2010 Show Concepts - 1930 worked

Maybe all corps should do a show called 1986 next year. Bring it back and let's see if they can run and play those charts at the same time. I dare every corps to do so.

PR - this means you have to field 16 frenchies with no mello's

BD - Call up Maynard and Buddy Rich and get the rights handled ... and find a stone cold killer for the solo's!!!!

SCV - Maybe sneak in some 87 ... because that show was dah bomb!

Cavies - just don't play Variations on a Korean Folk song .. the rest of the show is tight

Troopers - Silverado, Prayer of Thanksgiving, The Red Pony????? Heck yeah ... play that show again!

Blue Stars - will have to play Star Wars in place of Star of Indiana

Crown - Wizard of Oz in place of Sky Ryders .... makes a good fit with the past couple of years.

Cadets - On the waterfront ... I'll take it. Just find a new closer.

Madison - Alex's Rag, Harlem Suite, Starlight Express FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boston - Fifth Symphony, Coronation March, Smooth Operator, Bluesette, Conga .... I can dig that.

Blue Coats - Hungarian Dance No. 5, Doodletown Fifers, Salt Peanuts, Everything Happens to Me ..... +20 snares .. w00t!

Spirit - Dixie, That Cat is High, Sweet Georgia Brown, Amazing Grace, Precious Lord, Take My Hand, God Must Be Tryin' To Tell You Something .... ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!! This is FULL of WIN!

The list goes on and on. 1986 for 2010 ... cmon all the corps can do it. Give us the music YO!

Any suggestions on the 30th-15th place shows you would like to see done by World Class ... let's hear it!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see Blue Devils do a "San Francisco 1906" show ... That would really rock!

Maybe all corps should do a show called 1986 next year. Bring it back and let's see if they can run and play those charts at the same time. I dare every corps to do so.

PR - this means you have to field 16 frenchies with no mello's

BD - Call up Maynard and Buddy Rich and get the rights handled ... and find a stone cold killer for the solo's!!!!

SCV - Maybe sneak in some 87 ... because that show was dah bomb!

Cavies - just don't play Variations on a Korean Folk song .. the rest of the show is tight

Troopers - Silverado, Prayer of Thanksgiving, The Red Pony????? Heck yeah ... play that show again!

Blue Stars - will have to play Star Wars in place of Star of Indiana

Crown - Wizard of Oz in place of Sky Ryders .... makes a good fit with the past couple of years.

Cadets - On the waterfront ... I'll take it. Just find a new closer.

Madison - Alex's Rag, Harlem Suite, Starlight Express FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boston - Fifth Symphony, Coronation March, Smooth Operator, Bluesette, Conga .... I can dig that.

Blue Coats - Hungarian Dance No. 5, Doodletown Fifers, Salt Peanuts, Everything Happens to Me ..... +20 snares .. w00t!

Spirit - Dixie, That Cat is High, Sweet Georgia Brown, Amazing Grace, Precious Lord, Take My Hand, God Must Be Tryin' To Tell You Something .... ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!! This is FULL of WIN!

The list goes on and on. 1986 for 2010 ... cmon all the corps can do it. Give us the music YO!

Any suggestions on the 30th-15th place shows you would like to see done by World Class ... let's hear it!

The "rights" thing has really hurt the activity. I recall at Foxboro in '94 when DCI tried to ban even still picture cameras. How many CDs, LPs, and cassettes were bought over the years by people exposed to these styles for the first time through Drum Corps? DCI and the corps themselves could probably make more money by offering free links to Youtube and increasing the exposure of the activity (which is comparatively miniscule in the entertainment world). Probably 9 out of 10 Americans have no idea what DCI is all about or what a drum & bugle corps is.

I feel the same about overzelous attorneys working for music publishing houses and record companies. What a shame that we can't hear great drum corps classics performed any more.

With some modern, fast Cadet-like drill for the closer....PLEASE!! The drill for the 86 closer was a snoozefest.

My all time fave Spirit show....ooooohhhh yess!

I would pay double just to hear a modern day line play Harlem Suite!!!!! That was a monster bada## chart. I'm sure some of the transitions could be written better .. but man that was killer.

The "rights" thing has really hurt the activity. I recall at Foxboro in '94 when DCI tried to ban even still picture cameras. How many CDs, LPs, and cassettes were bought over the years by people exposed to these styles for the first time through Drum Corps? DCI and the corps themselves could probably make more money by offering free links to Youtube and increasing the exposure of the activity (which is comparatively miniscule in the entertainment world). Probably 9 out of 10 Americans have no idea what DCI is all about or what a drum & bugle corps is.

Newsflash: there are still TONS of drum corps clips/shows on Youtube. Blue Devils offered a ton of free video this year to help promote themselves (slightly off topic, but I really think business wise Blue Devils are WAY ahead of the curve when it comes to marketing and promotion). Heck we had Time Magazine do a 'best of' type feature online with links to Youtube shows.

And yet, most Americans don't know what drum corps is.

Marketing is a tough business. DCI relies on it's alumni to basically let newbies know what the activity is. I honestly don't know what would work better to get new people into the stands on a consistent basis. They could put their full catalog on Youtube, but if people don't know what to search for (or care), then it wouldn't matter.

I feel the same about overzelous attorneys working for music publishing houses and record companies. What a shame that we can't hear great drum corps classics performed any more.

The key here is to find a way to arrange the music without going through the hassle of getting arranging rights. Back in the day, the instruments corps used didn't count as "musical instruments," so arrangers could just take a piece, arrange it, and have their corps play it. There's a pretty amusing story online about Ron Nelson somehow finding out the Cadets were playing Rocky Point Holiday and his reactions seeing them perform it for the first time.

Edited by Hrothgar15

The key here is to find a way to arrange the music without going through the hassle of getting arranging rights. Back in the day, the instruments corps used didn't count as "musical instruments," so arrangers could just take a piece, arrange it, and have their corps play it. There's a pretty amusing story online about Ron Nelson somehow finding out the Cadets were playing Rocky Point Holiday and his reactions seeing them perform it for the first time.

First, Thanks for showing up in my thread. Second, Most of your post is very inaccurate. It had nothing to do with instrumentation and everything to do with changes in copyright law as it pertains to the music industry. Marching bands and drum corps alike, weren't required to get these rights back in the day because the music industry didn't see a financial gain in requiring it. These days, yes they do and the copyright holders are making a small fortune off of the marching arts.

As to the Ron Nelson observation ... I hope it was favorable because Garfield smoked it.

While most of this is off topic, I appreciate the participation. Back ON topic, wouldn't it be a decent idea for DCI to ask the corps to do a throwback show, maintaining the majority of music from a particular year and not use the modern day formula of arranging? Then marry the music to modern day drill as much as possible? I would like to see it done. I dare, I SAY DARE, the designers to pull it off. Bring it designer peoplage!~

There's a pretty amusing story online about Ron Nelson somehow finding out the Cadets were playing Rocky Point Holiday and his reactions seeing them perform it for the first time.

Was his reaction positive or negative? I can honestly say that without the Cadets I would probably never have heard of it and wouldn't own about 5 different performances of the original.

Imagine if he heard present-day BD cover it. Probably be mixed with some Blue Rondo a la Turk, space chords and The Umbrellas of Chesbourg!

Um...you are quite wrong. Again.

It has always been illegal to simply arrange without getting permission...even with bad bugles. How you think that even the worst bugle would not count as a musical instrument is beyond me.

Back then, it was simply more difficult for a composer to find out his music was being played....after all, corps was/is a niche activity, and unless the composer happened to catch them on PBS (which is how Ron Nelson found out), there was little chance of the composer finding out. There was no internet, no YouTube, no email....therefore, it was nigh on impossible for someone to find out they were getting ripped off.

But, as usual, your advocating of illegal activity simply because you're a hippie is fun to read.