Year Abbreviations for the next Decade

Greetings my fellow drum corps people,

As some of you may know, the time has come for us to make a vital decision in drum corps history. Since drum corps' creation, we have abbreviated the years in the same way. For example, if one is asked in which years one marched, one might respond, "I marched '84 (eighty-four) to '86 (eighty-six) Suncoast Sound".

Unfortunately, if we are to continue this method of year abbreviation, we will sound extremely awkward for the next decade. Take this statement as an example:

"I marched '10 (ten) Bluecoats".

What did you say?? You marched ten Bluecoats? At the same time!?!

Or perhaps let's try, "Man, Phantom Regiment marched really well in '11 (eleven)!".

Whoa! In which year did Phantom march an entire show in 11/8 meter... or wait... did you mean that all the sets in their show were sets of 11? Hmmm...

My friends here at DCP, I propose to you a solution. Let us join together to fight the awkwardness of this whole decade. We must precede the usual abbreviation with another "0" ("oh"). Of course, the abbreviation can still be written as it always has ('10, '11, '12, etc.), but we will simply insert the "0" in our speech. Consequently, '17 will read "oh-seventeen".

I thank you all for seriously considering this situation, and I assure you that we will be able to go back to the old ways starting in the year 2020. Please post your thoughts on the matter.

Good day.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As some of you may know, the time has come for us to make a vital decision in drum corps history. Since drum corps' creation, we have abbreviated the years in the same way. For example, if one is asked in which years one marched, one might respond, "I marched '84 (eighty-four) to '86 (eighty-six) Suncoast Sound".

Unfortunately, if we are to continue this method of year abbreviation, we will sound extremely awkward for the next decade. Take this statement as an example:

Or perhaps let's try, "Man, Phantom Regiment marched really well in '11 (eleven)!".

Whoa! In which year did Phantom march an entire show in 11/8 meter... or wait... did you mean that all the sets in their show were sets of 11? Hmmm...

My friends here at DCP, I propose to you a solution. Let us join together to fight the awkwardness of this whole decade. We must precede the usual abbreviation with another "0" ("oh"). Of course, the abbreviation can still be written as it always has ('10, '11, '12, etc.), but we will simply insert the "0" in our speech. Consequently, '17 will read "oh-seventeen".

I thank you all for seriously considering this situation, and I assure you that we will be able to go back to the old ways starting in the year 2020. Please post your thoughts on the matter.

Good day.

I don't think the year 2020 fixes the problem.

"I marched '20 (twenty) Bluecoats".

What did you say?? You marched twenty Bluecoats? At the same time!?!

Still doesn't work.

'10 Bluecoats, '20 Bluecoats, '86 Bluecoats. How do these sound different? Until we get to the point where some corps are over 100 years old, there isn't much to get confused about.

<grammar police>

I guess if we were to use proper syntax for our announcements of years marched, we may be better to say "I marched with/in the '05 (oh-five) Bluecoats." For the year 2010 and over, I have no problem with saying "twenty-ten."

Though my preference of grammar is always that from the hands of Yoda:

"The '05 Bluecoats I had marched in, yes." However, I will admit that I am not one who is familiar with that of Yoda speech.

About 50 years from now we will have to face the consequences of using all four digits of the 20th century time logs, much like we do now with the 19th century, but until then... it's all good.

</ grammar police>

I be did Bluecoats 2005 year from march. :tongue:

Because saying the full year name would just be SUCH a hassle =)

Good day.

No.

Well, if you said I marched in 92 Crossmen, it would be the same as if you said the 12 Crossmen, both are the same. We just aren't used to saying 10, 11, 12 ... because we haven't grown up in that era yet.

I'd imagine people will add "O" to years for awhile.