WC Conductor/DM

What WC Corps can you audition straight for conductor/DM?

Is conducting experience an absolute must?

I would imagine that conducting experience (or at least knowing how to conduct) would be a must if you were just going to go straight into it...I think phantom allows anyone to audition?

I've always been curious and Phantom was the only one I've ever heard of that allows that.

I enjoyed playing too much in high school and went to march corp last year but got sick and had to leave.

I have conducted smaller groups at church and will have a symphony for a musical, I think my passion is for leading instead of playing.

I know in the past Pacific Crest and Blue Devils have allowed for drum majors to audition. Not sure if they still do that.

I've always been curious and Phantom was the only one I've ever heard of that allows that.

I enjoyed playing too much in high school and went to march corp last year but got sick and had to leave.

I have conducted smaller groups at church and will have a symphony for a musical, I think my passion is for leading instead of playing.

Yikes.

If you want the respect of the corps, you are going to want to earn your stripes as a performer on the field first.

At Phantom, you can be a conductor, just not head conductor.

I think even the principal conductor can be someone who was previously not in the corps.

pretty sure Will Pitts was a rookie in 05, and he was principal conductor

I think you can audition at blue stars too?? and maybe bluecoats??

I feel like more corps are starting to do what PR does in this regard

Yikes.

If you want the respect of the corps, you are going to want to earn your stripes as a performer on the field first.

That does make sense I would prefer being in the Asst. first.

I have two years left and most likely won't be able to march one because of certain private issues.

Blue Stars would be amazing.

Yikes.

I can only quote (and agree with) Hans Halberstadt's assessment in his book about the Navy SEALS :

...."Unlike many other units, particularly conventional ones, SEAL's train their officers and enlisted people together at the same time. While it puts additional stresses on the officers, who must fulfill administative duties as well as survive the program, it has the advantage of applying the same high standards to the commissioned officers, while their followers observe. The result is an extra measure of respect for a SEAL officer."