Finally, DCI Acknowledges "Issues" At LOS

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they should get Microsoft to consult on the stadium improvements...

That will never work. Finals will freeze in the middle of Phantom and they'll need to Restart the whole show :tongue: .

Rest assured, folks...the people on DCP can, and will, ALWAYS find something to complain about.

Dawt.

I'm tired of this type of response. I (as did many people) spent a significant amount of money on that championship experience. I've continually lowered my expectations of DCI over the decades, and currently (and reluctantly) invest my money solely in support of my son who is a marching member. That is not to say that I hang around drum corps simply to receive something that I've paid for, as like many of you, I continually volunteer and support the individuals and organizations that I have access to annually. However, I have a family of 5, and also brought along his 2 grandparents to LOS this year (their first exposure to a DCI event... they were unimpressed and left early), very costly, and it was without question the worst experience I've had in my 27 years of drum corps. To suggest that a paying customer should have no expectation of (or right to) an advertised experience is out of line, particularly at these prices.

Secondly, I'm also tired of the rhetoric about all this being for the "kids" in this activity. There are very few "kids" participating at the world class level. Furthermore, if DCI were concerned about serving kids, it would be actively and genuinely engaged in real efforts to grow the activity in a true sense of service to youth, rather than being all about serving just its member corps. My point is that DCI is nothing more than a business that relies on customers to sustain itself, and it's clear that the decisions made by the business have created a variety of concerns for many of its customers.

Further, many people believe that DCI intentionally turned away from its historically loyal fan base to target a new audience that would be more receptive to a controversial agenda advocated by a select few members of the DCI Board of Directors. They aggressively pursued that agenda, ultimately achieved it, and continue the same centrically motivated decision making processes, all with no apology to those that questioned and cautioned its decision making from the beginning.

Since I no longer receive the kind of value exchange for my involvement (and dollars) today as I did years ago, I'm left only with an expectation of receiving what has been advertised and paid for, and the 2009 LOS DCI experience wasn't it. For anyone to criticize a patron of this circuit for expressing their displeasure of the world championships event (for completely legitimate reasons), simply exposes themelves to be someone that refuses to accept reasonable concerns of people that care about this activity.

OK. But express your concerns (I'm sure you have.) to DCI. The problem here is DCI is coming out...saying there were big issues and appears to be working with fans to address them. How much more of a mea culpa do people want? Should they grovel? Should Sue begin posting an official apology thread on DCP everyday for a month?

I mean people have beat up DCI for a month now in at least three different threads. Now, DCI is letting the drum corps "world" know they have put together a survey and sent it to those people who purchased tickets for finals week events.

So, it's all nice and all that we know you and your family spent lots of money and didn't have a good time. But, I'm not DCI and frankly I only care that your concerns are being addressed. I just want my DVDs for 2009 and a better experience in 2010 when I go to finals. See, it's all about me now. I'm a 2010 audience member and I thank each and every one of you who took part in this R&D project on my behalf. I can't wait for DCI Finals v2.0. Again. Thanks.

Would someone mind posting the survey questions w/response options for us curious folks out here who didn't get the email?

If you didn't buy tickets from DCI why should you get a voice in the survey? I smell pollution of what appears to be a sincere attempt to address the concerns the actual paid audience had.

If you didn't buy tickets from DCI why should you get a voice in the survey? I smell pollution of what appears to be a sincere attempt to address the concerns the actual paid audience had.

I think they just wanted to know what DCI was asking, they weren't asking for a vote in the issue. At least it seemed that way to me.

I am not sold.

Acoustics were supposed to be considered in the stadium design.

Why even take a chance on another year of consideration over an issue that was not even supposed to happen? What are they going to do differently in terms of 2010?

And fans buying premium seats and sitting in front of the 20s is inexcusable. That is just plain inept decision making on the part of DCI.

I am not going to finals in 2010. I will not be sold on corporate propaganda and on the same promise that already fell through.

Is this rocket science?

That will never work. Finals will freeze in the middle of Phantom and they'll need to Restart the whole show :tongue: .

Well, then, we could just move finals to Boise State. The "Blue Screen of Death" is already in place!

:tongue:

Garry in Vegas

Rest assured, folks...the people on DCP can, and will, ALWAYS find something to complain about.

..and in turn get complained about.

Yes, we see some repetition in subjects that quickly become *****fests. But there are also some good discussions that get characterized as "complaining", and those that complain about the complaining are legion, too.

I won't be able to participate in the survey because I was not able to attend finals. If I had, however, I would be happy to provide feedback to DCI, hopefully constructive in nature.

There is a certain amount of "we told you so" posts since finals, and those opinions are just as "right" as the defend-DCI-at-any-cost posters'.

We knew there would be a problem with acoustics in an indoor venue, because we've experienced it before. We knew there would be a problem with amplification and electronics because we've experienced it before.

I'm glad DCI is being responsive, and I really do hope they find a solution. But if that solution is to abandon LOS for a better venue, then so be it. If the solution to overpowering electronic sound production is a reversal of the rule implementing them, so be it. But we also know that it's rare for DCI to ever reverse itself on a rule change.

My gut feeling is that LOS is going to become the new Miami, or the new Jackson. The only difference is that they didn't have a long-term contract with either of those locations, and they've never been back.

Anyway, I encourage everyone who gets a chance to participate in the survey to do it. Give them your feedback, positive and negative.

Garry in Vegas