John (Jack) Pratt

passed on to me:

Dearest Drum Friends,

This note is a request for your most earnest prayers for your drumming brother... my father, John Sterling (Jack) Pratt.

He fell unexpectedly ill on Thursday, September 10th and was admitted to the hospital in the early morning hours on Friday via the Emergency Room. He is being treated in the Intensive Care Unit at the Valley Hospital, 233 North Van Dien Avenue in Ridgewood, New Jersey. His condition is extremely critical.

We remain hopeful and prayerful that God will help to keep him strong so that he can fight and overcome a life-threatening strep infection. Please add him to your Church's Prayer Lists and kindly call or forward this email to other friends of his, whom you know and whose phone numbers and email addresses were not available to me.

Mom and I are spending most of our time from morning to night each day at the hospital, but you may contact us by return email to Dad's email address: DrummerBoyPratt@optimum.net with a copy to JoaniePratt@optimum.net. You may also contact us by phone.

Joan (Jack's wife) at Home: 973-427-4732 or Cell: 551-795-2185

Joanie (Jack's daughter) at Home: 973-949-3233 or Cell: 201-410-2162.

God Bless You and Thank You for Your Love and Friendship!

Rudimentally Yours,

Joanie Pratt

(Jack's Daugher)

our prayers go out for our Hall of Fame brother...

Jack was responsible for so much good in the activity... We pray for a speedy recovery...

he's a great man and a great arranger/instructor. i pray for a recovery.

he's a great man and a great arranger/instructor. i pray for a recovery.

Legendary doesn't even begin to describe this man.

Here is hoping for a speedy recovery.

This is especially shocking to all of us who just saw Jack in Rochester at DCA, that he could fall so gravely ill so soon after. He has been a friend and mentor to so many of us in drum corps.

Our thoughts and prayers are with him, Joan and Joanie, hoping for a full and quick recovery.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Jack and his family. I was with Cabs drum line when Jack assisted George Tuthill. Jack was instrumental in pulling the drum line together in 1972. Everyone who marched in the drum line can remember the grueling drum exercises Jack put us through, particularly in 1972 in Chicago. Jack also wrote the last drum solo in 1972 and has been played by the Alumni corps for many years. I also recall JAck's zany humor which always seemed to break some tense moments. I hope he beats this thing.

Jack is also an English professor and extremely well spoken/written

Truly a talented man who will be able to fight through this

Jack is also an English professor and extremely well spoken/written

Truly a talented man who will be able to fight through this

Yes, I remember him reading literature on long bus rides and even grading papers.

Yes, I remember him reading literature on long bus rides and even grading papers.

I had a few encounters with him a long the way ... A lively character. Also very into comic books.

I recall hearing a story about him watering his lawn from the roof, so the grass would think it was raining.

Here's a to a speedy recovery ...

I spoke with Jack as well on Saturday in Rochester and am saddened to learn of his current plight. Jack holds a special place in my heart as he worked me hard to make Hawthorne's snare line. Even though he did tie my hands to my drum because I was playing too high and even though he never let me forget the time I was late for drum line practice at camp because I needed to finish brushing my teeth..LOL! Jack, I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers and will be happy to donate blood if I am a match.

Vince T. Marchese