94 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a blu-ray player?

• Yes
    • No, not until they are less expensive
    • No, but I plan on buying one this year
    • No, but I plan on buying one next year
    • No, but I plan on buying one in 2+ years
    • No, no interest in ever getting one
  2. 2. If you had the option, would you purchase dci Finals on Blu-ray?

• Yes, regardless of cost
    • Yes, but only if they were similarly priced to the dvd version
    • Yes, but only if they were less than 150% of the dvd's price
    • No, the dvd version is fine for me
  3. 3. Do you own a high-definition television?

• Yes - 720p
    • Yes - 1080p
    • No, standard definition

On the latest field pass, Tom Blair addressed the issue of putting finals on blu-ray and sounded like he doubted that people would have interest in getting a blu-ray version of finals and followed by telling people to let him know if they did.

Well, I constructed this poll to study who has blu-ray players, a desire to buy finals on blu-ray, and who has high-definition televisions. I'll probably bump the hell out of this to get a larger sample size.

Personally, I am a strong proponent of blu-ray as I have seen the difference!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the latest field pass, Tom Blair addressed the issue of putting finals on blu-ray and sounded like he doubted that people would have interest in getting a blu-ray version of finals and followed by telling people to let him know if they did.

Well, I constructed this poll to study who has blu-ray players, a desire to buy finals on blu-ray, and who has high-definition televisions. I'll probably bump the hell out of this to get a larger sample size.

Personally, I am a strong proponent of blu-ray as I have seen the difference!

My incredibly awesome wife bought me a blu-ray player (PS3), HD TV, and Bose home theater system for birthday gifts last year.

Since they I haven't purchased any DVD's, and I probably won't ever buy DVD's again. DVD is an outdated format, and I won't buy any DVD's if I don't have to (though I did buy some WGI DVD's this season for $35). If DCI put out DVD's of finals only for the same price as WGI with no frills, just the shows, I'd probably buy them every year. But paying $100 for an outdated format seems silly to me. IMO, if they stay with DVD they should make them WAY more affordable. Maybe they could offer a finals only/no frills version similar to WGI, and then the 'deluxe' version, similar to what they offer now.

Sorry that's OT!

Back to the topic, I would buy Blu-rays of Finals if they were fairly priced.

That kind of attitude seems like it comes from a Luddite. Although, it doesn't surprise me. Say yes to synths DCI, but no to Blu-ray. Meh.

How many people own PS3's? Probably a decent amount.

To me, it sounds like someone doesn't want to pony up the cash to upgrade equipment.

Of course, even if there is an overwhelming response to this thread, we all know that DCP polls are entirely unscientific.

To me, it sounds like someone doesn't want to pony up the cash to upgrade equipment.

That's probably the heart of the matter. It's expensive for a small business to burn/duplicate Blu-ray, and probably not worth it for DCI to upgrade as they would probably have to charge an obscene amount of money. I mean, if the DVD's are running $100, I can't imagine what DCI would have to charge for Blu-rays!

As far as I'm concerned, video quality is a lower priority than audio quality. In the past few years (2004-on), I haven't been all that impressed with DCI's ability to manage the miked pits in their recordings. Hearing corps live, one still gets blasted by hornlines but yet can now hear more clarity from the perc via amplification. This is generally good. However, when one listens to recordings, oftentimes the pit overpowers the hornline! This is definitely a recording issue and will need to be addressed by DCI before I get too excited about Blu-ray discs or HD video.

As far as I'm concerned, video quality is a lower priority than audio quality. In the past few years (2004-on), I haven't been all that impressed with DCI's ability to manage the miked pits in their recordings. Hearing corps live, one still gets blasted by hornlines but yet can now hear more clarity from the perc via amplification. This is generally good. However, when one listens to recordings, oftentimes the pit overpowers the hornline! This is definitely a recording issue and will need to be addressed by DCI before I get too excited about Blu-ray discs or HD video.

Good point. I answered "Yes regarless of cost" ... But after thinking about it, the real answer is:

If people review the DVD's and say that some of the corps are completley drowned out by the over-amped pit, (as has happened in multiple seasons since pits began being amped) then I will do exactly as I do now. Which is keep my money for the years that are badly produced/amped/managed.

I love drum corps. LOVE IT! But I am not going to pay money for Blu-ray or DVD of any year - regardless of the price - if the audio is completley FUBARed in the quest to give a couple of guys in the pressbox a manipulated sound balance.