Whats the typically note range for trumpets in world class?

disclaimer: I don't play trumpet.

if you can comfortable get to E's, you should definitely have the range for 3rd part, and I would assume 2nd. Probably not enough for lead part, but again I'm sure others are much more knowledgeable about lead trumpet parts than I am.

Er...

If he can play an E above the staff, he can play any part. Having played 3rd last year, I never went over a D in the staff (an octave below that) in my entire show. Lead books will rarely go over D/E above the staff except for top splits and soloists.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Er...

If he can play an E above the staff, he can play any part. Having played 3rd last year, I never went over a D in the staff (an octave below that) in my entire show. Lead books will rarely go over D/E above the staff except for top splits and soloists.

I was just giving my best guess... you said he can play any part, and then also said he can't play lead, b/c some of the books will go to high. :thumbup:

Alright, here we go.

Most lead books won't really go above a high C all that often. If they do, it will only be for a short period of time. There are obviously exceptions to this, but most of the time when the lead part goes higher than this, it just happens to be solo/small group playing.

As far as cheater mouthpieces are concerned.....they don't exist. If it was created, it isn't cheating. The goal is to produce the best sound possible with the least bit of effort at all times. That is just called efficient playing. The number of players who can play with a good sound on what you would call a "cheater" piece is higher than I think you might realize.

Most staffs don't require matching sets of mouthpieces. They may encourage a matching set, yes. But the most important thing is sound and how everyone blends. A good horn player will be able to blend with what's around him/her. I mean, lets be serious here, it's drum corps, not a wind symphony. If I went to a camp and a staff member told me I had to play on x mouthpiece instead of my Monette, I'd walk right out without second thought. It is not smart teaching to force someone to play on a certain piece. If that were the case, we wouldn't have the dozens of different mouthpiece brands along with hundreds of varying sizes. Every person has what works for them, and what works for me probably doesn't work for you.

To the OP, go to that camp with a great attitude and a willingness to learn from some knowledgeable instructors, and it's more than likely you'll be all set. That is what is important. If you play as well as you've mentioned, you'll really have nothing to worry about if you have an open mind. Every corps is looking for quality while a very few number look for quantity (ie range).