is story telling necessary

Doesn't nearly ALL music tell a story of some kind? Whether or not it's apparent to a lot of people I know that music throughout the ages, from chants and singing to classical symphonies to drum circles to hard rock, many many MANY songs and tunes are written with a story in mind to be told. Not sure why that idea offends so many drum corps fans.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

However, look at Cunningham's actual work. Whether he tied the choreography to the music or not, the choreography itself always had a very clear technical and emotional through-line. Not a story, to be sure, but it wasn't a bunch of disjointed moves with no internal connection.

I find it interesting that you would say that. Merce was often given to totally random design--literally. He would cast a die to determine the next move in a choreography, let random chance decide. Kinda hard to say he was chasing a through-line that way.

Theme or not to theme???

I think it's kind of interesting that there was no real story telling until Sky Ryders started doing it. There were themes for sure but not the detailed story telling like with the OZ show and West Side Story. The judges had a hard time grasping and accepting the idea at first in '85 and they cought on in '86.

Truth is, I was envious of Corps like the Madison Scouts that let their playing and style speak for itself. Both Story telling and non themed shows can be entertaining and enjoyed by a drum corps crowd.

I will tell you I do get tired of only hearing part of a melody. I got all excited about the James Bond show of the Cavaliers and it ended up being a James Bond teaser instead of all out complete or mostly complete James Bond tunes. Crown is doing the same thing this year. it jsut dissapoints me when I hear a corps play parts of melodies.

Story telling is not necessary and a theme is not necessary. These things might hlep come up with souvenir ideas though.

It would be totally exceptable for a corps to play an Opener, Drum Feature, Concert Piece and Closer and the songs not be related in any way.

Corps used to have shows like this years ago.

Edited by Kansan

I dunno? I go to dozens of concerts every year, didn't miss the story telling one bit. Loved the music, the choreography in some of them was pretty good too.

Actually some of the most trying stuff I've seen tried to tell a story instead of just playing.

Regards,

John

Edited by sarnia sam

I find it interesting that you would say that. Merce was often given to totally random design--literally. He would cast a die to determine the next move in a choreography, let random chance decide. Kinda hard to say he was chasing a through-line that way.

He kept using the dice, though, didn't he? ;)

Fair point, though. I'd still maintain that he linked all the weirdness into a single, unified whole.