Just when you think DCI can't #### you off anymore...

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct, and thanks for contributing in a meaningful and respectful way.

Though passionate about drum corps, I'm really not angry. Admittedly, I do love to debate, and I try to express myself in ways that may illicit thoughtful and committed ideas of others in rebuttal, but I don't want to come off as rude.

Moving on.

I personally enjoy posters who present their opinion in an interesting manner. That make me think. And offer compelling arguments....whether I agree, or disagree. You have accomplished this in your postings on this thread in my opinion.

Don't be a stranger to future postings, nemesiscorps.

I think another funny thing here is that many 'older people' (using the term loosely) claim that the kids marching now dont have a grasp or appreciation of the tradition that makes up drum corps. Yet when we call our instruments sops, or contras, or when we try to tell people we marched drum corps, we get a little pat on the head, and get told "now, now, everyone knows it became marching band in year XXXX, but dont worry, its still good....just not drum corps" It's like people that marched in previous decades are somehow embarrassed by what drum corps is now, and are trying to keep the phrase all to themselves by making sure it isnt used any more. I personally hope it never goes away, just to bother those types of people.

Well, this sure was a divisive posting that has little to do with the OP's thread.

So, we are back on track... this thread is about a Carolina Crown marcher telling in an inocuous way that what she does in DCI is " Marching Band ". She was assailed for this. After reading 30 pages worth of postings, we don't see " older people " on here being angry with the marcher, nor setting out to purposely " bother people " who might have a different opinion from them.

But some want to be divisive and go off on a tangent and attack " many older people ( term used loosely ) " and what not. I don't think such postings are relevant. But maybe that's just me.

Well, this sure was a divisive posting that has little to do with the OP's thread.

So, we are back on track... this thread is about a Carolina Crown marcher telling in an inocuous way that what she does in DCI is " Marching Band ". She was assailed for this. After reading 30 pages worth of postings, we don't see " older people " on here being angry with the marcher, nor setting out to purposely " bother people " who might have a different opinion from them.

But some want to be divisive and go off on a tangent and attack " many older people ( term used loosely ) " and what not. I don't think such postings are relevant. But maybe that's just me.

Banana.

I mean if Donnie Van Doren, Scott Boerma, Jay Bocook, Wayne Downey, Van Mathews, Andre Feagin, Nick Williams, Dough Thrower agree with you, and would share the same sentiment, I would be the first to change my tune on the issue, but unless one of these brass experts comes out and states the same opinion as you, or someone versed in brass pedagoy, design, or construction comes out and reiterates your feelings, then I must keep my stance on the issue.

We could line up all the most learned scientists and learned theologians of the 13th century, and they'd all tell you that the world was flat too. 99% of the people believed these scholars back then. But it was the 1% that moved the oceans and the seas to go and detemine this " truth " for themselves.

But we digress.

Edited by BRASSO

They are relevant, because the issue has come up in this thread, and on this forum. Were you not just a few pages ago wondering why people get offended or upset when someone calls it marching band? I merely provided one possible explanation. Not accusing you of having this motive, and furthermore, I've played the other side of the argument in this very thread, making jokes about it just being band, and remarking that it made perfect sense for the member to phrase her reply as she did. I am simply trying to do something that is so rarely done on dcp - make a point, clarify it, and stick to it.

That point being - the current or recently aged-out member doesnt mind when their corps experience is called 'band', and may even engage in jokes or activities themselves during the season that reinforce this view. The only time it is NOT ok, is when someone (whether is an 17 year old jock, or a 65 year old FMM) belittles their experience as something less than what they did by calling it marching band. I hardly consider that a tangent, or an attack- rather, it's clarifying a point that has been hinted at throughout the entire thread, but due to the pace at which this thing has moved, has not really been nailed down.

They are relevant, because the issue has come up in this thread, and on this forum. Were you not just a few pages ago wondering why people get offended or upset when someone calls it marching band? I merely provided one possible explanation. Not accusing you of having this motive, and furthermore, I've played the other side of the argument in this very thread, making jokes about it just being band, and remarking that it made perfect sense for the member to phrase her reply as she did. I am simply trying to do something that is so rarely done on dcp - make a point, clarify it, and stick to it.

That point being - the current or recently aged-out member doesnt mind when their corps experience is called 'band', and may even engage in jokes or activities themselves during the season that reinforce this view. The only time it is NOT ok, is when someone (whether is an 17 year old jock, or a 65 year old FMM) belittles their experience as something less than what they did by calling it marching band. I hardly consider that a tangent, or an attack- rather, it's clarifying a point that has been hinted at throughout the entire thread, but due to the pace at which this thing has moved, has not really been nailed down.

The Carolina Crown member was the subject of scorn... profanity laced scorn..... because she said in the inteview that what she does at DCI is " Marching Band ". She did not use the term " Marching Band" in a scornful way, a ridiculing way, a tonque in cheek way, nor in a critical way, a joking way, nor even in a way to generate positive reactions way.

She said it simply in a MATTER OF FACT way. It should have been taken in the manner in which she said it. The fact that SOME on here decided to turn this into an old vs. young, or tradtional vs. progressive, or are drawing up images of what " Marching Band " conjures up in THEIR heads, or draws up in other's heads is frankly THEIR problem. That's because the Crown member never intended a slight to either " Marching Bands" or " Drum Corps ". And her depiction of what she does in DCI ( my opinion ) is accurate..... and it's not a negative, nor a positive, unless some want it to be so in their personal definition and image of " Marching Band ".

Edited by BRASSO