Finally, DCI Acknowledges "Issues" At LOS

As for Berkeley, my son is going to school there, so I was up there dropping him off at the end of August. Talk about harsh weather, highs in the mid '70s, sunny with a slight breeze... wish I could have it that harsh where I live!

I haven't been in the stadium yet, will be up there for parents weekend and the SC game. From what I recall, it is a bowl with bleacher seating and artificial turf. Built right on top of an earthquake fault too (for all you seismophobes). I know for a fact that there is NO parking anywhere near the stadium either, so I don't think anyone would consider holding a drum corps contest there.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a look at the makeup of the Board in 2006, when this decision was made: only 2 California corps on the Board. By contrast, there were 5 Midwest corps. So where they did decide to place finals? In the Midwest. The region of the country which had the most representatives is the place where finals was "permanently" located. I am not a conspiracy-theory freak, but I can do simple math.

So why did the Midwestern corps directors decide to "permanently" place Finals in their own backyard? I can only think of one reason: it gives the Midwestern corps a strategic advantage. Remember, these corps directors are motivated by one thing, and one thing only: strategic self-advantage.

No. Two coincidental factors that occur in sequence do not establish causation. The only strategic self-advantage that the seven midwestern and two eastern corps were concerned with in picking Indy was the financial one-- the cost of travel to finals and back. Not placement. I think the corps have more awareness of DCI history than to think that having finals close to home gives them a scoring advantage. Again, it's been west coast and east corps that have dominated the championships that have been held in the midwest.

The location of Finals has zilch to do with how a corps places. Corps directors are motivated by high levels of performance. A corps that's well prepared can do that anywhere and probably relish the challenge. And I'm sure the judges would expect nothing less.

Do you understand that Concord and the Rose Bowl are worlds apart geographically?

oldschool, here's some Simple Math for you:

distance from Concord (and approximately Santa Clara) to Pasadena, where the Rose Bowl is: 372 miles

distance from Boston to Allentown, across four intervening states: 308 miles

The point: being in SoCal is not a home field advantage to NorCal corps.

As for Berkeley, my son is going to school there, so I was up there dropping him off at the end of August. Talk about harsh weather, highs in the mid '70s, sunny with a slight breeze... wish I could have it that harsh where I live!

Congratulations on your son getting into Cal. The weather is quite often as you describe -- perfect. But the campus, on a hillside, faces San Francisco Bay. On many a summer evening, the warm inland air sucks fog off of the ocean and across San Francisco Bay. Berkeley doesn't always take a direct hit from the fog, but it does feel the strong wind and chilly temperatures. So you can have the beautiful weather you describe or the rogher weather I've depicted. I lived there and loved both conditions. But for those unaccustomed to it (particularly as it is summer), the fog, wind, and cold air can come as a shock and disappointment.

Edited by dmfootworks

and the hole you dig keeps getting bigger and bigger. I am enjoying each and every level of your debate as each becomes less and less plausible.

keep up the good work sir.

Hey, posting in this forum feels more and more like Jimmy Stewart's character in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. I try to point out simple, obvious truths to other people, and they refuse to hear it, or don't want to believe it. They would prefer to live in a world of self-deception.

Some people are simply antagonized by the truth, because it upsets their world view, or undermines their self-image. They cannot accept the truth, because it would necessitate some sort of change in their life and world.

Any institution that is not founded on the Truth cannot survive. And I really fear for the future of drum corps, the institution that I love. Until people accept that there are real, serious, endemic problems with this institution, then the problems are not going to be fixed. Bottom line.

Mr. Smith refused to give up, because he valued the Truth above all else - including his own popularity and personal interests. Mr. Smith didn't quit, and neither will I.

Hey, posting in this forum feels more and more like Jimmy Stewart's character in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. I try to point out simple, obvious truths to other people, and they refuse to hear it, or don't want to believe it. They would prefer to live in a world of self-deception.

Some people are simply antagonized by the truth, because it upsets their world view, or undermines their self-image. They cannot accept the truth, because it would necessitate some sort of change in their life and world.

Any institution that is not founded on the Truth cannot survive. And I really fear for the future of drum corps, the institution that I love. Until people accept that there are real, serious, endemic problems with this institution, then the problems are not going to be fixed. Bottom line.

Mr. Smith refused to give up, because he valued the Truth above all else - including his own popularity and personal interests. Mr. Smith didn't quit, and neither will I.

It would help if you actually OFFERED some truth instead of conspiracy theories...

what I think is interesting is that this "truth" you've come up with is just a mish mash of your opinions...

"University of Texas stadium in Austin is an ideal location for regionals instead of San Antonio."

Then when you are given facts...logisitics and weather facts...making your proposal less than "ideal" you simply go blank and try to shift the focus of your argument. I appreciate your opinions from a potential "fans" point of view. I can name hundreds, if not thousands of stadiums ideal from a fan's standpoint. The real issues is can corps logistically make the location work. Because if they can't...no show.

But, it's nice to know someone on DCP has all the truth. That is so welcome on here. It is an awesome responsibility however. Like when someone says that because DCI had finals in California in 2007, they "handed the championship to the Blue Devils." See, that's when your "truth" becomes quite hazy. So, please stick to your thruth.

These are my public comments. My less flattering ones will come in the form of a PM to you. I hope you are looking forward to it.

Now I'm really confused.

Are you Mr. Smith, or God? (I was thinking Mr. Smith until I saw those capital "T" truths... er, Truths).

:rolleyes::smile::wub: OK, now I know you're kidding.

"oldschool, I served with Mr. Smith. I knew Mr. Smith. Mr. Smith was a friend of mine. oldschool, you're no Mr. Smith."

:rolleyes::smile::wub: OK, now I know you're kidding.

Actually, I am as serious as I can be. I am not joking.

Perhaps my perspective on the situation in drum corps is a little bit different, than everyone else's.

My last year of marching was 1983. After that, I followed drum corps peripherally - life got in the way. Much of that time was spent out of the country. I would watch and attend a few shows, and bring my family as well. But I really didn't follow what was going on in this activity - or going wrong.

I return last year, when my son starts marching (he's 16 now.) What I see is appalling. The institution has sadly deteriorated over the past quarter-century. There are hundreds fewer corps, than when I marched, and thousands fewer people have an opportunity to march. Costs have skyrocketed, making it impossible for many youths to participate in this activity. The product on the field has drifted away from its roots, to the point it is almost unrecognizable today. Power is increasingly centralized in the hands of a few individuals, who appear to be acting solely out of cynical self-interest. Public interest, funding and support appears to be waning as well. (The decision to move finals permanently to LOS is really just a symptom of many of these other problems.)

But perhaps most disturbingly, there appears to be a blithe indifference to the problems in this institution. Many of the people who work in this profession appear to be indifferent to its plight. Perhaps they simple want to preserve the status quo - or maybe they are living in a state of denial.

Maybe these problems are obvious to me, because I am on the outside, looking in. If I had gone to work in this institution 26 years ago, I might be blinded to them as well. But to me, they are crystal-clear. Actually, instead of Mr. Smith, I feel like John The Savage, from Brave New World. He was aware of the insane world around him - but everyone thought he was insane.

These problems are real, and have to be fixed, before they get worse. Eventually, the situation may become irreparable, but we are not there yet. They change has to start now.

Change number 1: the organizational hierarchy of DCI has got to go. The current model of "self-governance" is simply not working. The current BoD should be replaced, with a new board made up entirely of outsiders. They should be impartial individuals, with no loyalties to any member corps. It should be made up of competent individuals with backgrounds in marketing, promotion and finance. Their task should be to make decisions based solely on the good of drum corps in general. (If this change had been made 5 years ago, this LOS deal never would have been made.)