Just when you think DCI can't #### you off anymore...

DCI is " Marching Band ". The girl was precise.... and accurate. I don't see the controversy here.

DCI is not " Drum and Bugle Corps ". I don't see how anyone can legitimately hold that view. There are no " bugles ". No one disagrees with this anymore. At least I would hope not. A " bugle " is not " a trumpet ". The cone, pitch, key, etc are different. We all know this. Or at least I think so, anyway. ( notice I did not say " bugle " or " trumpet " is " better " )

So, she was accurate. She said " it's marching band ".

What am I missing here as far as her comments being controversial.... or inaccurate.... or that would make someone mad ?

Well, we would say "Drum and Bb/F brass corps," but that really doesn't roll off the tounge....

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCI is " Marching Band ". The girl was precise.... and accurate. I don't see the controversy here.

DCI is not " Drum and Bugle Corps ". I don't see how anyone can legitimately hold that view. There are no " bugles ". No one disagrees with this anymore. At least I would hope not. A " bugle " is not " a trumpet ". The cone, pitch, key, etc are different. We all know this. Or at least I think so, anyway. ( notice I did not say " bugle " or " trumpet " is " better " )

What am I missing here as far as her comments being controversial.... or inaccurate.... or that would make someone mad ?

I marched in a drum corps. So did thousands of other people that marched once they stop being true bugles (about 60 years ago i think). I also dont really care if people call it marching band on occassion. Hows that for lack of controversy?

Well, we would say "Drum and Bb/F brass corps," but that really doesn't roll off the tounge....

Put a banana under it....it'll slip right off....

But, according to us (aka correct people), drum corps stopped being drum corps right around 1856.

YOU ALL DID SUMMER MARCHING BAND.

You know, it the civil war, they played Eb instruments that faced backward ...because the band was in from of the dudes with guns.

Eb =/= G ... NOT DRUM CORPS

(but still pretty hardcore!!!)

relax guys, its just band... haha

I would tend to agree with her

To me drumcorps (and coincidentally the reason I did it for 6 years) is all the stuff not on the football field. The trips, tours, bus rides, camps, free days and all the people that become friends in a way you really cant duplicate in a regular marching band (i.e. being next to the same people 24/7 for 3 months)

Well, it depends on the definition of "bugle" you employ. First, there's the real definition of bugle. By that definition, drum corps became marching band when the first valve was added. Maybe even earlier with that trigger thingy. Adding "alto" and "tenor" voices that were mysteriously similar to instruments used in marching bands was also pretty suspect. That may have just been a coincidence.

Then there's the definition made up especially for drum corps by a certain class of drum corps veterans so they can pout about the current era. My that definition, drum corps died in 2000.

relax guys, its just band... haha

I would tend to agree with her

To me drumcorps (and coincidentally the reason I did it for 6 years) is all the stuff not on the football field. The trips, tours, bus rides, camps, free days and all the people that become friends in a way you really cant duplicate in a regular marching band (i.e. being next to the same people 24/7 for 3 months)

HEY!!! We tried telling the bad guys that already, but it didnt work. Now we're resorting to banana, among other things.