Finally, DCI Acknowledges "Issues" At LOS

THEN:

QUOTE (Dan Acheson @ Drum Corps World, Dec. 2008)

"I would imagine there has not been, nor will there ever be, a sports facility constructed with so much concern regarding acoustics. Because of this attention and the importance of marching bands and drum corps to the city of Indianapolis and the Lucas Oil Stadium management, much has been considered and implemented in the design and construction of the building. . . .

Many folks have already provided constructive input on the Lucas Oil Stadium acoustics, as quite a few of them work with the bands here in Indiana. Ultimately, we are confident the expectations of the fans and the corps regarding the championship stage will be met."

NOW:

“Moving forward we know that the quality of sound inside the arena is a top priority for everyone,” said DCI Director of Marketing Bob Jacobs. “We’re working to address all of the issues related to the quality of the listing experience from many different angles simultaneously. We're engaging top experts in the world of commercial sound and the recording industries, some of whom also possess a strong background in the unique requirements and opportunities created by our elite units."

Has anyone been in a domed stadium that didn't suck? Curious minds want to know.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So this survey they are sending out...this is if you bought tickets directly from them, right? Not if you bought them at the stadium? I bought mine at the stadium.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=a...40-16613fd216f8

I like this spin:

“Unlike previous seasons where we were ‘one and done’ in a Championships venue, we now have the incredible opportunity to return to Lucas Oil Stadium for several years. We can build on the lessons we’ve learned and continue to refine our operation to ensure an incredible World Championships experience for everyone,” said Kuehnhold.

The problems represent an Incredible Opportunity... why didn't I think of that???

I think they are beginning an effort which addresses the fans' concerns. It is only 30 days after finals. I think that's pretty good reaction time considering the next finals is 11 months away.

And they talk about bringing in all these experts to help them solve the sound issues in the Oil Can when these issues were supposed to have been considered/addressed already in the orginal design of the stadium. Sure hope it is the stadium and city of Indianapolis who are footing the bill for all these consultants and experts. If it is going to be DCI spending the money I pay for tickets to shows, I would vote that they send this money to the corps who need it instead and simply move finals to an OPEN stadium that doesn't have these problems.

Sure sounds like they are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole by shaving off the edges of the square peg (that being the paying fans).

my understanding is the sound issues were part of the contractual obligation. I believe there were out clauses for DCI if the sound did not measure up. I would assume this is the Stadium Authority addressing the sound issues.

Has anyone been in a domed stadium that didn't suck? Curious minds want to know.

No. Which is why many people warned that the acoustics would suck. They were right.

And that locking championships into a stadium that wasn't even built yet (!), for 10 years, was a bad idea. We'll know how right the decision was in a year or two.

If attendance stays constant for the next two years, DCI will be OK. But if attendance declines materially, DCI is going to have big problems in years 5-10 of the contract. We'll soon learn how well DCI really knows its audience.

If DCI is locked into a contract now, there are bigger morons than I had thought and clearly don’t know how to negotiate a contract, clearly.

Let’s just stop pretending this stadium is fixable, its not. LOS failed to be ready on time and failed to install all the acoustic bafflers they had promised, why would DCI give them another chance to make good? They are 0 for 2 or 22% of the contracted time at the stadium has been a failure

I’m from Chicago and when I see folks clinging this hard to stick with an obviously bogus deal it means one of two things – they are in over their head and already screwed up and trying to cover up the fact they failed or they are being greased. I would not be surprised if this botched deal has been economically good for DCI yet, I have see no evidence of this as a fan or from the corps. Did they get to pocket a free year of stadium rental or perhaps 2 from 2008 screw up? If DCI knows how to write a contract, they should have had LOS pay for the stadium at Bloomington and give them a year (at least) free at LOS.

I’m really disappointed in DCI. No, I’m disgusted. The week after finals I sent a note to my Friends of DCI representative and I’ve heard nothing back. It’s an absolute failure on their part. My personal dealings with DCI shows me their true level of professionalism which is bush league

DCI is not "locked into" any contract. There were out clauses based on the ...wait for it....acoustics.

So, this is an effort to retain DCI as a client. My guess is the Stadium Authority is working with two specific groups who bring in tons of potential tourism dollars. Just a hunch.

DCI is not "locked into" any contract. There were out clauses based on the ...wait for it....acoustics.

So, this is an effort to retain DCI as a client. My guess is the Stadium Authority is working with two specific groups who bring in tons of potential tourism dollars. Just a hunch.

so is that first part just a hunch too or do you know for a fact that there are out clauses?

because if they have an out clause and don't take it....

I spent 3 days in that dump...the sound is the worst of the problems (and is not fixable) but it has many other problems too

Received the DCI Survey via email today. They cover all of the problems of LOS. But not the use of electronic brass enhancement.

I heard from a certain high-ranking director that DCI is able to get out of the stadium sooner if attendance continues to decline. However, I'm sure DCI will get this whole in-door stadium thing figured out. I for one know that it is a rather nice thing to have if a corps has to perform early in the day (e.g. Open Class corps and lower ranking World Class corps) and I hope that these "Sound-technicians" manage to wrap their heads around this problem and if they can't then that just means we might be getting out of the stadium sooner then expected. I can't imagine they won't, and its not like other domes are as bad as LOS (e.g. Alamo-dome, Georgia dome).