Will/has Crown's success impact Cadet's recruiting?

Crown has been on a steady ascent since 2003, brass program wise. Like others have said on this thread, they are locked in to that top echelon of recruits and will continue to. Props to new blood.

As a skeptic, I got a steady dose of their hornline live: Ft. Walton, Murfreesboro, Atlanta, Champs. They were the real deal. No smoke and mirrors there.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So for you guys that think Crown's success has no effect on Cadets, let me ask you this....

Do you think that Crown will have any members next year that could have made it into.... let's say Cavies, BD, or Cadets? (obvious answer is yes)

Do you think every single one of those members would have just not marched if it weren't for Crown? (obvious answer is no)

So don't you think some of them would have auditioned for and made Cavies, BD, or Cadets? (obvious answer is yes)

And if those kids who would have made BD, Cavies, or Cadets instead went to Crown.... doesn't that make Cavies, BD, and Cadets take less talented kids to replace them?

It's all just logic.

Of course Crown's success has an effect on the Cadets...... and all of the other top corps. The talent they are getting has to come from somewhere. If the kids who are now marching Crown would have marched somewhere else, then it is likely those other corps would have been stronger because of the extra talent.

For those arguing otherwise, you are assuming that all of the hundreds of kids who audition for the Cadets every year are all of equal talent and skill level..... I know they are not.

There are only so many really talented kids who want to give up an entire summer and pay all that money to march corps..... and the more top corps there are, the thinner the talent is spread out.

Be careful. Don't get hurt, because I've heard horror stories of being hurt in Crown. A bunch of my friend (in both Cadets and Crown) have gotten hurt this season and the drastic difference in treatment is astonishing. Crown's policy towards hurt people is appalling.

Also, think of the corps' history. What do you want to be a part of? A growing corps or a corps with a VERY strong alumni following. Each has its merits.

Hmmmm, good question. Sadly, injuries DO happen all the time in drum corps, regardless of where you're at. But as far as personal preference, I think being part of a growing corps would interest me, which is a reason I want to march Crown.

And to a previous poster, when I said a bit more relaxed, I didn't mean easy one bit. I fully understand how tough drum corps is, I've marched a year already. I was just saying....that rehearsal technique the Cadets use is a bit too much for me probably.

No.

This is like asking people that because of the North Carolina Tar Heel Basketball success, will the Duke Blue Devils be negatively impacted ?

The answer is " no ".

That's because these programs don't " recruit "........they " select ".

The top 7 or 8 Corps will have no difficulty finding the right bodies out of the hundreds that will audition from all over the world, not just regionally.

Two things

Some of you guys (note, brasso), need to actually get out to a camp and see for yourself the things you claim to know about. Yeah....there probably are 100 people trying out for 3 snareline spots, but with that exception, you bet your ### these corps recruit. There have been years when we struggled mightily to fill that hornline, and some years where people vastly underqualified made it. I'm not going to go on at the risk of sounding like bashing my own corps, but trust me on this one...its not all as elite and rosy as it seems. As far as recruiting....there is a HUGE push to get bodies to auditions, including dozens of announcements at every frickin ussba show I've ever been to, tables set up, and they even run auditions if a cadets staffer is there. Heck...they bring the truck to band championships and sit a horn, drum, and a uni outside to try and get kids interested. To think that even these two top corps sit back and wait for talent to come to them is ludicrous.

Secondly - from EVERYTHING ive ever heard at crown - they get their ##### beat just as much as the cadets. Both in terms of a physical training standpoint, and in the way their rehearsals are one. I've been out of corps for a few years, but I doubt they just woke up and tried to change their approach one day. Also, even as a HUGE cadet fan, I can admit that crowns show was almost, or perhaps even just as hard as the cadets show, so anyone who is scared of that challenge had better head elsewhere

The recent rise of crown won't hurt Cadets or Boston much at all (the two corps named previously). However I do believe it will lead to a rise in the number of potential members who come to Ft Mills and audition. If any corps were to be "hurt" I would imagine it to be some of the southern DCA corps whose high school and college members try to join a top 5 DCI corps, Spirit who is struggling to maintain its finals competitiveness, or Southwind as they attempt their comeback.

Ultimately though as stated before by Ed, The auditioners are fighting for a limited amount of spots within Crown or Cadets or Boston. Those 97 who aren't picked out of the 100 will end up at Spirit, DCA, Teal Sound, or whatever option B may be if they seriously want to march in a drum corps. It may actually lead to a rise in the quality of surrounding corps IF the Crown staff says, "You're just not quite Crown material, but let me tell you about this bunch of great people in X drum corps which may fit your style more..."

So for you guys that think Crown's success has no effect on Cadets, let me ask you this....

Do you think that Crown will have any members next year that could have made it into.... let's say Cavies, BD, or Cadets? (obvious answer is yes)

Do you think every single one of those members would have just not marched if it weren't for Crown? (obvious answer is no)

So don't you think some of them would have auditioned for and made Cavies, BD, or Cadets? (obvious answer is yes)

Depends which section you're talking about. I know that Crown had been building their snareline for awhile, their hornline has a really good teacher/arranger and the same with the guard. It'll take special talent to make those spots.

The bassline and tenorline have openings, I believe, and the pit has the easiest stuff out there, so if you're a percussionist looking to turn somewhere, Crown will accept.

I'd like to add a quick reply without being able to read the whole thread, so sorry if it's been mentioned already.

I can only speak for the percussion section, but a lot of really quality Crown members in the past few years have been from the northeast. Crown is starting to get a pretty decent draw at UMass, where the vibe has always been Cadets Cadets Cadets (and formerly Crossmen). So yes, at least as far as percussion goes, there are very good players that have marched Crown the past few seasons that probably would have been at Cadets otherwise just based on their proximity. This year, the centre snare and the centre marimba both came from UMass.