BD's victory

newsflash:

BD won. the scores can not be changed. like it or not, they did.

accept it. life is too short to ##### about numbers when you have stadium issues to ##### about

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

newsflash:

BD won. the scores can not be changed. like it or not, they did.

accept it. life is too short to ##### about numbers when you have stadium issues to ##### about

Oh, its going to be around for a long time- you'd better take a seat.

(sorry I just had to.) :doh:

LOL .. even as a BD fan .. that was #### funny!! :doh:

Achieving equal or greater effect (as it is defined on the sheets, not in the minds of the fans) with less demand on the individual performer is the hallmark of superior design.

High velocity drill is being rewarded less and less both in GE and in the visual perf. captions because there is a "been there, done that" factor beginning to emerge. Corps are being rewarded for innovating and creating demand and effect without resorting to 4-5 jazz runs at 210 all the time.

Until the judging community actually adds a "degreee of difficulty" factor, the corps that execute their program, easy or difficult, the best will get the highest scores.

They already have " demand " factored into the judging captions at several subsets as an evaluation criteria among other criteria used in the evaluation process.

Some of the frustration here lies in the fact that apparently some of the posters on DCP are are under the misunderstanding that " degree of difficulty " is not part of the judged criteria. When in fact, it is,.... and has been for several years now.

Edited by BRASSO

hhmm well maybe my thinking is backwards, but I for one would rather see a clean show. Although, I can in no way tell you what is clean and what is not in the way some folks look at feet and junk like that. I personally think what they go out on that field and do is pretty amazing ... "less clean" or not!!

not "backwards," just different.

we used to see groups get a lot of credit for trying things that were not quite possible to clean completely. no one really knew what to do with, for example, the cadets in the early 90s -- especially 92 and 93. in those years, that corps had the physical difficulty knob turned up to 11, and most other groups weren't even close. they received credit for "pushing the envelope."

since about 2001, the name of the game is "clarity." today, you could play "mary had a little lamb" while you marched back and forth in straight lines, and if you did it perfectly, you would be rewarded.

the system encourages now less-demanding shows. this is a bit disheartening for those of us who enjoyed the run-and-gun 90s.

no no, see, I agree with you. They definitly did execute their show better than any other drum corps did, for sure. What I'm arguing is that the show itself maybe should not have provided them with the means to go as far as they did, particularly in GE where design counts the most. Corps don't even make finals because their shows aren't hard enough. The show was just absurdly easy, perfectly executed, but too easy for such high numbers.

Dude, really? This is what you learned from 2 years as a Cadet?

Look, I was not sold on BD's program this year. I can see the artistry and detailed visual interest. The chairs got my attention, but did grow tediuous for me after a bit. The musical arrangements left me wanting more melodic completeness and emotional connection.

BUT...

All that said, my issues are with design and the general direction of the activity in that area. I just find I am not as visceraly connected to the performances.

MOST SIGNIFICANTLY I know that the members of the Blue Devils performed at a rarely seen level of perfection, and should be commended for it.

Having been brought up (Drum corps-wise) in the Cadets world, I am pre-disposed toward the "give me all the physical challenge you possibly think I can take and add some more on" mentality. I would prefer to march the HNC show to the BD show, but that is just my preference. I would also prefer to play Crown's book. The challenges for the members of BD were different, more nuanced, and with a much higher value placed on PERFECT execution than those of Crown or HNC And they met those challenges VERY WELL! To have all these folks sit here and complain about easy is disrespectful to those performers/champions. And just makes the complainer look bad. Speak eloquently about your differences of opinion on design approach all you want, but give credit where credit is due, to the performers!

Enjoy your successful season, the challenges presented and met, the life lessons learned and the life-long friendships made. You had a WONDERFUL drum corps! Don't give people the impression that you missed that ever-important Cadet lesson about defining your own measure of success, not letting some folks in green shirts do it for you.

Dude, really? This is what you learned from 2 years as a Cadet?

Look, I was not sold on BD's program this year. I can see the artistry and detailed visual interest. The chairs got my attention, but did grow tediuous for me after a bit. The musical arrangements left me wanting more melodic completeness and emotional connection.

BUT...

All that said, my issues are with design and the general direction of the activity in that area. I just find I am not as visceraly connected to the performances.

MOST SIGNIFICANTLY I know that the members of the Blue Devils performed at a rarely seen level of perfection, and should be commended for it.

Having been brought up (Drum corps-wise) in the Cadets world, I am pre-disposed toward the "give me all the physical challenge you possibly think I can take and add some more on" mentality. I would prefer to march the HNC show to the BD show, but that is just my preference. I would also prefer to play Crown's book. The challenges for the members of BD were different, more nuanced, and with a much higher value placed on PERFECT execution than those of Crown or HNC And they met those challenges VERY WELL! To have all these folks sit here and complain about easy is disrespectful to those performers/champions. And just makes the complainer look bad. Speak eloquently about your differences of opinion on design approach all you want, but give credit where credit is due, to the performers!

Enjoy your successful season, the challenges presented and met, the life lessons learned and the life-long friendships made. You had a WONDERFUL drum corps! Don't give people the impression that you missed that ever-important Cadet lesson about defining your own measure of success, not letting some folks in green shirts do it for you.

What is "getting tedious " in my view is the incessant whininess in some quarters over the Blue Devils undefeated 2009 season. As the Eagles song says ..." Get over it ! "

not "backwards," just different.

we used to see groups get a lot of credit for trying things that were not quite possible to clean completely. no one really knew what to do with, for example, the cadets in the early 90s -- especially 92 and 93. in those years, that corps had the physical difficulty knob turned up to 11, and most other groups weren't even close. they received credit for "pushing the envelope."

since about 2001, the name of the game is "clarity." today, you could play "mary had a little lamb" while you marched back and forth in straight lines, and if you did it perfectly, you would be rewarded.

the system encourages now less-demanding shows. this is a bit disheartening for those of us who enjoyed the run-and-gun 90s.

The system doesn't encourage less-demanding shows.

The system no longer rewards velocity for its own sake.

Put another way, in the 90s, velocity WAS the effect.

Now that velocity is the norm at all levels, only velocity in service of some other idea is rewarded on the sheets.