BDB/SCVC

It is actually worse than you think, CanadianDirector. There was a time when Canadian corps were on par with those in U.S. - not at the WC level, but at the OC level.

Well back in the seventies both the Oakland Crusaders and Seneca Optomists were Open Class finalists. Dutch Boy in 1990 and always in the hunt of that 12th spot from 1987-1992 or so, and Kiwanis Kavaliers just barely missing it in 1996(?), not to mention Les Etoiles and didn't Acadamie Musicale go Open as well?. I think that Canada has had a strong showing in World Class and a great showing in Class A/All Girl/Div. A/A60, Div. II/III. There would be no easy answer in restarting the drum corps community in Ontario, however a few things would need to change, but that is a totally whole other thread.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well back in the seventies both the Oakland Crusaders and Seneca Optomists were Open Class finalists. Dutch Boy in 1990 and always in the hunt of that 12th spot from 1987-1992 or so, and Kiwanis Kavaliers just barely missing it in 1996(?), not to mention Les Etoiles and didn't Acadamie Musicale go Open as well?. I think that Canada has had a strong showing in World Class and a great showing in Class A/All Girl/Div. A/A60, Div. II/III. There would be no easy answer in restarting the drum corps community in Ontario, however a few things would need to change, but that is a totally whole other thread.

I know. In 1983, Dutch Boy was our chief competition for a top 25 spot. I have followed them since, and I have immense respect for their organization. They have survived, after so many other outfits - on either side of the Canada/U.S. border - have failed.

=======================================

On the whole, I liken the situation in Open Class today to this analogy:

A bus breaks down in Death Valley, somewhere along Route 95, on the way to Vegas. It's mid-summer, and temperatures are peaking at about 115 degrees Farenheit. The passengers pile out. No one knows how to fix the bus. No one has the money to pay for a tow truck. And no one is stopping to help them; nobody seems to care.

Meanwhile, a Ferrari roars by them at 120 miles an hour. There are two people inside, on the way to a convention in Vegas. They look at the passengers from the bus. The driver of the Ferrari wonders to himself, "Gee, I wonder why those folks are stopped by the side of the road, in Death Valley? Maybe they're looking at the scenery, or they want to pick flowers."

Then the folks in the Ferrari get to Vegas, and arrive at their hotel. Then they find out this shocking news: all the folks in the bus were the other attendees of their convention. The convention promotor has put up a big sign, saying "Convention cancelled, due to lack of attendees."

I hope my analogy isn't too obscure.

Edited by oldschooldbc

I know. In 1983, Dutch Boy was our chief competition for a top 25 spot. I have followed them since, and I have immense respect for their organization. They have survived, after so many other outfits - on either side of the Canada/U.S. border - have failed.

=======================================

On the whole, I liken the situation in Open Class today to this analogy:

A bus breaks down in Death Valley, somewhere along Route 95, on the way to Vegas. It's mid-summer, and temperatures are peaking at about 115 degrees Farenheit. The passengers pile out. No one knows how to fix the bus. No one has the money to pay for a tow truck. And no one is stopping to help them; nobody seems to care.

Meanwhile, a Ferrari roars by them at 120 miles an hour. There are two people inside, on the way to a convention in Vegas. They look at the passengers from the bus. The driver of the Ferrari wonders to himself, "Gee, I wonder why those folks are stopped by the side of the road, in Death Valley? Maybe they're looking at the scenery, or they want to pick flowers."

Then the folks in the Ferrari get to Vegas, and arrive at their hotel. Then they find out this shocking news: all the folks in the bus were the other attendees of their convention. The convention promotor has put up a big sign, saying "Convention cancelled, due to lack of attendees."

I hope my analogy isn't too obscure.

Nope, not too obscure.... a lot of buses have been breaking down along 95 the past thirty years.