Do you regret not marching your age-out?

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wish you could still age out?

• I aged-out with my corps
    • I did not age out, but life was calling
    • I did not age out, but I wish I could go back and time and change that

So I know that this thread has been done before, but after such an awesome year I believe it needs to be done again.

I know that myself as well as many of you have put your life on hold when doing drum corps, and were lucky enough to age-out with the corps that you loved. However for those of you who chose/were not able to march your age-out do you regret it?

The reason I ask this is because I have a very good friend who ages out next year, and they want basically get on with their life even though they love the activity, and there seems to be nothing I can say to let them realize they are making a mistake.

So what do you think?

The reason I ask this is because I have a very good friend who ages out next year, and they want basically get on with their life even though they love the activity, and there seems to be nothing I can say to let them realize they are making a mistake.

So what do you think?

There is nothing to be said, let em go. If they truly "love" the activity they'll be back. I aged out with my favorite corps and left the activity with absolutely no regrets. The same can't be said for my other drum corps friends. Most of them regret their decision to this day (29 years and counting).

I didn't march my final 2 years. Still haunts me to this day.

I have a friend that marched Crown 07 and 08. He would have aged out this year, but he didn't march. He missed out on the Jim Ott.

It is all personal sentiment; in other words, how much worth do you put in marching? For me, I was a whiny baby for a whole year because I didn't march my age-out. The only reason I can get on with my life without thinking about that everyday is that I came out of guard retirement and marched my WGI age-out. That is how special I think marching with my corps is/was to me.

Some people get burned out before their age-out and don't come back. Sometimes the "real world" is simply more important to an individual in the big scheme of their lives. My suggestion is march anyway. School is always an issue; there is no shame in spending an extra semester/year in school. Plus, loans will be there and you have a lifetime to pay them back in the worst case scenario. If your significant other tells you "you can't," then ditch them! My point is that there are NO age limits on jobs, schooling, or dreams. You DO have until age 21/22 to do this at the highest level available. I suggest you take advantage of your youth and push your body to do this until your bank account runs dry, your doctor tells you to stop, or DCI says no more.

Some people get burned out before their age-out and don't come back. Sometimes the "real world" is simply more important to an individual in the big scheme of their lives. My suggestion is march anyway. School is always an issue; there is no shame in spending an extra semester/year in school. Plus, loans will be there and you have a lifetime to pay them back in the worst case scenario. If your significant other tells you "you can't," then ditch them! My point is that there are NO age limits on jobs, schooling, or dreams. You DO have until age 21/22 to do this at the highest level available. I suggest you take advantage of your youth and push your body to do this until your bank account runs dry, your doctor tells you to stop, or DCI says no more.

This has always been my point exactly.

When I aged-out I had about $500 in my bank account, and I honestly don't regret one second of it. Sure I am behind in school now, and many of my friends have graduated while I still have 1-2 years to go thanks to drum corps, but I have had a life experience that very few people have had in this world. That in of itself is more important than anything.

At the time, the corps I would have most wanted to age-out with was folded.

In the years following, I've regretted not going somewhere else, every now and then.

In the last several years, I've come to realize that the whole reason I didn't go somewhere else for my last few years of eligibility was that I really didn't want to.

I think I'm enjoying Drum Corps now a lot more than I would have those last few years of eligibility. So I count that as a good choice on my part.

part of me REALLY regrets not marching this year, but the rest of me doesn't. i still had a pretty dang good summer. TOTALLY miss drum corps, but that's ok. besides, it wasn't possible (financially) for me to march

plus, Fever has been inactive for two years now. i wish i could've age out there. oh well.

life goes on, ya know??

I've not once regretted missing my age-out year. The two summers I spent marching were wonderful, but after they were over I had had my fill and was ready to move on, and for the past 7 years I've been perfectly content being "just" a fan.

It's up to the individual marcher to decide what's best. You've told your friend what you think, which is fine, but now that you've done that I would back off and let your friend make his/her own decision.

So I know that this thread has been done before, but after such an awesome year I believe it needs to be done again.

I know that myself as well as many of you have put your life on hold when doing drum corps, and were lucky enough to age-out with the corps that you loved. However for those of you who chose/were not able to march your age-out do you regret it?

So what do you think?

I'm one who marched a week into my ageout year and then dropped out because of a horrible year that I had in school. I was just totally drained that year both physically and psychologically. But, it worked out ok because I marched with a decent all age corps and that can be a lot of fun too. And these days, there are some great all age corps. When I march with all age corps, I never looked back.