Remembering a champion from years past

I just have to add (and I've said it before) - the BD '82 color guard was phenomenal. They were so ahead of their time in musicality and body / equipment integration. I go back and watch the '82 DVD - and the difference between what they were doing and what other guards were doing is extreme!

Loved the Pegasus wings and the guard costume - which (back then) caused quite a stir when they came out with it in '81!

I've heard that back then, the guard members had trouble adjusting to them, just because they were so very different from all that had come before (both in general and specifically, in terms of what BD's guard had worn before). I think it took a while for them to adjust to the idea of form-fitting uniforms, as opposed to the uniforms they'd worn before which de-emphasized the individual body and created a uniform look. For better or worse, this started the trend toward a focus on having a particular body type to march guard.

Despite that, I did love the look, even though a lot of people shook their heads at it at the time. The uniform lent itself to that integration of body with equipment work. I loved how they used the one white sleeve to accent certain arm movements.

I remember reading Whitney Densmore's posts over on RAMD. She marched guard first in Santa Clara and then Blue Devils, and she talked about the differences (there were benefits to both). But just what she described showed how BD was so far ahead of its time, in terms of body movement and completely integrating all those elements into a brand-new discipline. It was still color guard, of course, but so much more. Not just equipment work here, then choreography there, but a unique blend (which, by the way, is something that Seattle Imperials actually started doing several years before them, but BD took it to a whole new level). I'll see if I can find Whitney's post.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found it! Some really good stuff here contrasting the two guard programs: Whitney's RAMD post

Thanks Sue for the link. I had forgotten about that.

I'm sure when my sister (Laura) lost her arms, there was an expletive to Jay. One thing Laura wasn't (or isn't), and that's shy about her emotions. There's another story from the 82 season. The entire corps had one of those tough rehearsals in Montreal until about 2AM. It was also cut when Laura told either Mike Moxley or Jay Murhpy "F&&^^ You" when they said one more time. She threw her gear down and stood there....17 years old. "F&%K You".

Rehearsal over.

Not only does that personify Laura, that personifies the Blue Devil at that time. The members had no qualms expressing their feelings, good or bad. We all wanted to win, but called BS when it needed to be called.

Laura is one strong willed person who speaks her mind. And to this day.....

Laura quit the next two seasons (83,84) as she had marched BD in one form or nother since 77. She was done. She decided to show up in 85 telling Stacy Lynde "I'm marching". Laura was in. Stacy taught Laura in the B corps and i 81/82 in the A corps So...she knew Laura. Laura was one of the original 8 wings in the 82 production when she was 16 years old.

Anyway. I never knew why Laura marched until retreat at finals in 85. She came up to me while at retreat and told me she marched 85 to share my aging out with me. I was floored. I cannot say enough how much that meant to me that Laura marched my age-out year in the Blue Devils just to watch me age-out.

Laura and I shared our first Blue Devils A corps performance together in 1981 and we ended our BD A career together on the field at DCI in 1985. We won DCI together in an undefeated season in one of the top drum corps of all time.

Thanks Laura!

Edited by TrainWreck

Anyway. I never knew why Laura marched until retreat at finals in 85. She came up to me while at retreat and told me she marched 85 to share my aging out with me. I was floored. I cannot say enough how much that meant to me that Laura marched my age-out year in the Blue Devils just to watch me age-out.

I thought of you, Rob, as I read Whitney's post. I remember you telling this story before, but it's still just as moving today! Laura sounds like one great lady; you must always know where you stand with her. Well, except for '82, when she waited until finals to tell you why she returned. :thumbup:

Edited by byline

Found it! Some really good stuff here contrasting the two guard programs: Whitney's RAMD post

Thanks for finding that Sue - that was a great read. I wonder why she made the switch from Vanguard to BD though.

And I love that story about Laura just dropping her equipment and saying "#### You" - I wanted to do that so many times when I marched - but never had the guts :thumbup:

later,

Mike

Montreal is not usually cold in August - but that year it was.

I've been to Dallas in August where the temperatue was 104. When I came back to Montreal, the humidity made it worse when the temperature was the equivalent of 85.

we saw snow flurries when warming up outside Olympic Stadium that saturday morning prior to rehearsal

we saw snow flurries when warming up outside Olympic Stadium that saturday morning prior to rehearsal

That was a total anomalie - its about 31 degrees celcious today in Montreal :thumbup:

Later,

Mike

Thanks for finding that Sue - that was a great read. I wonder why she made the switch from Vanguard to BD though.

I know she explained that to me at one point, and I suppose if I searched long enough, I could find the post, but it took me a while just to track that one down. She skipped a year (1980) then went to BD, but I can't remember why. I once told her that she marched in two of my favorite corps/guards, and she replied, simply, that she was "geographically fortunate." Especially for those of us who were not so fortunate, that's an understatement, to say the least!

And I love that story about Laura just dropping her equipment and saying "#### You" - I wanted to do that so many times when I marched - but never had the guts :cool:

Same here. I've always admired people who had the guts to say what needed to be said, but I never had the courage to say it!

Edited by byline

Wow, a thread about 1982 BD. My favorite subject!

To this day I feel honored and privileged to have marched with this phenomenal group

of people. Many of them are close friends to this day. How often does one get the chance

to be the unquestioned best in the world? For most people, that never happens.

It was perfect storm of talent. I remember looking over the soprano line and thinking,

"my God, everyone here used to be a soloist for another corps". Even the lower

sops could wail. Jack Meehan's attitude was "get it right the first time". And we did ...

then we would sit around wondering what to work on next. Everything seemed so easy.

This was the first year of Tom Float who brought enormous talent with him from Spririt.

They were all the nicest people you could imagine. The chemistry between all sections

was great. That wasn't the case in 1981.

It was the first year of John Oppedisano. We introduced him to the Blue Devils "attitude".

He wasn't expecting that, but he eventually adapted. :cool:

We blew away the stadium in Bayonne. We blew away the stadium in Denver even though

we had the "Blue Flu". We broke 90 in Iowa. We coasted into a championship at Montreal.

The 1982 Blue Devils taught me that anything is possible. I'll never be able to pay back

that organization for teaching me that.