Facilities

Yeah so I know you all know the biggest mistake in this idiom is to ##### about something you don't like, cuz like many of organizations I have been in the best way to deal with a complaint is to put that person in charge of whatever they are complaining about! :-) Yeah so I complained about facilities in my rookie year and here I am now in charge of them. So I thought I would throw this out here fishing for ideas. What are some tips or tricks you have used to securing or negotiating great and/or permanent facilities for your organization. I know there is a lot of great ideas out there,so I figured I gather as much ammo as I can. So, anything you guys have to offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Taters

We found do not be afraid to move a few miles or in our case a few kilometers. We found the schools are more receptive and it is cheaper in a small town 10 miles west of Kingston.

The schools in Kingston(city) proper were all to much $$$$ and we didn't have the proper space allocation. Our weekend is around 160.00 in our current location. Kingston high schools would be around 400.00 or better per camp.

I see you are with the Renegades. I found that with a Senior corps, if you are looking to secure practice and/or storage facilities at a local AL or VFW Post or Elks Lodge, it helps to point out how much they can take in at the 'adult beverage oasis' on a normally slack day such as a Sunday. This can also work for some otherwise open evenings too. After a rehearsal, the folks will usually hang out for a while and partake of the facilities and kitchen, if available. That plus a fee to the Post for each rehearsal indoors. Maybe even a pro bono performance for the Post, who has now become a sponsor, will enhance the deal for you and them.

It might not work for every corps, but I can tell you it works for at least 2 senior alumni corps in our area. The corps' have practice and storage and the Post gets rent and some business over the bar on days that would otherwise be 'dead' for them.

The corps is happy, the vets are happy. It's a win-win situation in most cases.

Ray

I see you are with the Renegades. I found that with a Senior corps, if you are looking to secure practice and/or storage facilities at a local AL or VFW Post or Elks Lodge, it helps to point out how much they can take in at the 'adult beverage oasis' on a normally slack day such as a Sunday. This can also work for some otherwise open evenings too. After a rehearsal, the folks will usually hang out for a while and partake of the facilities and kitchen, if available. That plus a fee to the Post for each rehearsal indoors. Maybe even a pro bono performance for the Post, who has now become a sponsor, will enhance the deal for you and them.

It might not work for every corps, but I can tell you it works for at least 2 senior alumni corps in our area. The corps' have practice and storage and the Post gets rent and some business over the bar on days that would otherwise be 'dead' for them.

The corps is happy, the vets are happy. It's a win-win situation in most cases.

Ray

That's a good thought Ray...may work for the pre-marching season at least. I remember my first drum corps ever rehearsed in a VFW post.

I've seen the post thing. It works, sometimes it can be quirky if the active post has sporting events and such on weekends that you need for rehearsal.

I've seen churches work well. If a number of your members are part of the same church, they'll sometimes let you use it for free and have storage handy too. Not without it's hitches though. Pro bono performance on occassion, some limited hope of bringing in a few more practitioners. Might have to mow the field that you intend to march on. And as always keep the place in good order and standing to stay on their good side.

Schools work too, but a lot of districts charge you to use their facilities these days. Which can add up. And doesn't include any sort of storage in the deal. Worst case use that open field next to the point where those two major interstates cross paths. And other progressively worse options. At a minimum, you should visit the facility before commiting to using it.

Although it depends on the size of your corps. If you're small, sometimes the parking lot at Schlotzsky's works. Someones living room. The storage facility where your gear is anyway. And other interesting places. Some easier to find than others. It does help knowing in advance and not having to research directions to EVERY camp.

But "Drum Corps is Evil" ain't gonna fly there.

Depends on the church.

One time when I was still in the juniors I was scoping out a DCA corps that was sponsered by an AL post. After they took a short break the brass instructor noticed that one of his baritone players was missing. When he asked where he was someone told him that he was still in the bar. When told to retrieve him there was no shortage of volunteers. True story! :rolleyes:

Are Renegades losing location "X" or is the bridge issue making this a must?

The only issue you will have with an all-age corps using a AL, VFW or similar location with a watering hole is making sure your members between 18 and 20.9999 don't get served. (I picked 18 because I think Renegades lower limit is that age.)

Regardless of where you end up, most places will want you to provide them with a certificate of liability insurance which names them as an additional insured.

If you are out of doors (or in a close residential neighborhood) you will want to have a positive relationship with the neighbors. That will require all involved to use decent manners, watch the language, not leave trash around, etc. The quickest way to alienate the neighbors is to have a cop show up.