1975 Oakland Crusaders

I was watching 75 finals today and noticed the Oakland Crusaders stand out with their music. Music that has been rehashed by many corps. They were good and looked really young for a finals corps placing as high as they did. At one point there is a cymbal player who I would swear to God himself, that the kid is 10 years old at most. Any info on this corps. Anybody from that era remember much? Oh yeah, great sounding drums too. Like reall snares and bass drums with clarity and depth.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a lady who posts quite often on the old time drum corps post in the historical DCI forum. This was my 1st year and not having any favorites going in, fell in love with this corps. There are many others here who could do a much better job filling in a bit of history. I do know this a merger of a few other corps. There DM, Joelle (sp?) was quite infamous in the day.

funny thing,,, alot of "open class" (now known as world class) corps of that 'era' were local grown kids,, brought of the streets and a horn, drum, whatever put in their hand,, and taught,, by staff and members to play, march, etc. Ages then,, not out of the realm of possiblility for members to be young as 10,, although I do believe that 14 was the lower age for most corps. You see,, that's what makes 'those' corps so darn exciting,, realizing that some of those kids are not just rookie to the corps,, but,, rookie to the instrument, the movement itself, and being a rookie like that,,, being able to perform to the level they did. Now, couple that with the FACT that Ontario Canada corps do not, have not never had california weather ie,, summer all year long, and you got an exciting product. The big guys,did not do the corps camps in nice clime,, they grabbed the time when they could..

All in all... it was an extremely exciting ride for the kids,,, could you imagine,, being 14 (and some 12) and marching in DCI finals??? Street kids,, from toronto and area.. playing valve rotor bugles, actually marching (hehe,, high leg) throughout an entire show,,,

sigh,, i remember it well... i wish my own daughter could experience the same thing,,,

back to bah hum bugging the new drum and bugle band movement.... (all hail marching synth drum kits) LOL

oh, forgot,,, Joel Alayne (?) is still kicking,, met him in Simcoe Ontario, he was conducting the Del Oaklands stage band at the "the Bands Played On" in door alumni concert in June. What a dynamic DM he was then,,, i think half the fans watched him perform during Oaklands shows LOL... ahhhhh memories,,,,

Just an aside.... A group of us from one of the original corps (Etobicoke Crusaders) are looking at holding a 40th year reunion to commemorate our first season of competition in 1970. Once I get the details, I will post a separate post. We are looking for members of ECDC from 1969 - 1974.

If I don't have your email or Facebook information, please PM me.

Thanks!

Cathy (Johnson) Walker

Look up "competitive drum corps" on youtube and the 1st video that should pop up is an documentary on the Santa Clara Vanguard, circa 1973. In it Gail Royer states, "You don't need to know how to play an instrument or how to march. We will teach you." An amazing statement from the corps director who's corps went on to when DCI that year. Imagine that happening today with any of the world class corps. Not a negative comment on today, just a fact.

Here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wkv6UUmdZE

Edited by steelcityrabbit

Just an aside.... A group of us from one of the original corps (Etobicoke Crusaders) are looking at holding a 40th year reunion to commemorate our first season of competition in 1970. Once I get the details, I will post a separate post. We are looking for members of ECDC from 1969 - 1974.

Cathy (Johnson) Walker

Cathy, Etobicoke had some really fine corps prior to the De La Salle merger.

I remember watching you (Etobicoke Crusaders) guys do a run through before U.S. Open in 1972, and I "judged" the hornline.

You were one of the top Class 'A' corps in North America those years.

Now after viewing the 76 version, I would have to say you guys were "underscored" to be polite. Your music is awesome and very enjoyable. Don't know where the scores fell through, but I personally had you higher than the green shirts back in the day.

Now after viewing the 76 version, I would have to say you guys were "underscored" to be polite. Your music is awesome and very enjoyable. Don't know where the scores fell through, but I personally had you higher than the green shirts back in the day.

Heh, but the corps made finals. Should have been around in 77 when we didn't, or 78 for that matter.

Regards,

John