Less West Side Story in the future?

Below is a note concerning a change in securing licensing for any Bernstein arrangements

The Leonard Bernstein Office, Inc. will now require that the arrangement respect the melody, rhythm and harmony of the original, and be either of the complete composition or, in arrangements for students, a substantial extract that has a clear beginning and end. They WILL NOT not give permission for medleys or paraphrases.

Boosey & Hawkes will also now require a copy of the finished arrangement before giving approval. If the arrangement does not meet the requirements with respect to the use of the music, the request will be denied. You will, of course, have the option to alter your arrangement to fit their requirements and resubmit, but you will be required to comply with these policies.

I doubt Crown would have been approved nor the Troopers charts if this had been in effect this year. Not sure how they would have felt about Cadets. Will be interesting to see who can get something approved in the future.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the best thing to happen to drum corps since Bb horns.

/sarcasm

Actually I don't think Bernstein ever really minded drum corps using his music, as he must have been asked so many times he must have heard of it.

I may be wrong, but I believe he was all about music education, which drum corps does an excellent job of that.

That being said, I'm sure the Cadets would have gotten approval.

Drum corps loves Bernstein - Bernstein hates drum corps.

Nope.

Bernstein's estate hates liberalism in respect to arrangements. This really blows.

It might be not that big a deal, though. I mean, as far as quotes go, I'm pretty sure most corps and their arrangers just cheat with it. Copyright extends only if 2 bars of the music, melody, counterpoint (really weird with legal interpretation) are used.

Cadets can still quote Maria. :lle:

Yeesh ... Can you would imagine if an edict like this had been handed down from some of the great composers whose copyrights are no longer in force.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Lloyd-Weber, but the Paganini family doesn't feel the "Song and Dance" would be an appropriate adaptation of the concerto, but please feel free to re-arrange the show and submit it back to us for re-evaluation."

Total bollocks.