (besides that they were loud). I can almost predict what reviews will be before I even read them, even if I've never seen the shows or scores before.

It's very possible that this sentiment is mine alone, but I still contend that there is a ton of bias in every review on here (probably in my own as well). That being said, I'm still glad people write the reviews, because that people actually care. And if I agreed with everyone review I read, what would be the #### point of reading them?

Also, it was an AMAZING show in Scranton. I don't agree with how a lot of the captions were scored and the spreads associated with them, but I do think the overall ranking is correct. But from 1 to 6, these corps were smokin' and an absolute pleasure to watch.

But from 1 to 6, these corps were smokin' and an absolute pleasure to watch.

Now that's something I think we can all agree on.

Really?? Perhaps you should take another look at their OTL. It has been discussed on these forums, ad naseum, about who has more marching demand than whom, BUT...MBI just doesn't move....and it don't get much better AFTER the OTL....

I will add, I thought Bucs were awesome...but I thought MBI was just a touch below...I believe DCA will be another "black and blue" year. MBI not moving? Holy cow...the movement was dynamic. I also thought their percussion section is going to be the class of DCA. MBI reminded me of all those great Brigs corps in the late 90's.

Bush's drill hurts them...they try to cover the field, but with a brass line that small, the field coverage created tears, intonation problems and a 'vacant" sound. I do not see them being within 6 or 7 points of Empire or Cabs...spread, I felt, should have been larger.

Cabs...my god....that brass line is awesome....and their visual show is a real treat.

I loved Hurcs..but cannot figure out what they are doing to score higher than Cabs or MBI.

Cabs Alumni...ok, I am biased...I expected to see a corps with huge visual problems and a weaker brass line then the past three years....am I relieved to be WRONG...they were gorgeous....and the chorale warm up was one of the most moving moments of the evening. Way to go my rump, rump friends.

I was at the show last night as well. Reading certainly won it, no doubt in my mind. They are monsters! :lol: A beautifully realized show and bravo to them! I would have put Minnesota in 2nd over Hurcs, but the Hurricane's excellent guard was 2 points over MBI's - accounting for most of the spread between the two corps - even though MBI beat them in Brass overall, Field Percussion & Field Visual. 2nd Place is gonna be tight.

Disclaimer: While I have been associated with MBI in my years in drum corps, this is the first time I've seen them this year in competition (due to the fact that I am living in Washington DC for the summer), and I try not to pull any punches when critiquing my old corps. But I will say that MBI is very, very good. I thought their hornline - along with Reading's - sounded almost like a pipe organ in it's depth and resonance and both of them stood out from the pack. Their percussion is daring and uses terrific body movement to accentuate the music. The guard work is very well written but has to be a bit cleaner for it to be read properly. From a show design standpoint, the music is coherent, but not as cohesive as it could be. The 5 or 6 different pieces might be too disparate for an 11-minute production. But hey, It's just my opinion and you are welcome to disagree.

I do think MBI's show needs two or three viewings to appreciate the subtleties though, and this could hurt them at finals. It's not a show that can be immediately apprehended with one viewing, especially if you are not a big fan of progressive Jazz. The Hurricanes on the other hand have a show that is easily read the first time you see it. And it's great! But, as much as I like it, I don't think the show offers quite as much depth. Basically, I think MBI and the Buc's have very sophisticated programs in two very different styles. Both are a notch above the rest.

I really liked all the shows (even the Bushwackers, though I did feel they were very weak in horns). It's a terrific collection of corps this year! I think the Buccaneers are on track to win again and that's OK by me, even though my heart will be with MBI.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Renegades at DCA too. I don't think the order of the top 6 are at all settled!

Edited by Ron H

I think I've heard since the start of the season that every corps "moves a lot" and that every corps "doesn't move very much". I really think that at least bucs, MBI, hurcs, and cabs, are all pushing the envelope in their visual package. MBI moves a ton and then I think stops for a ton. Bucs are moving throughout though I think at slightly smaller paces, Cabs are hauling at different points in their program, and Hurcs have their tempos cranked to pretty insane levels throughout most of their program. I always try to guess tempos when I'm watching a show for some reason, and Hurcs were pushing at least 160 through every piece but their ballad, and were close to 190 at the end of their closer (that based on my watch and my subdivision, so it's probably pretty off, but #### it was quick). Either way these "Senior" corps were moving like solid open class DCI corps.

I think the members of the top 4 corps that are gasping for air at the end of their programs would be very discouraged to here that people think they don't move :lol: .

Bucs have a such a great program that even when it's not one of their best nights-they still have more than enough gas. I thought it was a pretty clear victory for them. I hope the tenor player is ok b/c those dudes are pretty awesome. I like the six concert bd opening and some of the mood changes in the show.

Hurcs were clearly in second in my book, I thought their guard was their usual brilliance and with the percussion-particularly the batterty-especially the tenors playing tasty licks cleanly. There is something about their drill that always seems a little less clean than some of the other elites. But I thought they were definately in second place last night.

MBI was a little less precise in every caption. The battery seemed a bit more timid than some of the other lines and that may have hurt. They have the show and could bypass Hurcs if they clean & refine a bit more.

Cabs ten snares are starting to mesh nicely. They are an awesome sight lined up. The entire section is really begining to own their charts. The brass has really lush sound-cool arrangements. Lots of GE impact moments like the kind of rap beat section that I think I could listen to for about an hour non-stop. Big guard sells their show.

Empire was a little flat-just seemed a little tired & as humid as it was I'm not surprised. I also thought their battery was not as clean as it usually is-heard a little dirt-not much but enough. Empire's guard does not seem to have the impact of the other big players. I suspect their next show will see them move up the ladder.

Bush has small corps woes like some other folks in this thread indicated. The brass section has a tough book both musically and drill. The percussion section and guard are the strengths. I think Bush's guard was the biggest of the night and they do a big time job of equipment handling.

Cabs Alumni gave the crowd what they wanted-thrilling soloists, funky Latin percussion sections with some nice drum to drum work by the snares on the solo-campy drum major, and BIG brassy sound.