Open Class Question

I was contemplating marching a open class group this upcoming year and was wondering... What are the up sides of marching a open class corps compared to a world class corps?

I'm 17 and a Senior in high school and tried out for world this past year and made it [ gotta love Spirit <( ] but I don't think I wanna go back there... Nothing wrong with the organization of course loved the staff and loved the people.

I was going to open class in the first place before my band director stopped me because in his words " Open Class corps aren't really good" and that's when I wanted to punch him in the face... but anyways....

If anyone can help me out that would be great

I was contemplating marching a open class group this upcoming year and was wondering... What are the up sides of marching a open class corps compared to a world class corps?

I'm 17 and a Senior in high school and tried out for world this past year and made it [ gotta love Spirit <( ] but I don't think I wanna go back there... Nothing wrong with the organization of course loved the staff and loved the people.

I was going to open class in the first place before my band director stopped me because in his words " Open Class corps aren't really good" and that's when I wanted to punch him in the face... but anyways....

If anyone can help me out that would be great

I have never marched Open Class but my daughter, who is 16, has marched Blue Devils "B" for three years. The advantages for her has really been the rehearsal schedule and the condensed tour. Since we are from Texas, school doesn't get out for us until the second week of June. Because of that, she would have had to be flying back and forth to even be able to rehearse Blue Devils "A" camp schedule which is also difficult financially.

Speaking of finances, since BDB has a condensed tour the financial obligation isn't as high.

What she gets in return is the experience of marching corps with a high quality, classy organization with an exceptional staff that still is requires a "World Class" commitment to excellence. :laughing:

Hi Tuba,

Orch said it right... I have had 3 sons in open. All really enjoyed the experience and learned a ton. Their corp was better than any high school and better that most any college (i cannot think of a single college that has better marching, but I am not going to make that a blanket statement). The schedule is not as demanding, but still it may be one of the harder things that you have ever done. My sons got in better shape here than in sports, and for one of them, it really helped with a military academy. BTW, the open class corp was and is better than the marching band at the academy.

Jump on in, you will not regret it, and you will cherish the memories.

after you are done performing you will get to go watch all the big dogs shows. thats something I really enjoyed in open class, but when I marched world class I didn't get to do ONCE!

Hear! Hear! When I marched OC (then called "Class B") I got a chance to see and hear all kinds of "Class A corps", now called WC. Then when I went to a Class A corps, I never got a chance to see squat. Sometimes we would get beat by another corps and we didn't even know what their show was like.

I marched Open Class and never regretted a single moment of it. You're still able to work a day job and practice at night, and have more of a chance of coming back to that job after tour. If you're heading off to college, this might be one less thing you have to worry about. It can get a little rough, but the feel of performing doesn't change. You're still busting your butt for a great show - shame on your director for knocking on Open Class! ^_~

It might be better for your knee, too. Building strength and getting a little more time to rest it than you would on a full-out, World Class tour. Just some things to think about. Good luck with where ever you decide to march!