Undefeated or Underdog

Oh I know... I just thought it was funny after reading DCImonkey's post.

Anyway, we're not even arguing about the same thing. Points are being missed left and right.

not to mention, yalls argument doesn't even answer the thread's question

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not to mention, yalls argument doesn't even answer the thread's question

Indeed. Classic example of DCP at it's finest.

Whichever show/corps I happen to be the bigger fan of that year. (i only see them on Fan Network anyway and I know that is a flawed way to judge.) Selfish, eh?

Looking at some of the other points raised, I think that in the way that DCI is structured, the performance "on the night" of finals is the be all and end all. If you turn it into a league with points awarded for each competition or like motor racing where your place in each race counts for points, then you would be placing consistency at a premium and possibly running the risk of the end of the season being anti-climactic coz a corps could have it all wrapped up before Indy even happens. (Of course this could lead to some truly awe-inspiring programmes/performances because the pressure is off).

Corps all know how the year's champions are decided and build towards finals week accordingly.

Roll on Saturday and may the best corps as judged, win.

So let me get this straight... some of you find it more impressive for someone to lead a NASCAR race for 499 out of 500 laps instead of someone coming from 2, 3, 4, 10, 25 cars back and pulling out the victory on lap 500?

:blink:

So let me get this straight... some of you find it more impressive for someone to lead a NASCAR race for 499 out of 500 laps instead of someone coming from 2, 3, 4, 10, 25 cars back and pulling out the victory on lap 500?

:blink:

No I find it more impressive when a NASCAR driver wins most races and is consitently in 1st 2nd or 3rd the whole time.

Edited by bluublood

The post was about 2005 :blink:

OK; I can see that argument now (the post I responded to said something about the "current 4th place corps" and I assumed current meant current).

Either way, in all reality the corps would have to be chose before the season even started, since the Olympics are in the summer (and usually mid-DCI season). And if that's the case, you go with the corps who has consistently laced in Top 4 all but once since 1975, and Top 3 all but once since 1994 IMO.

No I find it more impressive when a NASCAR driver wins most races and is consitently in 1st 2nd or 3rd the whole time.

You don't see the impressiveness in the little guy who should have NO CHANCE of winning defying all odds and coming out on top?

:laughing:

No. But:

I find Phantom's win last year impressive. This year, though, they are NO WHERE NEAR even Top 6, let alone Top 3, let alone Championship caliber. I find Cadets show this year impressive, and Crown as well. But last year Cadets were not that good, and have not made Top 3 40% of the time the past 10 seasons, let alone going back to 1975. Crown's show is great this year, but they've never even made Top 3.

Cavaliers have been pretty darn consistent the past decade, and you have to go back to 1997 to the year they missed Top 6.

Blue Devils, however, missed Top 6 last in 1974!

So yes, it is impressive when a corps wins a Championship, especially when they come from behind to win it; I don't think anyone here is taking anything away from that. Heck, I'd MUCH rather see SCV, Crown, Cadets, and even Cavaliers win this year than Blue Devils (I don't really like BD's show much this year).

But lets rephrase your question: you find it more impressive that a corps came from behind, won a title coming from 2nd-1st on Finals night by the slimmest margin in the history of drum corps, than a corps that has won 12 Championships in less than 35 years and has placed no lower than 5th place since 1975?

You don't see the impressiveness in the little guy who should have NO CHANCE of winning defying all odds and coming out on top?

I see it. That is an impressive feat (singular). But I still find it more impressive to ALWAYS be in the hunt

No. But:

I find Phantom's win last year impressive. This year, though, they are NO WHERE NEAR even Top 6, let alone Top 3, let alone Championship caliber. I find Cadets show this year impressive, and Crown as well. But last year Cadets were not that good, and have not made Top 3 40% of the time the past 10 seasons, let alone going back to 1975. Crown's show is great this year, but they've never even made Top 3.

Cavaliers have been pretty darn consistent the past decade, and you have to go back to 1997 to the year they missed Top 6.

Blue Devils, however, missed Top 6 last in 1974!

So yes, it is impressive when a corps wins a Championship, especially when they come from behind to win it; I don't think anyone here is taking anything away from that. Heck, I'd MUCH rather see SCV, Crown, Cadets, and even Cavaliers win this year than Blue Devils (I don't really like BD's show much this year).

But lets rephrase your question: you find it more impressive that a corps came from behind, won a title coming from 2nd-1st on Finals night by the slimmest margin in the history of drum corps, than a corps that has won 12 Championships in less than 35 years and has placed no lower than 5th place since 1975?

I guess I understood the question differently. I understood the context of the question to be within a season.

ie..Is it more impressive for someone to win all the shows in a season, or to only win the last one?

Of course it's impressive if an organization has a history of winning championships....but what are you comparing it to...an organization that hasn't?

I think it's a far more interesting question if you stick to within a season.

Edited by CuriousMe