How come I never see this?

En929

Replying to Coathope

Q: Very true. Would you say seeing an orchestra and seeing a rock band is a concert? There are different styles of music being played and the audience expects such and such music. Would you tell an orchestra to play something with bop?

A: Absolutely!! Orchestras HAVE played bop and guess what, it rocked!! Hmm I can’t think of the groups off of the top of my head, but some rap groups did this (I think it was Eminem, Jay Z or somebody) and many others in and outside of rap. And yes, orchestra concerts, rock bands concerts, drum corps shows, they’re all concert types!

Q: I assumed you read the rest of this thread. To play such hits from artists like the ones you mentioned, the rights to perform would have to be bought at a much higher price than say something from Ticheli simply because of the music industry. There are also pay-per-performance fees which would require you, the audience, to pay considerably more because one corps at the show is playing an arrangement of, for example, Superstition. You would have to pay more than you pay to see a drum corps show of today.

A: I don’t know what they did in the 80s, but they seemed to have had bop music back then and I don’t know what all some current corps do to secure rights to play such music, but some manage to do so. Maybe there should be a specific person in DCI handling that..I don't know. But anyway, I’ve already answered in this thread that if there are copyright issues with including bop music, then MAKE IT UP! I’ve done that at some of my own concerts, and it rocked!!

Q: No one's arguing that really. Just the logistics of using said bop music.

A: It’s LOGICAL!!

Bottom line: I will believe and continue to believe that more grooving music mixed in between regular drum corps music will add more dimension to drum corps. I’ve seen the results of that already and am just sharing it. A little bop can bring the house down. And like I said, drum corps will continue to entertain. But, bop'll work! Bop played right will work anywhere!

Edited by En929

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, drum corps should keep doing what they do best, but just add a little more bop.

I'll just add this ... if I were a battery player and I was considering auditioning for a corps playing a lineup of, say, 70s funk horn bands, I'd probably audition someplace else. I'd have no interest in keeping 2&4 for a drum corps.

"

bop

n.

A post-World War II style of jazz characterized by rhythmic and harmonic complexity, improvised solo performances, and a brilliant style of execution.

intr.v. bopped, bop·ping, bops

1. To dance or move to the beat of this music.

2. Slang To go: bopped off to the movies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[short for bebop.]

"

Bop doesn't mean what you are using it to mean. Groove is fine, bop is a very specific term which doesn't refer to what you are trying to refer to.

That being said, the idea of trying to get a drum corps to have similar qualities in performance as an orchestra accompanying Eminem is just something I don't ever want to see. I don't even want to see the orchestra accompanying Eminem, because I don't want to see Eminem. I'm sure that a lot of people like him, and Jay-Z, and hiphop in general, but I'm not one of them.

If what you mean is that we need more shows with a groove section in them, like 2000 Cavies had, then I might agree, because that was great. However, I think diversity is important, and if every corps show peaked with a big groove section, it would get old really quick.

If what you mean is that we need more shows that actually contain hip-hop/r&b/funk/rock songs, well I just disagree. I don't think that would attract more fans, and I don't think that most of the current fans want to see it.

Personally, I don't care about recruiting more fans from the general public, and I don't understand why some people keep talking about how doing this is so important. I want the activity to become more accepted as a serious art-form, and therefore want to recruit fans from the educated. I do realize that this is my opinion and it may not be popular.

Q: Very true. Would you say seeing an orchestra and seeing a rock band is a concert? There are different styles of music being played and the audience expects such and such music. Would you tell an orchestra to play something with bop?

A: Absolutely!! Orchestras HAVE played bop and guess what, it rocked!! Hmm I can’t think of the groups off of the top of my head, but some rap groups did this (I think it was Eminem, Jay Z or somebody) and many others in and outside of rap. And yes, orchestra concerts, rock bands concerts, drum corps shows, they’re all concert types!

Q: I assumed you read the rest of this thread. To play such hits from artists like the ones you mentioned, the rights to perform would have to be bought at a much higher price than say something from Ticheli simply because of the music industry. There are also pay-per-performance fees which would require you, the audience, to pay considerably more because one corps at the show is playing an arrangement of, for example, Superstition. You would have to pay more than you pay to see a drum corps show of today.

A: I don’t know what they did in the 80s, but they seemed to have had bop music back then and I don’t know what all some current corps do to secure rights to play such music, but some manage to do so. Maybe there should be a specific person in DCI handling that..I don't know. But anyway, I’ve already answered in this thread that if there are copyright issues with including bop music, then MAKE IT UP! I’ve done that at some of my own concerts, and it rocked!!

Q: No one's arguing that really. Just the logistics of using said bop music.

A: It’s LOGICAL!!

Bottom line: I will believe and continue to believe that more grooving music mixed in between regular drum corps music will add more dimension to drum corps. I’ve seen the results of that already and am just sharing it. A little bop can bring the house down. And like I said, drum corps will continue to entertain. But, bop'll work! Bop played right will work anywhere!

(If the mods delete it, it's a link to the Cavies' playing "Thriller" for their encore. If so, count me out.

One more Q and A:

Q: Bop doesn't mean what you are using it to mean. Groove is fine, bop is a very specific term which doesn't refer to what you are trying to refer to.

A: I already know that. But um, I like calling groove “bop.” That’s the term I chose. So, that’s what I call it!

Q: I don't even want to see the orchestra accompanying Eminem, because I don't want to see Eminem. I'm sure that a lot of people like him, and Jay-Z, and hiphop in general, but I'm not one of them.

A: I enjoy listening to all of those: Eminem, Jay Z, DJ Khalid, etc. I’m not saying that I want to see drum corps become a rap venue or anything (but it would still be interesting to see a show on a rap theme. For example, I could see Blue Devils or Bluecoats doing such a show).

Q: Is this what you want? (If the mods delete it, it's a link to the Cavies' playing "Thriller" for their encore. If so, count me out.

A: lol I actually thought that was a pretty good link. I especially like the loud brass opening to Thriller that was in there. Yeah, more that stuff. I never said the entire show has to be a bop show, I’m just saying INCORPORATE more of it.

Q: I'll just add this ... if I were a battery player and I was considering auditioning for a corps playing a lineup of, say, 70s funk horn bands, I'd probably audition someplace else. I'd have no interest in keeping 2&4 for a drum corps.

A: That’s ok, to each and their own. But there are many who would love be a part of something like that. I remember after one of my concerts (with a drumline, etc.) a concert that had this very music that I’m talking about where we played Ini Kamoze (with Hopstepper), we played a big brassy sounding Star Wars, and Chicago, OMG the crowd LOOOOVED it!!! We got a HUGE standing ovation; they loved the drumline, colors, and flags with it and everything. So that’s how I know what I’m saying is true! The next year when I auditioned, you should have seen those kids FIGHTING to get into my ensemble. And that was like a drum corps activity. People in the neighborhood where I work hardly get to see things like that. Many people who weren’t even into Marching band and drum corps loved my show and that’s my way of bringing people to drum corps. I know what I’m talking about!!!

Conclusion: This may be my last post on this subject. My opinion hasn’t changed. I will always think that a little bop in drum corps especially if it’s written, arranged, and performed correctly IT WILL bring the house down. That doesn’t mean that the activity has to change completely! You guys can continue to debate this, on whether bop should be added to drum corps or not, and debate on all that I said, but I’m done. You could scroll back through this thread to see the things that I said. I just wanted to put this idea out. Thank you very much, thanks for listening, and thanks for posting!

Edited by En929

I am of the opinion that a good drum corps can perform ANY STYLE of music, and be a success. That is, if success is defined as "entertaining the fans." I have been thoroughly entertained by many corps thru the years, who have performed jazz, pop, rock, classical, show tunes, patriotic music, country western, TV themes, original scores,...you name it.

Now, if you want to win....that's another story indeed. If "your corps" doesn't play selections that fit in with what the "in-crowd" of creative staffs and the current judging panels believe is "the direction the activity needs to take", you will not win.

Case in point. Two examples of songs that, when they first were made public, I suggested would make great drum corps tunes. Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Funeral For A Friend" by Elton John. In 1976-77-78-79 I suggested these songs to various drum corps people who shall remain nameless. But, understand, these were "shakers and movers" in the activity.

The responses I got amounted to, "That kind of music just doesn't belong in drum corps." And, "It would never work. The judges wouldn't like it."

Lo and behold, MANY corps thru the years have played "Bohemian Rhapsody" and this year the Renegades opener was "Funeral For A Friend". They did a fine job with it. So, for you nay-sayers thirty years ago... :ph34r:

Here's a challenge. I throw down the gauntlet to any corps who would DARE to do a production from one of the most popular pieces of music in the last thirty five years......

"Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd

One more Q and A:

Q: Bop doesn't mean what you are using it to mean. Groove is fine, bop is a very specific term which doesn't refer to what you are trying to refer to.

A: I already know that. But um, I like calling groove “bop.” That’s the term I chose. So, that’s what I call it!

I realize that you probably know what it really means, but I reject the premise that individuals have the right to change the definition of a word, and use it however they choose to. If you say groove people immediately understand you. If you say bop, people might believe that you are using the word with its real definition and actually misunderstand what you are attempting to say.

It is admittedly a petty point, but a pet peeve of mine. People will take you more seriously if you are well spoken.

On a related note, I don't think Dark Side of the Moon would work at all. One of my all time favorites, but without words there isn't a whole lot going on musically. Not to mention that the album would essentially be a 40 minute ballad; not exactly exciting. Now Karn Evil 9, that could be amazing!

On a related note, I don't think Dark Side of the Moon would work at all. One of my all time favorites, but without words there isn't a whole lot going on musically. Not to mention that the album would essentially be a 40 minute ballad; not exactly exciting. Now Karn Evil 9, that could be amazing!

Have you heard the London Philharmonic Orchestra play it? Off topic yes, and I'd rather not see/hear a drum corps attempt it, but it sounds pretty cool.

I realize that you probably know what it really means, but I reject the premise that individuals have the right to change the definition of a word, and use it however they choose to. If you say groove people immediately understand you. If you say bop, people might believe that you are using the word with its real definition and actually misunderstand what you are attempting to say.

I completely agree, it's annoying when people knowingly say the wrong thing because they choose to incorrectly use a word or expression.

Edited by Abbevillekid26

Have you heard the London Philharmonic Orchestra play it? Off topic yes, and I'd rather not see/hear a drum corps attempt it, but it sounds pretty cool.

No, but now I desperately want to. Have you heard Karn Evil 9? That might work!

To En929: If you like calling "groove" "Bop", how about If I call Jazz classical? After all they are both really old forms of music right?

Can I also call cats dogs? They both are animals, and have tails.

The problem with calling things whatever you feel like, is people will soon have no idea what you are talking about, and that makes it hard to share your ideas.

Oh, and that is the squarest version I have heard of "Thriller" since '80s pep band!