Corps to watch out for in 2010

Although it's impossible to know how a corps is going to do next season before that season even starts, I'd like to see peoples' opinions on what corps they think (hope) are really going to come out and surprise us in 2010.

I'd like to start with the Mandarins. I was really impressed with the show they put on this year after being second to last in the World Class for the past two years. Their show really got me to start paying attention to the lower-ranked corps in the World Class. I think if they can put on a show that good with an undersized corps, they could potentially challenge for a spot at finals with a full corps. I am now officially a Mandarins fan just as much as I'm a Blue Devils fan or a Santa Clara Vanguard fan, and I think that says a lot.

Anyways, your thoughts?

Blue Stars.

?

Also, really young group this summer from what ive heard.

I ususally look for just the opposite than you do. If a corps performs the heck out of their show and it has a special connection with the audience then I I noticed that they often fall the next year (think 2008 PR and even Madison and Xmen). My criteria for corps to "watch for" would be a corps that did well one year, makes a big drop the next and then addresses areas of weakness (2009 SCV and Academy). I have a couple of guesses for 2010 but I need to see what they do to address their weaknesses (cough, Bluecoats and Xmen).

Edited by OICMR corps

Blue Stars.

?

Also, really young group this summer from what ive heard.

Blue Devils, Cadets, and Cavaliers.

Why? Because one of these three corps as won or come in second every year except 1988, 1989, 1978, 1975, and 1974. That's through at least 3 distinct eras of drum corps. The more things change the more things stay the same. 3 times in the 70's, 2 times in the 80's. Not once in the 90's and not once in this decade.

It'll be one or all three of these in contention for a title again next year. There will be competition, but 3 of these will be right up there again next year also.

Edited by jplattSCV

I'll just answer for everyone:

I hope my corps does better.

Of course, but Mandarins is not my corps. And yes, I do have a corps. I just think including a bias in the OP of this thread would compromise its integrity.

Id also say... troopers. Their improvement the last few years has been remarkable. What will they do next year?

Blue Devils, Cadets, and Cavaliers.

Why? Because one of these three corps as won or come in second every year except 1988, 1989, 1978, 1975, and 1974. That's through at least 3 distinct eras of drum corps. The more things change the more things stay the same. 3 times in the 70's, 2 times in the 80's. Not once in the 90's and not once in this decade.

It'll be one or all three of these in contention for a title again next year. There will be competition, but 3 of these will be right up there again next year also.

Good point, but I was kind of thinking of corps that you think will come out and surprise us in 2010. It wouldn't be the least bit surprising to see those corps in the top 5.

Of course, but Mandarins is not my corps. And yes, I do have a corps. I just think including a bias in the OP of this thread would compromise its integrity.

oh I hear you...

I just think that most people will respond that they are hoping their corps will take a step up next year. And honestly, no one could fault them for that.

I also really enjoyed Mandarins show this year.

to reply to the OP, I will throw out... Boston, as a corps that is looking to improve.

edit for Boston thoughts: I don't know where they're going to go though. They are primed to get better, but I'm not confident enough right now to predict anyone who finished ahead of them in 2009 will finish behind them in 2010.

Edited by soccerguy315

I'm gonna have to wait for some staff announcements.. but at the top I think SCV is coming back into play which is awesome and I hope they keep it up. Crossmen and Madison need to make some changes.. they both messed up by not continuing to play the game... whatever that means... take it how you wish, lol. With Bones and Scouts it all depends on changes and retention.. if they can get enough vets to come back, which may be tough after a year like this, and they make the right changes, watch out...

I think we need to watch out for every corps... cause things are very competitive the past two years from first to last.