The index of leading drum corps indicators

If everything else that the OP (me) claims is false, then please, debunk some of the other information I have given in this thread:

1) That the number of junior drum corps has shrunk dramatically, over the course DCI's history;

2) That the number of youth that participate in junior drum corps has also shrunk dramatically, over the course of DCI's history;

3) The number of junior drum corps shows has also shrunk dramatically as well, over the course of DCI's history;

4) There has been significant increases in operating costs at a number of junior corps, and as a result, many are operating in the red;

5) The spending on discretionary items - such as the amount of paid staff - has also risen dramatically in recent years.

Please, if you have facts or figures to counter some of these claims, please provide them. I have gleaned my information from public sources - including the DC World reports, and IRS Form 990 filings.

If you have information to the contrary, please share. I am all ears.

There's a book that was recommended to me by a mentor a few years ago when I was lamenting the same types of statistics. It was truly enlightening. Check it out here.

The parallels are interesting, to say the least.

There is considerable debate published within the forums of Drum Corps Planet outlining the "DCI killed drum corps" vs. "DCI is drum corps" arguments. I don't wish to add to that pile tonight.

One thing that I don't think can be debated: Over the course of DCI's history, the world has changed considerably.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that I don't think can be debated: Over the course of DCI's history, the world has changed considerably.

Agreed. The World has changed considerably.Gone are the days where you have kids coming in off the street, you put a horn/mallets/sticks/flag in their hands and away you go. Not only that, but as I mentioned earlier, our culture has fundamentally changed in certain ways over the last 30-40 years. This is why IMO it is so important for OC as a distinct cross-section of the activity to define it's place within Drum Corps, and find creative strategies to increase brand awareness of our part of the activity, and to RECRUIT well (for members, volunteers, staff, you name it.)

Along the same line as the earlier posters, It doesn't make sense to market ourselves as a WC Corps does. The majority in OC can't offer 2 1/2 month tours, don't have auditionees coming from all over the Country, etc. etc. So we need to find ways to define ourselves and appeal to our local markets. I think a big part of a lack of awareness in the activity is a lack of community ties. Some Corps do this well, many, not so much. The problem is that so much of our model of competition is focused on being everywhere else BUT our home base, so I don't think enough care and attention goes into installing each Corps as a fixture of their community. Maybe if we can start to reverse this trend, we'll see some of the indicators moving in the other direction I.e. more membership, more corps, MORE donations....

BTW, the book looks interesting. I'll have to pick up a copy.

Edited by Canadacorps

I agree that more Corps are needed to keep this activity going. But, part of the problem with attrition in the ranks is that many good people go and attempt to build Corps without the support, volunteer base, or fundraising and business skills needed to make it viable and grow into something more. If we could inject some of the enthusiasm and dedication that these motivated individuals possess into existing programs, we could potentially see alot firmer foundations for many Corps.

Growth is good, but we cannot realistically expect HUGE growth without a massive shift in our culture back to the days of volunteerism and supporting one's community. Especially in Canada, you and I both know that we are not a heavy-volunteer culture, and many Canadians don't posess nearly the same type of patriotism, sense of community, or commitment to music education as our friends south of the border. I mean, look at last Septembers election, when even our Prime Minister had stated that the arts are "all about expensive galas" and "ordinary Canadians do not support them." Maybe this is why attrition has hit us so much harder here in Canada. (This Country is SORELY lacking for Drum Corps, The Strutters are now the ONLY Drum & Bugle Corps that serves youth in the ENTIRE Western half of Canada.)

However, not all is doom and gloom. Our activity can grow again. Especially up North here, we have to come together with a strategy that is going to result in new approaches in marketing our activity to the public. You are on the right track, we have to start again with younger kids, and grow from there. I don't know whether a new division is necessary... But maybe our existing division needs to be increasingly more oriented toward determining what our place within the activity is, defining it, and then improving the marketing of our brand.

We also need to continue working amongst ourselves to implement proper strategies that will lead to more exposure, and eventually growth and popularity. We can't wait for graces to shower down on us from the top of World Class, and DCI. It isn't going to happen. They have to focus on remaining viable themselves.

To summarize, I agree that the focus of Open Class should be on educating our members and giving them a fantastic experience, but growth will take a steady-handed approach with everyone working together.

*EDITED FOR CLARITY*

SEE! THAT'S THE EXACT PROBLEM IN CANADA, PEOPLE ARE JUST SO NEGATIVE ABOUT CORPS ETC. AND "KNOW" CANADIAN KIDS AREN'T INTERESTED IN JOINING A DRUM CORPS. Kids and adults I talk to about drum corps sooner or later say "WOW, I NEVER KNEW YOU DID THAT! I have always believed in two thoughts One. Drum corps is the best activy available to kids with experiences and skills they will gather etc. and second. If the kids in any city or town that has a drum corps TRULY KNEW WHAT DRUM CORPS IS ALL ABOUT, EVERY ONE OF THOSE CORPS WOULD HAVE A WAITING LIST! Perfect example, in summer of '79 I was handed the job of director of the Edmonton All Girls, no-one else wanted it. they were at about 20 girls and a major tour planned for the next summer and girls just weren't interested in the activity anylonger. WE toured the next summer with 75 girls and won two championship shows and in the fall the city flew us to Toronto to represent the city at the Grey Cup activities (Canada's Football Championship), parade and a couple of standstill performances, our average age that year was 13 1/2 yrs. and 58 were rookies, marched 89 girls the next summer. In '88 I returned to Hamilton, Ont. only to find Conqueror II had gone inactive. Got the directors job and following summer marched a parade corps of aprox. 40. This organization is still active today.

As drum corps demonstarted "If it's too good to me true, Sometimes it really IS TRUE!" Share this activity with todays youth, Do what you can when you can.Don't believe these negative people, respect their views but don't let someone else control you life. If your thinking of starting a new corps take a word from NIKE and "JUST DO IT!"

This ends todays sermon.

Agreed. The World has changed considerably.Gone are the days where you have kids coming in off the street, you put a horn/mallets/sticks/flag in their hands and away you go. Not only that, but as I mentioned earlier, our culture has fundamentally changed in certain ways over the last 30-40 years. This is why IMO it is so important for OC as a distinct cross-section of the activity to define it's place within Drum Corps, and find creative strategies to increase brand awareness of our part of the activity, and to RECRUIT well (for members, volunteers, staff, you name it.)

The key to member recruitment is member retention. So... not only must there be strong brand awareness, there must be a strong program to make kids want to stay... and bring their friends the following season. DCI is a marketing organization and an event management organization... it does not, however, control the operations of the groups of which it is comprised.

We can produce slick videos... equip the corps with beautiful collateral marketing materials... but if you think about it, the bulk of the responsibility for making the drum corps experience attractive to a prospective member has little to do with the folks in the Indianapolis HQ.

Along the same line as the earlier posters, It doesn't make sense to market ourselves as a WC Corps does. The majority in OC can't offer 2 1/2 month tours, don't have auditionees coming from all over the Country, etc. etc. So we need to find ways to define ourselves and appeal to our local markets. I think a big part of a lack of awareness in the activity is a lack of community ties. Some Corps do this well, many, not so much. The problem is that so much of our model of competition is focused on being everywhere else BUT our home base, so I don't think enough care and attention goes into installing each Corps as a fixture of their community. Maybe if we can start to reverse this trend, we'll see some of the indicators moving in the other direction I.e. more membership, more corps, MORE donations....

BTW, the book looks interesting. I'll have to pick up a copy.

I offer another point to consider, particularly as it relates to growing an Open Class corps. I should be clear: by "growing," I don't necessarily mean making the program bigger. I mean growing by every measure... quality of experience, retention of members, recruitment of volunteers... all of the "leading indicators" plus a few more.

Consider this variation on your sentences above:

"The problem is that so much of our model is focused on competition, rather than being everywhere else BUT competition, so I don't think enough care and attention goes into instilling in each corps the need to be a great youth organization first, and a highly competitive one second. Maybe if we can start to reverse this trend, we'll see some of the indicators moving in the other direction, i.e. more membership, more corps, more donations, more volunteers..."

Let's not get too crazy: competition undoubtedly drives the excellence that we enjoy as a hallmark of the drum corps experience. So many folks, however, get blinded by the need to score points on the field, they don't stop to build a strong foundation that transcends rules changes, trends, and all of the other trappings on the performance-side of "the activity." It has been my experience that many folks starting drum corps don't want to talk about any of this sort of stuff... because they often seem to believe that instant competitive success is the key to strong recruitment.

I've included this in several presentations, and I believe it: build it and they will come... but build it RIGHT and they will stay... and they'll bring their friends. Member retention is the key to member recruitment. Make the experience great, and the drum corps will be great. It just takes patience and "purity of purpose."

The key to member recruitment is member retention. So... not only must there be strong brand awareness, there must be a strong program to make kids want to stay... and bring their friends the following season. DCI is a marketing organization and an event management organization... it does not, however, control the operations of the groups of which it is comprised.

We can produce slick videos... equip the corps with beautiful collateral marketing materials... but if you think about it, the bulk of the responsibility for making the drum corps experience attractive to a prospective member has little to do with the folks in the Indianapolis HQ.

I offer another point to consider, particularly as it relates to growing an Open Class corps. I should be clear: by "growing," I don't necessarily mean making the program bigger. I mean growing by every measure... quality of experience, retention of members, recruitment of volunteers... all of the "leading indicators" plus a few more.

"The problem is that so much of our model is focused on competition, rather than being everywhere else BUT competition, so I don't think enough care and attention goes into instilling in each corps the need to be a great youth organization first, and a highly competitive one second. Maybe if we can start to reverse this trend, we'll see some of the indicators moving in the other direction, i.e. more membership, more corps, more donations, more volunteers..."

Let's not get too crazy: competition undoubtedly drives the excellence that we enjoy as a hallmark of the drum corps experience. So many folks, however, get blinded by the need to score points on the field, they don't stop to build a strong foundation that transcends rules changes, trends, and all of the other trappings on the performance-side of "the activity." It has been my experience that many folks starting drum corps don't want to talk about any of this sort of stuff... because they often seem to believe that instant competitive success is the key to strong recruitment.

I've included this in several presentations, and I believe it: build it and they will come... but build it RIGHT and they will stay... and they'll bring their friends. Member retention is the key to member recruitment. Make the experience great, and the drum corps will be great. It just takes patience and "purity of purpose."

Mr. Jacobs:

Your statements echo everything I've ever understood about drum corps recruiting. Sure, a good staff is important, but members bring potential members. That's the most effective recruiting tool a corps has...satisfied members. Also, if there are satisfied parents to go with this equation, they help ease the initial concerns of new parents and help them find a way to be involved. The best examples of drum corps I have witnessed have had excellent and WELL MANAGED parent involvement...sometimes even extended family involvement.

The key here is the well managed part. I remember one of the first parents meeting we went to. The corps director described some of the volunteer opportunities and explained a parent's association with the corps as follows. It was about how fans watch their kid and volunteers need to treat every corps member as their kid. The choice was ours...we could be fans, or if we volunteered, our involvement included the understanding that we now had 90+ kids.

See, that's why I like all the identical uniforms. First time parents are usually frustrated at their attempts to see Johnny during the 8-11 minute show. You learn quickly when you are on the road that it's not about Johnny. It's about all 90+ kids.

And you get to 90+ kids because at one time 40 kids were very satisfied with their corps' experience. Thanks again, Bob.

I have come up with good, solid date for all of my indicators, save one:

[*]The total attendance at the shows in a given year

I have found some decent allegorical evidence. DCI has announced attendance for some of its shows. It provided press releases in 2006, stating how attendance had gone up that year. But I have yet to see similar releases since that point, or before then.

Does anyone know where I can track down that information? I would like to get the total attendance figures for a season, not just attendance for specific shows, including finals. As well all know, the attendance at specific events can shift tremendously from year to year - especially if the venue changes.

And obviously, information over a significant period of time would help as well. How do we rate total attendance, compared to 10, 20 years ago - when there were significantly more shows?

This is the final criteria I am looking for - so any tips you have would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Is this Index going to be a chart and a spreadsheet?

I certainly hope so.

Yes, I will publish the final results for all the indicators, when I am done. And I will be as fair and impartial as possible.

Mr Jacobs,

Some of the terminology you have been using leads me to believe that you may have been exposed to Lean/Six Sigma methodology and philosophy :sarcasm: or am I mistaken? The reason I ask is that I am a Lean/Six Sigma Master Black Belt and I just finished a refresher course on the Impact Lean/Six Sigma can have on the ROI and ROA for not-for-profit Orgs.

Dean

SEE! THAT'S THE EXACT PROBLEM IN CANADA, PEOPLE ARE JUST SO NEGATIVE ABOUT CORPS ETC. AND "KNOW" CANADIAN KIDS AREN'T INTERESTED IN JOINING A DRUM CORPS. Kids and adults I talk to about drum corps sooner or later say "WOW, I NEVER KNEW YOU DID THAT! I have always believed in two thoughts One. Drum corps is the best activy available to kids with experiences and skills they will gather etc. and second. If the kids in any city or town that has a drum corps TRULY KNEW WHAT DRUM CORPS IS ALL ABOUT, EVERY ONE OF THOSE CORPS WOULD HAVE A WAITING LIST! Perfect example, in summer of '79 I was handed the job of director of the Edmonton All Girls, no-one else wanted it. they were at about 20 girls and a major tour planned for the next summer and girls just weren't interested in the activity anylonger. WE toured the next summer with 75 girls and won two championship shows and in the fall the city flew us to Toronto to represent the city at the Grey Cup activities (Canada's Football Championship), parade and a couple of standstill performances, our average age that year was 13 1/2 yrs. and 58 were rookies, marched 89 girls the next summer. In '88 I returned to Hamilton, Ont. only to find Conqueror II had gone inactive. Got the directors job and following summer marched a parade corps of aprox. 40. This organization is still active today.

As drum corps demonstarted "If it's too good to me true, Sometimes it really IS TRUE!" Share this activity with todays youth, Do what you can when you can.Don't believe these negative people, respect their views but don't let someone else control you life. If your thinking of starting a new corps take a word from NIKE and "JUST DO IT!"

This ends todays sermon.

I agree with you. I didn't mean to come off sounding negative, and I consider myself very optimistic about the prospects of our activity. I never implied that Canadian Kids are not interested. I was trying to provide a realistic view of what I feel can help our activity. Thank you for your service with the Edmonton All-Girls. Btw, they are still around and performing as a Colorguard unit.

With regard to people knowing what Drum Corps is really all about, I agree. That's why I think it is so important for us to properly market ourselves as an activity. People do still enjoy it and think it's a great activity, but they have to KNOW about it.

Absolutely. Growth is driven by Quality of experience. But at the same time, my point remains that it is also important to continually market yourself to make your organization known to the general public. Marketing must play a bigger role than it does in underserved areas, such as Canada, because people don't "get it" here. There is virtually no marching music left in the Country and Drum Corps means even less to most in our region than the term "marching band", which in itself, doesn't really resonate in any communities outside of the greater Calgary area.

This is why I feel that OC corps should be collaborating amongst themselves to improve the image of the brand, and also supporting each other in marketing their organizations within their respective communities. You are right, it is not DCI's responsibility to build our individual organizations. They do what they can to assist as many units as they can, but are themselves working with limited resources.

Points taken. I agree that there is far too much focus on competition and not enough on our purpose, which is providing a great quality experience and educating our youth.

Mr. Jacobs:

Your statements echo everything I've ever understood about drum corps recruiting. Sure, a good staff is important, but members bring potential members. That's the most effective recruiting tool a corps has...satisfied members. Also, if there are satisfied parents to go with this equation, they help ease the initial concerns of new parents and help them find a way to be involved. The best examples of drum corps I have witnessed have had excellent and WELL MANAGED parent involvement...sometimes even extended family involvement.

The key here is the well managed part. I remember one of the first parents meeting we went to. The corps director described some of the volunteer opportunities and explained a parent's association with the corps as follows. It was about how fans watch their kid and volunteers need to treat every corps member as their kid. The choice was ours...we could be fans, or if we volunteered, our involvement included the understanding that we now had 90+ kids.

See, that's why I like all the identical uniforms. First time parents are usually frustrated at their attempts to see Johnny during the 8-11 minute show. You learn quickly when you are on the road that it's not about Johnny. It's about all 90+ kids.

And you get to 90+ kids because at one time 40 kids were very satisfied with their corps' experience. Thanks again, Bob.

Yes, Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

Edited by Canadacorps