SoCal Open Class Corps

no

Oh, it's this thread again...

Here is my take - totally from the outside, so these are based on assumptions and observations:

VK - Probably the "strongest" SoCal Open Class corps. Long history with a strong identity; lots of support from the Drum Corps community. I would not advocate them merging. One concern is their cost - they appear the most expensive OC corps. I also think they need to continue to increase their numbers.

Impulse - Their numbers have declined over the past few years. Identity appears to have waned somewhat. What makes them unique (other than their cool, if a little outdated from overuse, uniform?). Recommend that they merge.

Gold - They are VERY good! Why don't they go to championships? Aren't they associated with a school district? Someone in front of me at a show said that they are basically a high school drum corps - that most members and staff are from the same school. Recommend they merge.

Incognito -Second year out. I am very impressed with their staff and educational approach - their staff and corps watched each performance after theirs together. Seem very young. How are they making it financially? Recommend the merge.

Mystikal - Last year they had some major changes; although stilll identify as "Mystikal from Long Beach , CA" Before this year, their numbers were extremely small. Why don't they just move to Texas? Based on what I've heard their money and resources still mostly come from the Long Beach area. Recommend they merge or move.

*deleted*

Edited by Impuls!vebari

why?

It doesn't make sense.

a) no. of corps at the So. CA shows would be greatly reduced.

b) the number of organizations hosting shows would be greatly reduced (and hosting multiple shows would not be a cost savvy option either).

c) where this neapolitan corps would be based is where the kids would come from... traveling in So. CA is no walk in the park, and it isn't cheap moving equipment around to different locations.

d) Within a year, the number of members would dwindle down to the size it was before the merge due to 'c' and other possible outcomes.

e) using a competitive edge as a basis for such a merger opens up opportunities for stupid decisions... mainly financial ones.

It doesn't make sense to me.

For a number of years, So. CA corps had pulled resources together to promote the shows here as a single consortium, but that number quickly dwindled from as many as 5 or 7 (can't remember) to only 2 (and a half).

I would rather see more smaller groups work at promoting the activity within the region and gain momentum through that then trying to make a single super corps that would only show any remorse of competitiveness maybe for one season, if even that.

Why dont all of the SoCal small Open Class corps merge? They would have a much larger talent base, would not to have to compete for resources, and could be very powerful!

Because if that were all true, the talent base would all have joined the first such corps originally.

Each of these corps is in a different location, has a different show style, has a different time commitment, different tour schedule, different financial obligation, etc. Kids pick these different corps for different reasons. Merge all those corps, and you lose those differences....and with that, you lose some of those kids.

Perhaps a smaller corps could form a limited partnership over a designated period of time with a World class corps like Mandarins or Pacific Crest, to serve in essence as a feeder corps, to accommodate the overflow of membership from the world class corps and gain in other areas of management, finance and so on if those needs exist for the smaller corps. The issue of maintaining identity and styles could be worked out, and with a limited partnership both organizations could be successful.

I think they shouldn't merge but maybe some need to do a much better job with recruitment. The population of drum corps aged kids is huge in SoCal. Some of these corps should focus a bit more on making themselves known around the general community in terms of the scholastic music/guard programs within SoCal. Unfortunately, (not blaming DCP) but so much negativity is spread about groups through internet/word of mouth that it might make people have second thoughts about joining a group.

There is a huge talent pool of kids in SoCal, there can be enough kids to fill those corps. Recruitment, Recruitment, Recruitment.