What is with members who have marched Colts?

With the exciting conclusion to this season for the fight for the coveted twelfth spot for the 2009 DCI finals i have heard members of the Colts say "I hate the Troopers." This isn't a big deal, an opinion is an opinion and they were edged out by the Troopers so i believe it. When you are in the top 12 you usually have a target on your back. When asked why they hate the Troopers here is one of the responses i've heard "DCI politics is what put them into finals and they didn't beat us fair and square." Now there is my problem.

Even if it is one person that said it this politics statement it sounds completely ridiculous. If that is what the members think in the Colts i feel it makes it an undesirable place to march or support. If the reason for their season is to make finals then they might have a pretty hard season full of disappointment, and it isn't just the Colts, i feel that in the modern drum corps activity it is a challenge to make finals. Some corps have a lot of help on their sides, older more experienced members, show design, etc. but i feel that politics shouldn't be an excuse for not making the cut. If the whole reason for your season is competitive success then what is the point in marching a corps that isn't usually there? Why would anyone try out for anyone below the top 6?

I believe that politics is the reason that people say when they don't want to look within their own organization to place blame for something happening, in this case placement for the colts, but it can be applied to any situation in DCI... BD won, it must be politics why Crown or Cadets or Cavies didn't win...

This leads to an actual discussion point, Is it really acceptable for any members in any corps to believe that politics is the reason that something happened?

and to go further is it acceptable for staff and administration to openly say these things in front of members?

To quote someone i don't remember who said it: "You cannot leave a doubt in anyone's mind, the judges, the fans, and yourselves. When you leave a doubt it is easier for people to disregard the stuff that you are accomplishing."

I haven't heard or seen anything like this. I don't think it is happening.

This type of thread seems as though it is designed to generate controversy. Colts people that I am familiar with are classy people one and all and have had nothing but good things to say about Troop's show this year.

In short, don't rise to take the bait that this thread is putting forth.

With the exciting conclusion to this season for the fight for the coveted twelfth spot for the 2009 DCI finals i have heard members of the Colts say "I hate the Troopers." This isn't a big deal, an opinion is an opinion and they were edged out by the Troopers so i believe it. When you are in the top 12 you usually have a target on your back. When asked why they hate the Troopers here is one of the responses i've heard "DCI politics is what put them into finals and they didn't beat us fair and square." Now there is my problem.

Even if it is one person that said it this politics statement it sounds completely ridiculous. If that is what the members think in the Colts i feel it makes it an undesirable place to march or support. If the reason for their season is to make finals then they might have a pretty hard season full of disappointment, and it isn't just the Colts, i feel that in the modern drum corps activity it is a challenge to make finals. Some corps have a lot of help on their sides, older more experienced members, show design, etc. but i feel that politics shouldn't be an excuse for not making the cut. If the whole reason for your season is competitive success then what is the point in marching a corps that isn't usually there? Why would anyone try out for anyone below the top 6?

I believe that politics is the reason that people say when they don't want to look within their own organization to place blame for something happening, in this case placement for the colts, but it can be applied to any situation in DCI... BD won, it must be politics why Crown or Cadets or Cavies didn't win...

This leads to an actual discussion point, Is it really acceptable for any members in any corps to believe that politics is the reason that something happened?

and to go further is it acceptable for staff and administration to openly say these things in front of members?

To quote someone i don't remember who said it: "You cannot leave a doubt in anyone's mind, the judges, the fans, and yourselves. When you leave a doubt it is easier for people to disregard the stuff that you are accomplishing."

I would hope that staff and admin would keep that kind of talk to staff meetings and set a better example of maturity in front of the members than that. As for the members, WTF? Why can't poeple just accept fact. The fact in this case is that the Judges thought Tropers outperformed Colts in Semifinals. All the "conspiracy" or "politics" theories are just an excuse not to look inside yourself and grow to become the performer who comes out on top next time. Geez

Bottom line - "if" this is true

They're kids - that's what they do - and anybody who says otherwise just doesn't remember what they were like when they marched. I was personally offended if anyone ever beat us - and it was always "unfair" and "politics" and "unjust" - and in my teenagers mind that was that

No big deal here - this thread should be closed!

Later,

Mike

FAIL

No big deal here - this thread should be closed!

So it shall be written, so it shall be done.

Unless we can frame the discussion in a way that discusses the topic without resorting to a "I heard this about so and so . . .", it's too easy to cast aspersions towards people/organizations and really take a discussion like this down the wrong path.

Thanks for your understanding. :lle: