Open Class Audience Estimates?

Lets not forget that this is a performance based activity. More performances is a good thing, especially since there are less opportunities for OC corps in DCI then for WC corps.

Exactly. Use that evening time slot for the OC prelims, instead of a needless elimination of a couple of WC corps. That would eliminate the problem of OC performances being held too early in the day to draw a crowd.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. Use that evening time slot for the OC prelims, instead of a needless elimination of a couple of WC corps. That would eliminate the problem of OC performances being held too early in the day to draw a crowd.

That still removes a performance for the corps...that I am not in favor of.

I know they were paying an extra day's rent...Wednesday.

They had the Monday-Tuesday offsite at an area high school.

Then Wednesday night had the II/III finals and age-out ceremony and performances by I&E champs I think. At least their awards were there. Maybe it was 1995 that featured the I&E performers between corps. I forget.

Off the top of my head, 1999 was one year where I&E champs performed during II/III finals.

And in 2002, all three rounds of II/III competition were held in Camp Randall Stadium, Mon-Tues-Wed.

DCI has other events scheduled that conflict with the OC finals? That doesn't sound to me like DCI is "doing all they can" to promote or support the OC like this.

DCI never promised or was obligated to "do all they can" for OC. Only so many hours in the week.

DCI, works for a last time perhaps, for ITS MEMBER CORPS.

Just like DCA works...wait for it....ITS MEMBER CORPS.

I love this idea! Giving OC a night of their own (semis on Thursday night) when a ton of people are already in town would get more of the WC crowd out to the stadium, I think. If they like what they see, they might even head out to OC finals on Saturday.

:lol:

get your checkbook out and pay for the stadium for an extra evening.

At the risk of getting myself flamed upon until I am crispy....

Perhaps the solution to the "extra day rental" would be eliminating the entire "Quarter Final" format. In reality there aren't anywhere close to enough corps to make it worth the expense to eliminate a handful on each of two consecutive days. A return to the older format of Prelims and Finals would allow for more flexibility in scheduling and a huge monetary savings.

I would agree. Two nights rent of LOS is cheaper than three nights.

I would be in favor of a WC prelims on Friday and a WC finals on Saturday.

That would leave OC with only a Saturday morning show though because Friday would be a pretty full day. Also, there would be no real reason to be in Indy for Wednesday's I&E so DCI could also toss that idea.

I'm liking this more and more. Big cash savings for DCI.

Lets not forget that this is a performance based activity. More performances is a good thing, especially since there are less opportunities for OC corps in DCI then for WC corps. The middle of the summer is rather thin right now for the OC. The format for finals week is fine. Getting more people in the stands without eliminating performances should be the focus.

This is the single task which has proved to be the most impossible to accomplish now.

They are GIVING TICKETS AWAY and still they can't get people in the stands.

You guys missed the point I believe...

OC does not get an evening spot because they can't draw better than the current evening block offered.

And, if they get rid of WC QFs, they will just save the money on Thrusday night's rent.

Off the top of my head, 1999 was one year where I&E champs performed during II/III finals.

And in 2002, all three rounds of II/III competition were held in Camp Randall Stadium, Mon-Tues-Wed.

and in 2006, the early rounds were off site and the finals were on Saturday morning?

OC does not get an evening spot because they can't draw better than the current evening block offered.

And they never will with only early morning shows. Perhaps with an evening finals they would.