has anyone been in this situation?

hey! My names justin and I marched back in 2003 and 2005, but kind of lost touch with the activity for a few years after my mom got ill and passed. I planned on marching this year though since it is my ageout and just recently got back to playing music again. I realized how much I missed it and am back in business =).

Has anyone been through a long break in marching and jumped back in, and do you have any tips for my audition? Anything would be great. Thanks!

hey! My names justin and I marched back in 2003 and 2005, but kind of lost touch with the activity for a few years after my mom got ill and passed. I planned on marching this year though since it is my ageout and just recently got back to playing music again. I realized how much I missed it and am back in business =).

Has anyone been through a long break in marching and jumped back in, and do you have any tips for my audition? Anything would be great. Thanks!

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I have never been in that type of situation, but I can tell you that once you have the talent, you'll probably never lose it, so you should just go for it. Good luck man! :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I have never been in that type of situation, but I can tell you that once you have the talent, you'll probably never lose it, so you should just go for it. Good luck man! :rolleyes:

Thanks! Yea my chops took a while to get back into it, still not quite where they used to be ( only been playing for 2 months since I stopped.) but I'm feeling better. The one thing I had a problem with is finding a mellophone if ur not in any band. I've haven't had one to play on till like a week ago, but i still think I'll be ok. hopefully. Just have to cram that solo into my memory! lol. Thanks again for the good luck wishes!

Edited by reelbigfishstix9

I've taken large breaks, but not for the reasons you have. Keep your head up and get back in shape. Two weeks out from the audition, take it easy, don't over do it. You want them to hear what you sound like at your best. Not what you look and sound like after a marathon. That doesn't really mean not to play at all. But if you're doing more than an hour a day the week of the audition, you might be shooting yourself in the foot. It's already going to be the best possible performance in the worst possible conditions if you've got any sort of traveling to do.

Very sorry about your mom. I took two years off and then marched my age out. If you've done it before then you know what to expect. One thing I would say however, is that if you've been out of touch with the activity for a few years don't necessarily come back expecting to fit right in to your former corps. A LOT can change in just a few years, for me I ended up marching with a different corps my age out year. Don't let that sway you, I'd give up the three years I marched first for the one year in the corps I aged out in. Good luck!

Hey Justin. I never marched corps, but I did lose my mom suddenly a few years ago. I'm sorry for your loss. It's unbelievably hard to deal with the illness then loss of a parent and the aftermath that comes with it. I know I had to take on a lot more responsibilities due to having a younger sibling. It kept me from continuing with some of my passions. However, like you are doing, I eventually got back in the saddle, so to speak. All of this is to say good luck with marching your age out. I'm sure it will feel amazing to be back out on that field doing what you love. Keep working hard and have fun! :rolleyes:

Very sorry about your mom. I took two years off and then marched my age out. If you've done it before then you know what to expect. One thing I would say however, is that if you've been out of touch with the activity for a few years don't necessarily come back expecting to fit right in to your former corps. A LOT can change in just a few years, for me I ended up marching with a different corps my age out year. Don't let that sway you, I'd give up the three years I marched first for the one year in the corps I aged out in. Good luck!

Sweet thanks, Yea my last year in 2005 I marched with spirit, But all the staff and people I know aren't there anymore. Most my friends I know down here where I live march cadets and crown, So i'm going to the crown camp. Thanks for all the good wishes!

Hey Justin. I never marched corps, but I did lose my mom suddenly a few years ago. I'm sorry for your loss. It's unbelievably hard to deal with the illness then loss of a parent and the aftermath that comes with it. I know I had to take on a lot more responsibilities due to having a younger sibling. It kept me from continuing with some of my passions. However, like you are doing, I eventually got back in the saddle, so to speak. All of this is to say good luck with marching your age out. I'm sure it will feel amazing to be back out on that field doing what you love. Keep working hard and have fun! :rolleyes:

sorry to here about ur mom too. It is tough, But I'm glad i'm going back. It's what she would have wanted me to do to begin with. She came to some of my shows and always enjoyed watching me performing Thanks guys!

Edited by reelbigfishstix9

I'm sorry to hear about your mother.

I took off three years because I couldnt afford drum corps but then scraped up enough for my age-out.

It was great to have that closure of aging out on the field....

If you had the chops to play before...it really wont take that long to get your endurance back.

If you havent been marching (in college or elsewhere) it may shock you to remember how hard it is to actually march and play at the same time.

Go for it!

I'm sorry to hear about your mother.

I took off three years because I couldnt afford drum corps but then scraped up enough for my age-out.

It was great to have that closure of aging out on the field....

If you had the chops to play before...it really wont take that long to get your endurance back.

If you havent been marching (in college or elsewhere) it may shock you to remember how hard it is to actually march and play at the same time.

Go for it!

My chops are coming back, I just wish I had more time on a mellophone =(. but I play my trumpet enough for now. That marching and playing thing is so true. I tried the other day and It's like I forgot how to keep the feet out of the sound. But soon enough hopefully it will all come back. The camp I'm attending is next week! ahh so excited :rolleyes: