Question for critics of the synths/electronics

One of the common complaints I've seen here about synthesizers (or guitars, basses, samplers, etc) is that the volume can be turned up without any extra effort from the performer, as opposed to acoustic instruments. However, what about the micing of the keyboard instruments in the pit, or brass soloists? Sure, they can produce more sound through physical effort, but so can most electronic instruments/patches. Anything that's miced can be turned up quite a bit by just changing settings on a mixer. Why is this only considered a problem for purely electronic instruments?

I'm not trying to make this a "gotcha" topic, I'm genuinely curious to hear what the critics think. It may just be that the people who've voiced this concern also want no amps at all, I dunno.

One of the common complaints I've seen here about synthesizers (or guitars, basses, samplers, etc) is that the volume can be turned up without any extra effort from the performer, as opposed to acoustic instruments. However, what about the micing of the keyboard instruments in the pit, or brass soloists? Sure, they can produce more sound through physical effort, but so can most electronic instruments/patches. Anything that's miced can be turned up quite a bit by just changing settings on a mixer. Why is this only considered a problem for purely electronic instruments?

I'm not trying to make this a "gotcha" topic, I'm genuinely curious to hear what the critics think. It may just be that the people who've voiced this concern also want no amps at all, I dunno.

I just don't think anything that needs to be plugged in should be on the field. Period.

I've ALWAYS hated electronic sounds mixed with acoustic sounds, no matter the venue. Mic it all or have it all acoustic. Don't mix it.

People voice the same concern about standard about standard pit instruments all the time...maybe you haven't been around long enough. Many pits for the past five years, including the one you performed in, have been completely out of balance with regard to volume, an ensemble error that isn't reflected on the sheets. That said, your show was still one of the best drum corps shows I have personally had the pleasure of seeing live.

Edited by Hrothgar15

Why is this only considered a problem for purely electronic instruments?

Who has ever said that that is only considered a problem for the synths, alone?

Granted, my experience is anecdotal by definition, but I have never seen anyone say anything that could be taken as "volume controls on a synth are evil, but they're fine and dandy on an amplified pit!"

People voice the same concern about standard about standard pit instruments all the time...maybe you haven't been around long enough. Many pits for the past five years, including the one you performed in, have been completely out of balance with regard to volume, an ensemble error that isn't reflected on the sheets. That said, your show was still one of the best drum corps shows I have personally had the pleasure of seeing live.

Man, look at you, calling out corps members!

You're on fire!

Whats your phone number?!?! I want you to judge my band show!!!

You must be a genius!!!

I find it completely necessary to amplify the front ensemble keyboards. Doing so allows performers to play with proper orchestral technique (you know, the kind that a college admissions officer may want to see at an audition). Moreover, it allows them to explore the different colors on their instrument (such as the darker, deeper tones of a marimba) and still be heard.

Man, look at you, calling out corps members!

You're on fire!

Whats your phone number?!?! I want you to judge my band show!!!

You must be a genius!!!

My phone number is 678-910-9326 if you would like to contact me. However, I am an engineer who is not involved with music in any way, so I'm not sure that I'd be qualified for that position. Thanks for the offer, though.

I just don't think anything that needs to be plugged in should be on the field. Period.

I've ALWAYS hated electronic sounds mixed with acoustic sounds, no matter the venue. Mic it all or have it all acoustic. Don't mix it.

I didn't realize until I read a few threads here that some corps were boosting the bass and other things this year. Seems to me that there's a reasonable case for electronic sounds, but only as adjuncts to the unamplified instruments on the field. That apple crunching during the BC show drew appreciative laughs from the audience every time I saw the show, and the surf sounds and SOS by the Colts were nice touches.

(This is off-topic, but the BS show suffered a bit at Indy because the amp wasn't up to projecting the "radio" announcement throughout the stadium. All I heard upstairs was mumbles.)

So while I agree with your basic point, there's probably some room for synths but if they aren't fenced in tightly, IMO, they're going to creep into areas where they shouldn't be.

I find it completely necessary to amplify the front ensemble keyboards. Doing so allows performers to play with proper orchestral technique (you know, the kind that a college admissions officer may want to see at an audition). Moreover, it allows them to explore the different colors on their instrument (such as the darker, deeper tones of a marimba) and still be heard.

I wasn't aware that DCI didn't exist until 2004.

Oh wait, actually, they spent 32 years ensuring that amplification was not allowed.