Fans on the 20 yard line

yeas. last saturday. back in the day we started putting our show together in october. we started our drill in early march. every thursday, friday night and saturday and sunday all day. we did this untill memorial day when we had our first show. we did between 18-22 shows a season. we did shows on saturday and sunday. we worked hard and all the corps were good. we practiced a lot. i'm not saying they don't work hard today but our schedule was very intense. if you wanted to march the commitment was great. we did what we were told and we loved it. now do the dca corps do this today? no. that's what it takes to do a 13 minute show and a big fanfare. i love dca today but you never see the end of the show coming. they just stop. and the only show we didn't troop the stads was DCA & A.L NATS. that was because of the amount of corps competeing. this is my opinion. but like you said it's all good. :tongue:

Well you wont get any arguments from me there. Discipline and commitment is different for sure. I can even see a difference from 15 years ago and today, and even more from when I switched from DCI to DCA. Corps just focus on different things.

Anyhow, back on topic:

trooping the stands to exit the performance :worthy:

trooping the stands at retreat :tongue:

That's my opinion.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trooping the stands at retreat :thumbup:

This needs to be brought back at Finals. One last mini performance for all the other corps that didn't get 1st and get an encore. Why have the corps march all the way out there and stand forever only to march back out the gate single file to a tap.

Do they still do all those ridiculous caption trophies at finals? Those wasted a good portion of time if I remember correctly. (I'm talking the best use of 3rd valve, loudest bass drum, biggest plume, shiniest shoes and all that stuff, not the actual judged caption awards and DM of course)

That time could've been used to allow the corps to troop and play. I believe the time constraint on the stadium was the reason for getting rid of the practice altogether. Could be wrong.

Back in the halcyon days of "Off the Line" and "Exit", a fan who bought a ticket on the 20 yard line actually had a pretty good seat. Nowadays...not so much.

Wouldn't it be a neat change of pace to have the corps "exit" the field, not to a cadence, or the dreaded single snare drum "tap", ..but, instead, to a corps signature at full volume?

Call me old-fashioned, but if the Hurricanes turned and played Mag 7 in my grill on the 20 yard line, it would go a long way toward easing the pain of that 20 yard line seat. The rumps, Georgia, Auld Lang Syne, Shangri-La, Mag 7, Elks Parade, Moonlight Serenade and anything by Reading, all up in my face, would give me my money's worth for sure.

How hard could this be? Parade formation, 4 count turn, 64 counts of ridiculousness, next corps please.

Awesome!

Naw! They'd have to haul all that pit stuff down to the endzone...it would take hours.

:thumbup:

Not for my money, sorry WBC.

In the Jurassic era, when I marched, I often thought that the activity would be better without start/finish lines, color presentation, constant 128 bpm and judges in military khakis. Grownups I asked about this viewed me as a heretic.

Today's product is more musical, more sonorous and designed soooo much better than BITD when designers where shackled by archaic rules.

Some of those fans on the 20 gabbed during performances, walked around the track during shows and counted how many people fainted at the end.

I don't want to ask performers who have just given their all to park and bark at the stands, no matter how "traditional" the song is. On the other hand I enjoy the alumni corps and have been privileged to emcee the Alumni Spectacular at DCAs more than a couple of years.

One of the most marvelous dc instances I've seen was this year's Teal Sound exhibition at the Barnum show in Bridgeport.

One of the oldest, stodgiest and hidebound crowds you can find in the biz were enthralled by these young people--who performed complete with amplification--and a rock band, to boot. They easily received the biggest ovation of the night next to the hometown Hurcs.

My fifth of a dime. Peace.

Those "archaic" rules are what made it drum and bugle corps. Imagine having to compete within strict guidelines, and be creative about it, in order to preserve a unique form of competition, and that very competition, was the basis for the entertainment.

Modern designers had no taste for the competition part, only the design and entertainment part. So, no more drum and bugle corps competitions.

It's cool, though, as long as people like it, buy tickets, and the members enjoy performing.

Just think how much more enjoyable the PGA would be if they changed the rules to allow cheerleaders.

Do they still do all those ridiculous caption trophies at finals?

The number of caption/special awards given out at Finals retreat has been reduced by quite a bit, since 2006.

And thank God for that. :thumbup:

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

The number of caption/special awards given out at Finals retreat has been reduced by quite a bit, since 2006.

And thank God for that. :thumbup:

Fran

Why, then, do they insist upon retaining that ridiculous award for "the person who drove the furthest to wear the most outrageous shirt."

I mean, after all, it's been won by the same person for twenty-three years in a row.