Blue Devils' Technique

Ok, so this question has been kind of bugging me for awhile. When I was watching Blue Devils 08 and the 09 encore video, I noticed that at higher tempos(200+?), when moving parallel to the sideline it appeared the brass players were crab-stepping instead of sliding. Does anyone know if they've decided it's more efficient or what?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so this question has been kind of bugging me for awhile. When I was watching Blue Devils 08 and the 09 encore video, I noticed that at higher tempos(200+?), when moving parallel to the sideline it appeared the brass players were crab-stepping instead of sliding. Does anyone know if they've decided it's more efficient or what?

I can only think of one part in each of those shows that did that. I'm pretty sure those were just in there for visual purposes, and only in those spots. Are there others that I'm missing? If not, that's probably the answer.

Notice that they only used in in '09 when the tempo was up to around 236 bpm. When you get going that fast, certain sliding direction changes become #### near impossible unless you've got rockets strapped to your feet.

i'm sure they used it to add visual variety in their repertoire. genius.

i'm sure they used it to add visual variety in their repertoire. genius.

Lol....i think genius is a bit much...but then I'm just guessing that you're joking

Notice that they only used in in '09 when the tempo was up to around 236 bpm. When you get going that fast, certain sliding direction changes become #### near impossible unless you've got rockets strapped to your feet.

236? thats a pretty brisk tempo...

It's because the Blue Devils don't know how to march correctly

haha, nice joke!