Top Ten Vanguard drumlines of all time

does this mean...for balance...we need to have another 20 of these threads?

I hope not.

Dont participate. Who held the gun to your head that not only forced you to click in it but also post, and probably come back, read my response, and respond to that .....?

Top SCV line to me :

G

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1984 - Gets my top spot mostly for having the most subtle drum solo ever, great stuff.

1991 - Wow, they really played the crap out of that show didn't they?

1981 - A great year for drumlines, a particularly great year for SCV with a great drumsolo to boot.

1992 - I think there are few out there that realize how remarkably talented these guys were, but just check out the I&E results if you're curious.

1974 - "Old School" defined.

1980 - Stoneground Seven. Nuff said.

1987 - Well written and well performed, again with a jammin and highly effective drumsolo.

2004 - Back in the drivers seat with Scheherezade, nicely done.

1993 - This line of rookies actually BEAT Star of Indiana in drums at finals prelims (becha didn't know that!). Lee Rudnicki really beat the odds here.

1988 - This is a gem of a line and a fantastic interpretation of Phantom as far as I'm concerned. Is that the first Vanguard line to play flam-drags? :tongue:

This is like the greatest post I've ever read! If I ever run into you at a show, I owe you a pint afterwards, 'cause this just made my day.

:cool: :cool:

I was honored to be able to wear the SCV uniform and be a part of a drum line that, in my eyes, was legendary. The first time I tried on the uniform, I looked in the mirror and couldn't believe I was wearing THAT uniform. I remember thinking I was a #### good drummer before I went down, but I learned a ton with SCV and worked my ### off. It was a very humbling experience to discover I had so much yet to learn. And donning the hat of Captain Obvious, I have to say "Ralph is the man!" He was so awesome and to this day I count myself as very lucky to have marched when Ralph Hardimon was running the drum line and Gail Royer was running the corps.

Sorry for drifting... Back on topic, I'll give my top ten Vanguard lines (as I feel about them today, and yes, they're subject to change):

:doh:

Im not so great at defining the best full lines, however, I will give my top 3 of each sub-section:

Snarelines:

1988, 1998, 2003

Tenors:

1992, 2005, 2008

Basses:

1995, 2003, ...they have pretty much all been great, but these two stand out. Blanking on a 3rd.

Pit:

1999, 2000, 2003

Cymbals:

2003, 2006, 2007

If any of you are interested in what it was like to be in the 1998 SCV drum line you should check out my book. It was a really fun line to be in mainly because we were so aggressive on the field. Drum our rear ends off all day, fight club on the buses at night. Great year. :cool:

If any of you are interested in what it was like to be in the 1998 SCV drum line you should check out my book. It was a really fun line to be in mainly because we were so aggressive on the field. Drum our rear ends off all day, fight club on the buses at night. Great year. :cool:

So how did Jeremy W. do on the bus fights?

Having marched in SCV's snareline for a few years in the early '80s, it's difficult for me to judge anything after that period. Yet, for me, ANY discussion about "best SCV line" starts and ends with '75. That line was arguably one of the best lines in the history or DC, let alone SCV.

I'd go with

Pick 'em.

The Sanford/Bob K. (and he gets too little credit) era was special. 73-75... special! '79's 12 snares winning drums? Special! I don't know how '78 stacks up to those that followed, but it was a helluva line for the era.

As far as your '84 call goes... that line deserves a great deal of credit for what they accomplished given the circumstances, as does Ralph for his brilliant writing utilizing the combo of what he had to work with and the new judging system in place. But to put 'em at the top of the list... no, no, no.

SCV '73 to '75--best drum line ever. Edited by tommyfromhowardst

1984 - Gets my top spot mostly for having the most subtle drum solo ever, great stuff.

1991 - Wow, they really played the crap out of that show didn't they?

1981 - A great year for drumlines, a particularly great year for SCV with a great drumsolo to boot.

1992 - I think there are few out there that realize how remarkably talented these guys were, but just check out the I&E results if you're curious.

1974 - "Old School" defined.

1980 - Stoneground Seven. Nuff said.

1987 - Well written and well performed, again with a jammin and highly effective drumsolo.

2004 - Back in the drivers seat with Scheherezade, nicely done.

1993 - This line of rookies actually BEAT Star of Indiana in drums at finals prelims (becha didn't know that!). Lee Rudnicki really beat the odds here.

1988 - This is a gem of a line and a fantastic interpretation of Phantom as far as I'm concerned. Is that the first Vanguard line to play flam-drags? :cool:

Where's 1999 on this list? The snare line that year was insane.

I'm with you on 1992, though--as explained here, three of the four rookies in the battery were Jeff Queen, Colin McNutt and Nick Angelis. The rest of the battery were vets of the line that won high percussion the year before.

As to '93: that show is painful to watch on so many levels. But the drum solo in the latter half of the show is one of the most underrated drum breaks around.

Any list of this sort that doesn't even INCLUDE 1975 is invalid on its face. Are you kidding me?

Nope. I went with 74 instead because I felt it was nicely representative of the era.

75 was great too, but I felt they covered much the same stylistic ground in 81 and did it even better.

Still, a tough call.

You're right--'74 was undefeated and '75 they were beat early by BD and tied by Kilties mid-season. But still '73-'75 was the sweetest!! '73 was their most musical year, the right mix of kick-a## drum corps with the finesse of an orchestra. Bas##### were good.

80 wasn't the cleanest drum line around, but they deserve an honourable mention for playing the best drum solo anyone ever wrote.

Hear, hear! :thumbup: