Writing a show

nextyearssnare

Hey guys,

I just graduated high school and am in college now. I've rewritten my high school's drum book for a while now, and the director there realized that I have a lot of creative ideas, so he requested that I write the whole show. I'm very flattered and excited at this idea, but I've never written wind parts before. I know basic four part writing, but nothing more than that. Do any of you guys have any suggestions?

well, i learned this from experience, make sure you have melody where you can hear it.

I can't offer much else, since i'm pretty new at this too. All i really have available is a euphonium, and since i can't play piano or guitar, that's how i come up with my music. Writing full wind scores through a euphonium. yup.

you need to know instrument ranges and where each instrument projects the best. What keys horniness can project the best in and play the easiest in. You also need to know how to build corps at impact points so that they utilize the most possible impact... if you want that impact. Basically you just need to know how to build chords to where they will be balanced at any volume. Maybe look for a cheap book on orchestration. It's a lot to type out on here... just do some research. And also orchestrating for a wind symphony should be different than a marching band.

OH, double the root. Euphoniums or 3rd or second baritone, or bass bone, are good things for that if available. Also, bari sax can double tuba, and tenor sax an octave above. THe bass in octaves is really effective.

I know basic four part writing, but nothing more than that.

The 4-part you know goes on the bottom. Then write all the good stuff on top of that, using close position chords and lots of unisons.

Outdoors, keep clarinets above the break and flutes in a higher register. Don't overtax the brass.

Study as many scores as you can get your mitts on.

And don't write drum parts for horn players.

you really should have some theory background behind you or be familiar with arranging and scoring for some sort of group first. Baptism by fire with something like this may not be the best route to go. Maybe get with someone who has done this before and joint write the wind & front end book. I have been writing for groups since 2003 and have a very extensive music theory & counterpoint behind me. Feel free to PM me. Best of luck with this adventure!

- Joey O.

you really should have some theory background behind you or be familiar with arranging and scoring for some sort of group first. Baptism by fire with something like this may not be the best route to go. Maybe get with someone who has done this before and joint write the wind & front end book. I have been writing for groups since 2003 and have a very extensive music theory & counterpoint behind me. Feel free to PM me. Best of luck with this adventure!

- Joey O.

What he said.