Do you think it is harder to program a DCI show now?

What ? No color pre ?

Of course I remember:

Off the line ( later known as opener when goal line was no longer used to start )

Color presentation

into concert

concert

drum solo ( out of concert)

production number

exit ( or later, closer)

Well, it's certainly harder to "transport" shows with all the crap corps put on the field! Now, does all that "stuff" lend itself to a more difficult or pleaseing show? Not necessarily, and in some cases (I believe) create enough of a distraction to overlook a corps shortcomings in a particular area. Yeah, I went there.

It's probably real hard to decide which "snippets" of music one is going to play as opposed to actual melodic phrases.

Edited by Rocketman

I think the difficulty level of designing a show would be the same. It's the classic historian principle; you can't view a period of the past accurately with a present-day mindset. Designers in early DCI did exactly what designers do today; create the best show possible using the vehicle/rules/limitations they are given. As with any art-form in any time period, some are better, different, or more talented than others.

With new computer programs available, I think that makes it easier.

It's still up to staff to translate it to the performer and the performers to put it on the field

I could stand to watch a Phantom of the Opera show.

Heck Mamma Mia would be interesting

Edited by jhallman

Recidivism was much higher back in the day; 27 would play Danny Boy, Troopers would play Battle Hymn, Cavies would play Bully, BAC would play Conquest, geez even BD played Chuck Corea THREE YEARS IN A ROW, so there wasn't maybe so much of a hue and cry for variety, because drum corps came out of military tradition, not freedom of artistic expression. Now every show is conceptualized, particularly visually, and members are asked to do more. I think creatively there's a lot more license nowadays, but the same problems linger that always have-staging, sound for effect, peaks and valleys, etc.

the end product/goal of each program is much different. the demands of G.E. and the need of a 'moment' every 2 seconds is different.

Seeing how music / drill / ge / gaurd / PIT all has to be intricate all involved is much more challenging the older ways of designing a show (imo).

Not to take away from designers of past, but we have created a rubix cube of show design that just did not exist to the extent that it did in the past.

But, many shows (if not most quality finalist shows) from the past would still make finals this year, for sure.

You mention how "flow" is much more important today, yet the structure from the 1970s that you described is pretty much the definition of "flow," whereas the show designs of today that are completely unstructured don't seem to flow very well at all.

They seem to flow very well today. What I described from the 1970s isn't the definition of "flow," it's the definition of "structure" or "routine."