The BD equipment thread

I think you're reading a lot into it. Dynasty is just the marching line of DEG, a company that produces quite a bit else besides marching horns. Having one corps change isn't going to be the end for them any more than Regiment switching from King to Jupiter hurt King.

Could be....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal experience of Dynasty brass post- tour:

the mellos are often deemed "bright" in comparison to other major brands, but if you ask me they're just more "clear." They are by no means French Horns, and will never touch the gorgeous tone that the cavies get with yamahas and IYMs. However, for the sort of literature BD typically plays a lighter, more focused middle voice isn't a downer. My personal opinion is that Phantom's mellos are often more offensively bright than Gmen or BD's. The Dynasty mellos are built like tanks, and the valves can take astonishing amounts of punishment. Where I had to oil my Yamaha 203 every day, my Dynasty horns have gone months with no oil and no noticeable reduction in smoothness or speed.

The trumpets I have no personal experience with, but there was a lot of general complaint about the tone quality, range, bore size, tone quality, mouthpieces, tone quality, and tone quality. There's a laser-beam quality to them that I've heard many euphemisms for- "shimmer" or "sizzle" for example - but for anything besides BD's jazz it isn't ideal.

The Bari's seem serviceable, though they're far heavier than other brands. No one seems to complain too much about them, but nobody gives them any praise either.

Euphs- ugh. Dynasty euphs weigh approximately three metric tons- the heaviest by far- and hand placement is dreadful, worsening the load. This might be forgivable if the horns played well, but they're really just raspy and only marginally successful at beefing up the low end.

Contras- 4/4s- I don't know how much of a judge of contras I can be, but they seemed to break rather a lot. 4/4's were heavy and not as well balanced as yamahas but a better play than kings, if I remember correctly. Easily overblown by larger-lunged members.

5/4s- Those who could handle these things adored them.

at any rate- I'm sort of sad to see BD leave dynasty.... but if it means Glassmen get all of the endorsement love go for it!

Every playing characteristic of the horns you mentioned above is more representative of the player's sound and abilities. The horn itself has none of the characteristics you mention. It only amplifies what is put into it.

If you are a good player, with good tone, and good abilities, you will sound that way on any equipment that is in good condition.

If you suck, well then, you suck...it ain't the horn.

Sure, horns can have certain tendencies which favor a bright or dark sound, but they are not that dramatic. Your individual playing style may have you preferring one type or brand of horn over another, that's fine, doesn't mean the horns you don't like are bad. It only means you don't prefer them.

Sometimes it's popular to bash a certain brand of something because everyone else does it. For awhile, King made the "absolute best" horn, then Kanstul, back in the seventies it was OLDS. Yet plenty of corps got there butts kicked by other corps playing on the horns that were popular to bash at the time.

I know I've tried Kanstul sopranos a couple of times. I don't like them. I don't like them because I prefer something else.

I absolutely love the CONN Vintage One flugelhorn, best flugel I've ever played and I've tried a whole bunch. Lots of people probably don't like it.

I've been in drum corps since 1964 and still play a G bugle, but I've also played trumpet the same amount of time. I don't get complaints when I play drum corps or professionally on the trumpet. Part of that is; I don't blame the horn.

Yes on all counts. In Jr corps, the corps itself owns all the gear (except for things like sticks or mouthpieces). In Sr the members tend to own.

You want the same make in instruments to minimize intonation in differences...same for the battery.

I will agree most Alumni corps are filled with members who own their own horns, the vast majority of the competing All-Aged corps supply horns to their members.

Cabs have a complete line of Yamaha Brass

Bucs, Bush,Brigs, Empire Statesmen, Hucs, and Minnesota Brass have full Dynasty lines.