Mighty St. Joe's entering 20th Season in 2010

"There's a long, long trail a winding....."

Just were or who is MSJWest, I might ask?

Paul

MSJ West is sort of a social outlet for members and ex-members of Mighty St. Joe's Alumni Corps. The "West" portion has to do with the fact that members of this "organization" live West of Rochester. Most are from the Buffalo area and Canada. They get together about once a month for a dinner at a different restaurant each time and it is simply several hours of mayhem and laughter. There are official minutes of each meeting kept by secretary Larry Darch and "Long, Long Trail" was adopted as the official song after too many drinks one night. It should be accompanied by glockenspiel. Can't tell you about the secret salute.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MSJ West is sort of a social outlet for members and ex-members of Mighty St. Joe's Alumni Corps. The "West" portion has to do with the fact that members of this "organization" live West of Rochester. Most are from the Buffalo area and Canada. They get together about once a month for a dinner at a different restaurant each time and it is simply several hours of mayhem and laughter. There are official minutes of each meeting kept by secretary Larry Darch and "Long, Long Trail" was adopted as the official song after too many drinks one night. It should be accompanied by glockenspiel. Can't tell you about the secret salute.

Long, Long, Trail was a WWI song, sung by the doughboys. MSJW uses the chorus. At least that's all I can remember......

There's a long, long trail a-winding

Into the land of my dreams,

Where the nightingales are singing

And a white moon beams:

There's a long, long night of waiting

Until my dreams all come true;

Till the day when I'll be going down

That long, long trail with you.

Aha...thanks for that explanation. I was wondering if I should be looking around out here ( the REAL west ) for

other ex-St.Joe's members :)

Didn't Scout House play "Long, Long Trail" back in the 50's? I seem to recall hearing it on glockenspiel sometime during

my stint with "Father Kelly's Boys" back then.

Say "Hello" to Larry for me at the next get together.

Paul

So Long Trail is out, Memories/Traces in, let's wind up the year next Sunday with a hot practice and even hotter wings and beer, see ya all there, Leroy is buried in snow today but it will be clear the 20th!!!!

Whoa, next Sunday, practice and food, Sully cutting loose on the cash, lets all show up and give him a big smile for Christmas. See ya there!!!!!!!!!

Whoa, next Sunday, practice and food, Sully cutting loose on the cash, lets all show up and give him a big smile for Christmas. See ya there!!!!!!!!!

Had a prelude to the Holiday Season today with Christmas Brass in Buffalo. One more time next Saturday in Rochester before Sunday's rehearsal. Great time today with a little twist - The Brass singing at St Francis'. A special "Thanks" to our friends Beth & Jack for their annual pasta party after the day's events. Sorry you missed it Donny. Hope the van is fixed and you aren't stuck in a snowbank somewhere... See you all next weekend!

Hey are we ready yet for the flag pre, I'm sure it will be on the agenda this Sunday. Sounds great on the site let's put it to the test with 50+ horns. See ya all Sunday, beer and wings to follow, what a draw.

took 36 hours to get to Milwaukee with a good portion of that sitting between Dunkirk and Ripley on the NYS Thruway. Guess I will fly next time.

New music on the website! Great to be back home...

DA

Only 4 more days, if we don't get snowed and frozen out. Let's get ready times a wastin, lets wail this week.