Open Class Audience Estimates?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prelims the majority of the stadium was full up. I am not good with numbers so I would not know the numbers.

Semi's I would say there were about the same as prelims, maybe slightly more, but they were more spread out around the seats.

Then Finals was by far the most.

How many people actually came out to see the OC corps for their last 3 shows?

Did the Michigan City crowd outnumber the Indy crowd?

What are your estimates?

Michigan City - Prelims/QFs

Indy - Semis

Indy - Finals

I would estimate 2K for semis and 3K for finals - if that much. That is the total attendance - I am sure there were plenty of people who got in free with badges and writstbands.

Here's the sad part: The 25,000 people who didn't come missed an excellent show, and an excellent value. Seating is general admission, so I got a spot right on the 50 yard line. And tickets were only $25, as opposed to the $125 you could pay for the WC finals. And several outfits in the OC shows could - and perhaps someday will - march in WC.

On the whole, this situation is really sad. I am sure the performers enjoyed performing in LOS for the last 2 shows. Many of them have never performed in an NFL stadium before. But if there had been 10,000 attendees, it could have been a spectacular, electric experience.

This is sad. Really sad. This is another testament to the poor marketing and promotion skills of DCI.

Now I will get off my :doh:

I would estimate 2K for semis and 3K for finals - if that much. That is the total attendance - I am sure there were plenty of people who got in free with badges and writstbands.

Here's the sad part: The 25,000 people who didn't come missed an excellent show, and an excellent value. Seating is general admission, so I got a spot right on the 50 yard line. And tickets were only $25, as opposed to the $125 you could pay for the WC finals. And several outfits in the OC shows could - and perhaps someday will - march in WC.

On the whole, this situation is really sad. I am sure the performers enjoyed performing in LOS for the last 2 shows. Many of them have never performed in an NFL stadium before. But if there had been 10,000 attendees, it could have been a spectacular, electric experience.

This is sad. Really sad. This is another testament to the poor marketing and promotion skills of DCI.

Now I will get off my :doh:

poor marketing and promotion?

they shove a OC Semis and Finals ticket into everyone's had who buys WC QFs, Semis, Finals. People don't come because they don't want to. I believe OC might be better served to stay in Michigan City and finish the season there. Michigan City people LOVE OC. They love drum corps of any sort.

As far as the marketing goes, DCI has tried everything I believe. They had them on Wednesday night and put alot of extra stuff on the bill to get people to attend. The Friday/Saturday morning isn't working. What do you suggest?

poor marketing and promotion?

they shove a OC Semis and Finals ticket into everyone's had who buys WC QFs, Semis, Finals. People don't come because they don't want to. I believe OC might be better served to stay in Michigan City and finish the season there. Michigan City people LOVE OC. They love drum corps of any sort.

As far as the marketing goes, DCI has tried everything I believe. They had them on Wednesday night and put alot of extra stuff on the bill to get people to attend. The Friday/Saturday morning isn't working. What do you suggest?

Virtually everyone in the stadium on Friday and Saturday for OC were either parents, volunteers, or paid staff, who are associated with the corps. Why was there no effort to market this event to the public?

Why weren't there contingents from every marching band in Indiana at these events? It is summertime, and school is not in session. Every band director and music educator in the Hoosier state should have sent a contingent to LOS that weekend. If DCI really is "Marching Music's Major League", why weren't there members from the minor league in attendance, to see the "major league"?

Why was there zero promotion of this event on the local media outlets? Why were there news stories on local band contests that weekend, instead of the OC and WC finals?

So long as DCI restricts the marketing and promotion efforts to existing fans, the public interest will not grow. It will stagnate at best - dwindle at worst.

Edited by oldschooldbc

I'm sure DCi could try more, but the corps themselves could do a hell of a lot more.

as long as they seem to be content with being second class citizens, you will not see change. the change must come from within

It is sad. As soon as the DCI breakfast was over we rushed back to our room to drop off some stuff and then headed over to the stadium. Lots of fans walking the opposite way towards the mall. We got there just before intermission and sat on the 50. My estimates says a couple thousand at best. Maybe it is best to just keep it in Michigan City.

I'm sure DCi could try more, but the corps themselves could do a hell of a lot more.

as long as they seem to be content with being second class citizens, you will not see change. the change must come from within

The OC corps have no power or control in DCI. None of the OC directors sit on the BOD. They have no say whatsoever, in any substantial matters. They certainly have no control over the marketing and promotional decisions. And apparently, the status quo suits the the BOD just fine.

I guess the OC folks will have to do this themselves, since DCI won't help them. Essentially, they have to do DCI's job for them. Maybe BDB, SCVC, Citations, et al, need to start doing promotional events in Indianapolis, or create their own marketing and promotional work for OC finals.

People say "keep it in Michigan City" but the attendance at quarterfinals was not that great. At best, the stadium was about half full for the last four or five corps. You'd also split the potential audience between two cities many hours apart, and prevent crossover adolescences.

I'd like to know how many people watched Fridays semi-finals live on Fan Network?

Cause them are some dedicated fans!

It's really too bad that the semis was not later made Video on Demand since it started early AM for us on the west coast.