New count for catching rifles?

Malibu

It must be the blonde in my summer highlights, but I'm confused. Are you saying that they catch every toss on an and count? I've always been taught that a 2 is 3 counts, a 3 is 3 1/2 counts, a 4 is 4 counts a 5 is caught on 4 and, etc. Of course thats when you're doing technique warm-ups. To match choreography I've taken liberty with the count structure.

So are you saying that they take an extra half count to catch a toss? Isn't that just fudging with the counts or as a group tossing it a little higher and compensating with the spin to keep the same number of revolutions? Why would this make it cleaner? I will buy more visual if its higher, but a clean toss starts from the prep, not the number of counts.

Edited by CVKate

It must be the blonde in my summer highlights, but I'm confused. Are you saying that they catch every toss on an and count? I've always been taught that a 2 is 3 counts, a 3 is 3 1/2 counts, a 4 is 4 counts a 5 is caught on 4 and, etc. Of course thats when you're doing technique warm-ups. To match choreography I've taken liberty with the count structure.

So are you saying that they take an extra half count to catch a toss? Isn't that just fudging with the counts or as a group tossing it a little higher and compensating with the spin to keep the same number of revolutions? Why would this make it cleaner? I will buy more visual if its higher, but a clean toss starts from the prep, not the number of counts.

Yes, from what I understand (and will verify when my kids go to the next camp) is that every toss is caught on the "and" count. It's not that the toss is higher, it's because there are more revolutions in the actual spin.

Like they'll toss a double on one but catch in on the "and" of 2. If you are "lobing" (very slow revolutions) then you would see the toss go up higher and catch on count 3.

OK, wait. I'm confused. A "normal" double would toss on one and catch on three, right? So if you are throwing on one and catching on "two-and," that toss is gong to have less height and a faster spin, isn't it (rather that more height)?

OK, wait. I'm confused. A "normal" double would toss on one and catch on three, right? So if you are throwing on one and catching on "two-and," that toss is gong to have less height and a faster spin, isn't it (rather that more height)?

BINGO Marianne......less height with more spin. :P

I have to say, depending on the music, I seem to remember doing both, as well as throwing on both!

depends on the tempo and untimately, when you want it caught...GENERALLY my high school tosses singles on 1 and catches on 2, doubles are caught on 3....triples are caught on 3 and, quads are caught on 4.

GENERALLY my high school tosses singles on 1 and catches on 2, doubles are caught on 3....triples are caught on 3 and, quads are caught on 4.

That's pretty much how I remember toss counts too. IIRC, back in the 70's the Troopers would actually catch their triples on 4. Anyone remember that way of tosses they had, where they would (hard to explain/describe) sort of "hang on" to the rifle a half spin or so during the release, then sort of "push" the rifle into the air for the actual release.

Being a Trooper fan, I naturally taught myself how to do their releases. They were actually a bit easier (at least on doubles) to do. I always frustrated my guard instructor when I did a Trooper Toss while we were practicing. Thinking back now, I wonder what the heck I was doing, trying to do Trooper style in a BK guard! No wonder my poor instructor was frustrated!