Which hornlines have been too loud?

Could a hornline march G horns if the staff and players were up to it. Are their any rules against it?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw then a dozen times on tour in '80.

They actually seemd louder in the finals in Allentown because the seats were so much closer to the field.

Thank You! At least someone was there that knows the REALITY of what was that hornline.

Could a hornline march G horns if the staff and players were up to it. Are their any rules against it?

AFIK you are allowed bell front valved brass in any key. The question is what would the judges think about it.

G horns can no longer be used competitively in DCI, unfortunately. Pioneer was the last corps to use G bugles, and brass judges told them to switch to Bb/F if they wanted to be competitive in brass performance.

imagine that... music judges demanding musical intonation and solid pitch center.

Apparently you don't play brass, G horns can be and have been played in tune (and out of tune) just like Bb. Horns aren't "in tune" just by being in a certain key. Trumpet players should know this as they have to play multitudes of different keys. Quite honestly I could go for a few semi-out of tune chords for more dynamic contrast and the wow factor that makes drum corps unique. Most people without trained ears confuse the unique overtone series and sound of bugles as "out of tune" when it isn't the case at all. Judges "demanding" and "threatening" is DCI and drum corps is where it is today. Ask Phantom if they are considering adding a synth for next year after their inability to play ball with the new mafia I mean DCI judging and rules. :tongue:

Yeah, because Star '90, '91, '92 and '93 were so horrible in both those categories :tongue:

hey now

don't put words in my mouth. bugles are *harder* to play well. star was very good. as was bd during the bugle era, and several others.

younger groups on bugles... eeeeeeeee

Apparently you don't play brass, G horns can be and have been played in tune (and out of tune) just like Bb.

did i say or imply that they haven't been/can't be?

no.

Horns aren't "in tune" just by being in a certain key.

of course they aren't, but the build quality of all the bugles i played was far inferior to that of all the Bb horns i played.

poor build quality --> harder to sound like one section

Try telling a brass caption head that his hornline is playing too loud during the hit and your only option is going to be duck or run. :tongue: