DCP-I Rules Congress

Now is the time to begin submitting your rule change proposals. To do so, just post in this thread in the following format:

Rule Change:

Rationale:

Submitted by:

Please note, the Executive Director (me) and DCP owner (JohnD) have final say in any and all rule changes. We are not looking to change how things are run as far as scoring, formulas, and things like that. This is more about smaller details.

The Finals Location preliminary voting will be taking place very soon, I will get the polls up for that in the main DCP-I Forums, the final voting will take place in the Rules Congress sub-forum here.

The actual Rules Congress will take place the week of Aug 24-29. All of the rules proposals will be voted on and the Finals location will be voted on as well. All of this will happen in the Rules Congress sub forum.

Voting is open to all directors who participated in DCP-I XII.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll throw one in I guess

Rule Change: Reinstatement of Prelims Competition for World Class

Rationale: With 70+ corps competing this season, I would like to see another round to give some of the lower tiered corps one more chance to advance. I think if the total World Class roster goes beyond 50 corps, the breakdown should be like this:

Prelims - All Corps

Quarterfinals - Top 40

Semifinals - Top 20

Finals - Top 12

Submitted by: Roselle Park Conquistadors

*Note-I cannot recall why the prelims was eliminated in the first place. If this proposal is completely out of line for whatever reason, feel free to omit it from vote.

I'll throw one in I guess

Rule Change: Reinstatement of Prelims Competition for World Class

Rationale: With 70+ corps competing this season, I would like to see another round to give some of the lower tiered corps one more chance to advance. I think if the total World Class roster goes beyond 50 corps, the breakdown should be like this:

Prelims - All Corps

Quarterfinals - Top 40

Semifinals - Top 20

Finals - Top 12

Submitted by: Roselle Park Conquistadors

*Note-I cannot recall why the prelims was eliminated in the first place. If this proposal is completely out of line for whatever reason, feel free to omit it from vote.

I think this is a good rule, but I propose an amended version.

Similar to the old days of DCI, Prelims/Quarters were not for the "top" corps. So, using the same ranking system that is used to determine the MASTERS show lineups...

Prelims - All corps ranked below the Top 20; Top 20 overall are exempt and automatically move to Quarters

Quarters - 40 corps total: The overall Top 20 ranked and the highest 20 finishers from Prelims

Semifinals - Top 17 from Quarters (or Top 20, whatever)

Finals - Top 12 from Semis

Edited by hostrauser

Rule Change: 0.1 penalty for remainder of season for each missed mandatory show

Rationale: Every season, players are instructed that certain weekends, ALL corps must attend specific shows. Every season, none of these shows have 100% attendance. I think a penalty is in order, not a crippling one, but enough to catch a player's attention. Thus, if your World Class corps missed a World Class mandatory show, you'd have a 0.1 penalty for that corps for the rest of the season. This would apply to every class, and would be cumulative (e.g., miss three mandatory weekends, enjoy a 0.3 penalty). It would also be cumulative with separate penalties (late start). This penalty is easily avoidable simply by following the rules and setting up your schedule correctly.

Submitted by: Hostrauser (Glory of Music)

Rule Change: 0.1 penalty for remainder of season for each missed mandatory show

Rationale: Every season, players are instructed that certain weekends, ALL corps must attend specific shows. Every season, none of these shows have 100% attendance. I think a penalty is in order, not a crippling one, but enough to catch a player's attention. Thus, if your World Class corps missed a World Class mandatory show, you'd have a 0.1 penalty for that corps for the rest of the season. This would apply to every class, and would be cumulative (e.g., miss three mandatory weekends, enjoy a 0.3 penalty). It would also be cumulative with separate penalties (late start). This penalty is easily avoidable simply by following the rules and setting up your schedule correctly.

Submitted by: Hostrauser (Glory of Music)

I like this idea. To make sure this can be enforced, we need to make sure to have mandatory shows listed in a very obvious way. Possibly a sticky post on the forum and a news item on the front page. Just something to make sure that no one can miss which shows they need to attend.

Rule Change: Variation of Scores Based On Shows

Rationale: In DCI, everyone says that you can't compare scores unless the corps are at the same show. This is due to the variation in judges between shows and circumstances at show sites. I think it would be interesting if we had a slight variation (maybe +/- 1%) at different shows. This makes the major shows where everyone is together even more important. You would never know exactly where you stand until you meet up with the other corps.

I understand this is a change to scoring and formulas and might not be something simple to implement, but I figured I would at least see what the possibility of this was. I don't know how the formula's work right now, and if this would be too hard, it can be vetoes right away. It won't hurt my feelings. This is also open for changes/suggestions from anyone.

Submitted by: Austin Wagner, Shadow Music Organization

I think we have a way of making the mandatory shows mandatory... when we make the schedule editor for next year, we simply will not put a "No Show" option for those days. Same goes for Finals...

Rule Change: Variation of Scores Based On Shows

Rationale: In DCI, everyone says that you can't compare scores unless the corps are at the same show. This is due to the variation in judges between shows and circumstances at show sites. I think it would be interesting if we had a slight variation (maybe +/- 1%) at different shows. This makes the major shows where everyone is together even more important. You would never know exactly where you stand until you meet up with the other corps.

I understand this is a change to scoring and formulas and might not be something simple to implement, but I figured I would at least see what the possibility of this was. I don't know how the formula's work right now, and if this would be too hard, it can be vetoes right away. It won't hurt my feelings. This is also open for changes/suggestions from anyone.

Submitted by: Austin Wagner, Shadow Music Organization

I have actually thought about this, but am not sure how easy/hard it would be to implement... just dont mention "west coast inflation" to JohnD :rock:

Rule Change: "DCPI Sweepstakes" Award

Rationale: Institute an award that would be contested at all 3 divisions. This rule change would institute a sweepstakes of shows that would award corps for victories and/or high finishes at select events that take place over the course of the season. Corps may choose to compete in some, all or none of the sweepstakes shows if they so choose.

The events would be:

1 major regional show (held before the Regional championships)

Regional Prelims

Regional Finals

All post-regional Focus Shows

Each round of DCPI championships

Points will be awarded to the top 6 finishers in each division at each show on the following basis

1st place: 10 points

2nd place: 6 points

3rd place: 4 points

4th place: 3 points

5th place: 2 points

6th place: 1 point

At the end of the season, the corps in each division wins a special sweepstakes award. This is intended to be separate from the DCPI championship award and is not intended to supercede that award.

Submitted by:Kadence

Rule Change:"Mock" finals before the season begins.

Rationale: Having a "mock" finals would allow for corps to gain early season bragging rights over their fellow competitors. This would be a non-mandatory event, but would work the same was as the real finals (ie same number of rounds, 2 caption changes per round you advance pending feasibility approval by Jeff and John). This would take place before the season begins and all scores would be generated numbers.

Submitted by: Kadence