Couldn't find the reference the OP was refering to, but did see the one where they touted 360 "interest" forms.

Interest forms vs RSVPs

Even if, say, a third of the 360 RSVP'd and a third of those were to be accepted through the process and made the financial commitment to march... I'd call that pretty good numbers.

If this did not include vets and considering they only had 19 age outs, I'd suppose they'd take those numbers any day.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many corps have auditions at multiple sites. Do the Troopers have auditions at places away from Wyoming? Troopers seemed to have several connections to Tennessee starting a few years ago - do they hold any auditions there? I do not know. Just wondering.

No matter how many people audition - it was great to have Troopers back in finals! Hope they have another great year in 2010!

I just checked the Troopers website. No Tennessee sites for auditions, but various aspects of the corps are slated to audition in Wyoming, Texas, and Idaho. I'm not sure if the total registered for all 3 sites comes to 451, but that is a possibility. Again, regardless of the number trying out, best of luck to the Troopers in 2010.

I'm sure an official person from the corps would rather clarify this, but here's my fairly educated guess if you wish to take it under consideration:

451 non-vet interest forms makes sense, and I trust Traute Gilbert's comment.

The satellite auditions in Texas (brass and guard) and Idaho (brass only) will take the numbers down for the Laramie camps. Additionally, I know that percussionists are auditioning at only one of the first two Laramie camps (there's a second camp in December, also an audition camp). So those that go in November to audition are not required to go in December, and vice versa. The percussion packet information tells applicants more about that.

I get the feeling that the person who posted that number on Facebook might not have realized the implications of interest forms vs. RSVPs for camps. Having said that, 451 NON VET interest forms is a no small feat for a corps that had 22 people at November camp in 2007.

Ray Bradbury would be proud of the Troopers.

Does anyone know why they did away with the Knoxville auditions this year? In 2008, I saw more Troopers t-shirts at the quarterfinals cinecast than any other corps. Of course, that was the year that Troopers spent a few days in East Tennessee before and after Atlanta regionals.

My guesses, in no particular order and without any firsthand knowledge of this particular issue:

1. Satellite audition camps are usually held where there's a connection via a staff member or alumni. (I think that goes for most corps) Troop may not have that connection any more with Knoxville and decided to use connections elsewhere.

2. It's possible the audition there didn't attract enough membership to offset the cost enough. (costs: flying key staff out, etc.) I could see spending the money again if there was a small loss, but with everyone's belt being tightened I would expect donations and souvie purchases by fans are probably going to be diminished. Frugality is going to play a key role for future success right now, IMO.

Does anyone know why they did away with the Knoxville auditions this year? In 2008, I saw more Troopers t-shirts at the quarterfinals cinecast than any other corps. Of course, that was the year that Troopers spent a few days in East Tennessee before and after Atlanta regionals.

My guess is because their staff that had the TN connections don't work there anymore.