Teching visual for a drumline

This coming winter I'm going to be working with an indoor drumline as a visual tech. I've never worked with an indoor line before. As a matter of fact, I've not really done much visual with any kind of drumline before! I've done visual with winds in marching band and drum corps (I'm a trumpet player), but drumline marching is a bit different of course. Not to mention that the indoor drumline activity is a bit different than MB or DC. This indoor line will be in its first year of existence. Is there anyone out there that might be able to offer some advice? Like crab stepping, for instance, or how the winter drumline activity is different than outdoor? Thanks!

indoor drill is more about staging than form development. form development is a nice touch on top, but you have to start with good staging. as for crabbing - it's all about HEIGHT. as soon as they bend their knees, or touch their heels, or drop their weight, it's over. STRONG legs and a STRONG core are required. weak legs and core will make their drums bounce around as they move, which will make playing well even more difficult.

indoor drill is more about staging than form development. form development is a nice touch on top, but you have to start with good staging. as for crabbing - it's all about HEIGHT. as soon as they bend their knees, or touch their heels, or drop their weight, it's over. STRONG legs and a STRONG core are required. weak legs and core will make their drums bounce around as they move, which will make playing well even more difficult.

This! Other than that I recommend any body you try to program you attempt yourself with a drum on before asking the members to try it... having that drum(s) hanging off the front of you severely limits what you can program and what will look good.

All these tips sound great. I would also add on to review as many videos of WGI indoor lines as possible and take notes on the various styles of marching you see... Some groups use toe-down styles, some use variations of roll step techniques, etc. (I've seen many groups use toe-down, though, for indoor). Use what you think will work best for your kids and the style of your show. It's also helpful to keep in mind that indoor drill is usually a lot more hectic than corps (smaller spaces to travel + fast tempi ='s A LOT of "running", lol). Good Luck with your new indoor line! :whistle:

You wouldn't happen to be the vis tech for the new open line in Milwaukee by any chance?

Edited by JTarka

Foot timing and reps. Strengthen the core.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm the same. Brass player teching indoor percussion. You only have to learn a handful of basic principals about crabbing. . .many of which have already been discussed here. You can also chat with a battery person that you trust, but be able to articulate crab technique the same way you would traditional tech for a hornline.

Decide if they will march heel-ball-toe or platform on the forward march. The former is the outdoor way, but many indoor groups just march forward on the platform now.

Spend LOTS AND LOTS of time on the footwork with them. Prescribed methodology isn't as important as what they do must feel natural.

Now indoor movement. . .good luck. :thumbup:

Best tip I've ever gotten about crab marching: it should feel like you're pigeon-toed, or your toes will turn out and you'll wobble.

I'm guessing this is a michigan line? Class AAA for starters?

The guidelines are pretty clear. Multiple responsibilities are not allowed in this class (unless you plan on getting bumped). In which case, body is not expected.

Take the advice above about the crab technique and do your best to perfect it at a normal stepsize. This is all that will be required of a first year line in Michigan AAA or even Michigan AA. Focus on the raw basics and perfect the technique and you will have done your job for this year. That might not sound very exciting .. but that's how it works in MCGC.

Best of luck.