When have guards been too loud?

In 1984 we used to tell our guard (Garfield) they had a solo on the albums (that would be a grooved vinyl analog recording and playback mechanism for sound, for you current marching members). They had a unison flag toss and catch right after the chromatic run in Rumble and the catch was on a beat of silence. The wooden dowels in the flag poles can be clearly heard as a percussive sound just before the closing three notes from the horns and drums. I always love hearing that and thought its cleanliness was a great testimony to the detailed timing work of Peggy Twiggs!

LOL! I didn't use dowels (and wish I had). Somebody had a brainstorm and suggested that, to weight our flagpoles, we should put metal washers in the bottom. "Sounds good to me!" I thought. So I spent I don't know how many hours bundling up rows of washers and taping them together with duct tape, then putting them in the flagpoles and capping the bottom. Well, wouldn't you know it, the tape eventually broke on most of 'em, and so of course, every time we changed equipment, we would toss the flagpoles over the ones we were picking up, and it sounded like sleigh bells!

Edited by byline

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 85 we used pennies. You would stack as many pennies as you needed and wrap them with tape; then put as much tape as you needed around the stack so it would wedge itself in the top of the flagpole. If you would normally toss higher than others, you would get more pennies put in your poles.

Although, some of the poles had little short pieces of a skinnier pole riveted into the tops. If the rivets were loose, the pole would make noise when you would spin.

I "think" whatever year the "Freelancers?" guard played sops.

:tongue: :tongue: :huh2::doh:

YES!! 1984, loudest guard I ever heard (not too loud though, see loud hornline thread). They were actually pretty good come finals!

Loud visually, just look at most Crown uniforms:

2003-skin tight golden nastiness

2006-skin tight purple nastiness

2008-pick your least favorite green object and that is what their uniforms were

Audibly, think back to Madison in 1995 stomping on the platforms that was helpful to the show. But any guard member that pics up a mic ever is loud in a bad way.

Then there's VK... :tongue:

Edited by The Rudy

FREEEEEDOM!!!

But at least they didn't need to amp him. :tongue: