1. Bus rides

2. Shows

3. Life-long friends

Yup, that's it.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before tour- So I could move up to a corps that could win a ring.

While on tour, I experienced something I never could forget. We were in parade at a town in New Jersey for the 4th. While playing, I noticed a group of older VFW people siting in chairs along the route.

As the corps proper passed the vets, the vets stood at attention and saluted the corps as it passed. These people, who sacrificed so much for their country, stood and saluted us. I will never forget that feeling of pride.

I joined corps because, quite honestly, my high school had no other good drummers. I loved marching band but never had an instructor, I got most of what I knew from books and from watching VHS tapes in the band room.

My first day blew me away....a room full of guys that loved drumming as much as me....and they were way better. I knew that first day my goal of playing the instrument I wanted to was out, but I made the line. I just loved playing all day, getting up in the morning and hitting the pad, warming up, learning charts, shows...everything.

I couldn't wait for my rookie year to end, I didn't want to go back. Come fall I was ready again. I was very fortunate to have a four year ride that saw my corps get better by leaps and bounds. The drumline got some respect in DCI, and I liked being part of that. I never really got the 110% every time you put the drum on until my age out year. Once I got in tour shape, I truly tried to max everything that summer. I pushed, and really felt empowered with chops and energy.

So, I joined to be with guys that loved drumming as much as me, and I stayed to make the line better and enjoy a sweet ride to the top. A great four years.

i can't imagine not having done it, and like you I was a 7 year vet.

i can't imagine not having done it, and like you I was a 7 year vet.

7 years was a long time. as a friend of mine put it over the summer, 1/3 of my life thus far. Think about that one. Dedicating 1/3 of your life to something. Its harder to grasp at the age of 21. But I did it and there are no major physical problems to be heard of. So success?

I think so.

7 years was a long time. as a friend of mine put it over the summer, 1/3 of my life thus far. Think about that one. Dedicating 1/3 of your life to something. Its harder to grasp at the age of 21. But I did it and there are no major physical problems to be heard of. So success?

I think so.

Well not quite a 1/3 of my life so far, but it was well worth it. I can't imagine having done anything else during those summers, and I remember in 1989 and 1990 I went to as many shows as I could because I was still just so caught up in the activity. I also went down to canton to watch a few practices during those years as well. I just still wanted to be a part of the Corps even though I had aged out. If I could have afforded it I would have tried to get on staff so I could keep touring but bills needed to be paid.

I just want to point out to the OP that your deum corps involvement doesn't have to end with DCI. You can stay involved with it as long as you want through DCA. It's up to you.