What's happened to The Cavaliers?

My sentiments exactly.

I actually feel the same way about Jeff Sacktic's Cadets drill, so there ya go. And for the record, I enjoyed both Cadets and Cavaliers this year, and have no problems with them "doing what they do" with their own characteristic style.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.) I didn't even read OP's post.

2.) BD mastered how to write a show that meets the judges expectations for a mix of music and visual.

3.) Fiedler headed out to SCV...interesting their first offering of the Fiedler era out West, eh?

Cavies are just fine. Don't worry about the number 4. Half a point from their typical second?? (as in typical 1 OR 2 this decade)

Oh, and I do have to admit to checking out the GE vis numbers last night and it didn't appear that Marie Czapinski was a factor in any of the placements. Amazing. Someone must have reamed her good after Houston. I think she may have even scored a couple key corps lower than the other GE vis judge.

Maybe there is hope after all!

From the Cavaliers homepage:

=======================================

The Cavaliers completed their 2009 competitive season on August 8, at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, with a score of 96.150. The Cavaliers were in a particularly close race with the Holy Name Cadets and the Santa Clara Vanguard during this finals series, jockeying for position among other talented top World Class corps. After a busy finals week, the corps performed their program, The Great DIVIDE, in an exciting championship event, in front of another spectacular crowd of drum corps fans.

As we conclude the 2009 program, we congratulate the Blue Devils on their first place finish, as well as all of the other corps on their perfomances this year. In anticipation of 2010, we look ahead to another exciting season.

We would like to extend our thanks to all of the members, staff, family, alumni and fans for your hard work, dedication, and unending support of The Cavaliers.

=======================================

I am very impressed that the Cavaliers organization took effort (even though it doesn't cost a thing) to congratulate the champion of 2009.

Part of the reason that it seems that "you've seen that all before" from the Cavaliers is that because of their dominance and excellence this decade especially the early part, everyone has copied so many elements of what they do you've not only seen them do it before, you've seen many of what once were signature moves in almost every corps before them that very night and didn't realize it. Please remember there are former Cavaliers working on staff for many competitive corps right now. This is not sour grapes it is the highest form of flattery. It happens all the time, always has always will. Anyone that thinks the Cavaliers are about to roll over must have walked through the door the Cadets rolled out in 2005 and not got back through. Congrats by the way to the Cadets on their 75th and for getting back through the door themselves this year.

I you look at the last few decades, corps go in and out of dominance- though necessarily a championship, but a period where they are the it. As some have said here, 2000-2006 was the age of the Green Machine. I feel like they handed off to Phantom Regiment around then. Most recently, Crown.

Other teams have caught up with their design formula. Now that said, they still sell a theme (Samurai, Divide) with elite quality, and execute at the highest level.

Wow, it's not the end of the world. Cavies dominated for much of this decade. Give em a break will ya? Oh, and I thought they should have placed 6th, below SCV and Bluecoats, but that's just my opinion. They'll bounce back, they're big boys.

The thing that was really different this year is that the former "top 3" expanded to a "top 5". That's a sign of competitive health within the activity, not a sign that Cavaliers changed or failed to do what they've done quite successfully since the mid-80s. Worth keeping in mind that up until the final two days, their scores were grouped within .25 of Cadets and Crown, both of whom they'd traded victories with over the summer, which most people would recognize was a sign of rough equivalence.

Edited by mobrien

I think a lot of corps have caught up to them in terms of show design and marching. After hearing SCV, Crown and BD, I was sort of surprised at the lesser sound I heard from Cavs. It was pretty but it wasn't POWERFUL. If I were them, I'd start there. Pin my ears back.