Medalist statistics

If Crown holds on to 2nd place, they will be just the 10th corps to do so in the DCI era, the latest corps to do so since Star in 1993, and the first non-champion corps to do so since Cavaliers placed 2nd in 1990. (Last one before that was 27th in 1980!)

Only 12 different corps have finished in the top three in the 37 years (not counting this one) of the modern DCI era.

Only 8 have won championships

Only 9 groups have finished 2nd

Only10 have finished 3rd. Of those, Blue Devils, Cadets, SCV and Cavaliers own the lion's share of medals, followed by Phantom and then a sharp drop off.

Medalist corps and their number of 1st,2nd.3rd and total medalist finishes)

Corps (1st,2nd, 3rd, total)

Blue Devils (12,6,7,27)

Cadets (9,6,5,20)

Santa Clara (6,7,8,21)

Cavaliers (7,5,6,18)

Phantom (2,5,4,11)

Madison (2,2,1,5)

Star of Indiana (1,0,2,3)

Kingsmen (1,0,1,2)

Blue Stars (0,1,1,2)

Troopers (0,1,0,1)

27th Lancers (0,1,0,1)

Bridgemen (0,0,1,1)

Stats from corpsreps.com

So...whatever the finish tonight, congratulations to Crown on their ascendency to DCI's elite, congrats to Devs, Cadets, Vanguard, Cavs and Phantom on continuing traditions of excellence, congratulations to Troopers and Blue Stars for hanging in there over all these years and returning to finals, and congratulations to the remainder of the top 12 and everyone else for a great year of drum corps!

I would add to that that a top 3 finish will cement Crown's place as only the second "new" corps -- corps that began its existence after DCI was founded -- to be a medalist.

No matter what happens tonight, over the next few years, I am counting on Carolina Crown (and maybe others!) to take Star of Indiana's place as the "shaker-upper" of the "old boys club".

I think I speak for many fans when I say that DCI is just more fun when surprising things happen and when the big boys have to watch out for the new kid on the block.

Good luck tonight, Carolina Crown, and please keep up the good work.

Interesting seeing it that way...........thank you!

I am already going through drum corps withdrawal today. Went to the theatre on Thursday, web-cast Friday, now what? I almost want to get in the car and head to Indy! grrrrrrr

Congrats to all finalist, its really been a great year for Drum Corps!

Nice job presenting normally uninteresting numbers. :)

question: Are the Troopers the first corps ever to take a year off, go innactive, then return to the top twelve?

Edited by wvu80

question: Is Troopers the first corps to ever take a year off, go innactive, whatever, then return to the top twelve?

Magic pretty much folded and then rejoined the top 12 in 2002, right?

question: Are the Troopers the first corps ever to take a year off, go innactive, then return to the top twelve?

Freelancers did it back in the 80's. I think they took off 1987 or 1988 not sure which one, and I believe they made finals in 1989.

Bluecoats folded twice but that was before we ever made finals, although I believe we are still the only corps to go inactive on two seperate (1979 & 1983) occasions and then make finals.

Just for fun, using the Olympic medal weighting system (3 points for gold, 2 points for silver, 1 point for bronze):

Blue Devils: 12 * 3 + 6 * 2 + 7 * 1 = 55

Cadets 9 * 3 + 6 * 2 + 5 * 1 = 44

Santa Clara 6 * 3 + 7 * 2 + 8 * 1 = 40

Cavaliers 7 * 3 + 5 * 2 + 6 * 1 = 37

Phantom 2 * 3 + 5 * 2 + 4 * 1 = 20

Madison 2 * 3 + 2 * 2 + 1 * 1 = 11

Star of Indiana 1 * 3 + 1 * 2 + 2 * 1 = 7 <-- PS Star should be (1,1,2,4) right? 1993 was a 2nd place finish

Kingsmen 1 * 3 + 1 * 1 = 4

Blue Stars 1 * 2 + 1 * 1 = 3

Troopers 1 * 2 = 2

27th Lancers 1 * 2 = 2

Bridgemen 1 * 1 = 1

...and they came out in the same order you posted them.

Edited by JimBurnell

Now don't go messing things up with verifiable statistics and facts. :tongue:

Good numbers here. And that certainly puts Crown's recent run into perspective. It also says that the "new kid on the block" label may last for a little while, regardless of how they finish this year.

Freelancers did it back in the 80's. I think they took off 1987 or 1988 not sure which one, and I believe they made finals in 1989.

Bluecoats folded twice but that was before we ever made finals, although I believe we are still the only corps to go inactive on two seperate (1979 & 1983) occasions and then make finals.

Freelancers went dark in 1986 and made finals in 1989. They still have an active drumline.

If Crown holds on to 2nd place, they will be just the 10th corps to do so in the DCI era, the latest corps to do so since Star in 1993, and the first non-champion corps to do so since Cavaliers placed 2nd in 1990. (Last one before that was 27th in 1980!)

Only 12 different corps have finished in the top three in the 37 years (not counting this one) of the modern DCI era.

Only 8 have won championships

Only 9 groups have finished 2nd

Only10 have finished 3rd. Of those, Blue Devils, Cadets, SCV and Cavaliers own the lion's share of medals, followed by Phantom and then a sharp drop off.

Medalist corps and their number of 1st,2nd.3rd and total medalist finishes)

Corps (1st,2nd, 3rd, total)

Blue Devils (12,6,7,27)

Cadets (9,6,5,20)

Santa Clara (6,7,8,21)

Cavaliers (7,5,6,18)

Phantom (2,5,4,11)

Madison (2,2,1,5)

Star of Indiana (1,0,2,3)

Kingsmen (1,0,1,2)

Blue Stars (0,1,1,2)

Troopers (0,1,0,1)

27th Lancers (0,1,0,1)

Bridgemen (0,0,1,1)

Stats from corpsreps.com

So...whatever the finish tonight, congratulations to Crown on their ascendency to DCI's elite, congrats to Devs, Cadets, Vanguard, Cavs and Phantom on continuing traditions of excellence, congratulations to Troopers and Blue Stars for hanging in there over all these years and returning to finals, and congratulations to the remainder of the top 12 and everyone else for a great year of drum corps!

Star got 2nd in 1993 so it should be 1,1,2,4...but who's counting :tongue: